Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extra satellite or second router

stevedavis
Aspirant

Extra satellite or second router

Currently with Comcast and a 500 mbps plan.  I have the RBK50 with one satellite.  One of the kids rooms seems to have more issues with wifi due to distance and the number of walls the signal needs to go through.  We do have a coax cable connection available in the room.  Was wondering if I should get another satellite or if I can set up another modem in that room so I can direct connect the computer to an ethernet cable?

Appreciate your thoughts

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

correct. If you have moca in the xb6, then you'd just need a compatible adapter where you wanted service. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Most isp's only allow 1 modem unless you pay for another line. 

But you could use a moca adapter (ethernet over coax)

Or add a satellite. either option would work. 

The RBS40V has been on sale lately on amazon for pretty reasonable price. And it might be beneficial for the added coverage. 

Message 2 of 8
stevedavis
Aspirant

If I use a moca adapter,  other than the router connection do I need to use one at every cable connection or can I just use them where needed?  Wasn't sure if I needed one where I have the main cable box.  

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can use one where ever needed. Just make sure the coax cables are linked. I've seen someone who had them not connected in the utility room and couldn't figure out why the system wouldn't work. 

Message 4 of 8
stevedavis
Aspirant

One more question as I'm thinking the moca adapters might be the way to go.  If I set up the moca adapter on the Xfi modem and main Orbi,  will the satellite require an adapter too?  Just don't have a good spot for the satellite where there's a coax outlet. 

Appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I guess I'd like a little more clarity. 

Moca adapters basically allow you to use a coax line as ethernet. 

You only really need 2. One on the primary router and then 1 where you want a connection. You can add others if your wanting more hardwired connections somewhere. 

Your orginal question was about adding another satellite. You might not need a moca adapter if you use another satellite. 

Message 6 of 8
stevedavis
Aspirant

The reason I want to move forward with the moca adapters is one of the rooms has a lot of lag and drops on zoom even with a seemingly good wifi signal.  I was initially thinking another satellite but thought I would try the moca setup.  Have an XB6 with Moca enabled, bridge mode disabled,  wifi off and Orbi as router.  With Moca built in the XB6,  I'm assuming I don't need an adapter connected to the modem/router but just at the coax sources where needed.  Is that correct?  

Thank you

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

correct. If you have moca in the xb6, then you'd just need a compatible adapter where you wanted service. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7