Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extremely large home set up guidance

Nova555
Aspirant

Extremely large home set up guidance

Hello all and I sincerely apologize for the long read ahead,

I have an extremely large 3 story home --(I am unsure about sq meters, my dad said 4800 sq meters but I suspect this includes our entire estate) --with thick concrete walls and marble tiles. As a frame of reference, my bedroom has a living room area with a couch and coffee table. I don't know if this helps some of you to envision the size or not, (think large hotel suite style room), but I hope it does. My apologies for not being able to be more clear.

My current set up is the RBR50 router (connected to a small switch hub which I assume runs to the modem) + 2 satellites in a daisy chain configuration. The RBR is running in router mode with FW v2.3.5.30 installed. I have a 60mbps/60mbps connection. I know, it's not fast but it gets the job done for us. My concern is coverage. 

I don't know what the make and model of my modem is because the ISP people came and installed everything when I wasn't home, I have no clue where the modem even is as the estate is huge and getting ahold of them is hard (I'm in Cambodia). That being said, the speed is running near maximum (I'm getting constant speeds of 58-59mbps wireless which is exactly the same as my wired desktop).

Here's where I need help:

The router and satellites are all located on the second floor, this is because whenever I moved satellite B to the ground floor which is technically just around 10 meters away from the other satellite, I get a magenta ring. This was extremely weird because the first 2 days that I set up the system, I got a blue ring at the ground floor albeit with a "Poor" backhaul status, then one day I got home from work and it turned magenta. I've tried to no avail moving this satellite all around the ground floor area but can no longer get that first blue ring. Therefore, I moved it up to the second floor, about 8 meters from satellite A to get the blue ring.

Signal strength at my brother's room on the 3rd floor is 2 bars on his phone but the speed is still near maxed out (love this thing). 

I have another pack of RBK53-100UKS (1 router + 2 satellites) stuck in customs from Amazon but will be released to me soon.

The areas that still need to be covered are:

-Backyard meeting room (this room is a small seperate house on the ground floor in the backyard that we use for meetings, it is about 15-20 meters away from the RBR50 router which is situated in my second floor bedroom)

-Backyard kitchen/maids' living space (a larger structure that has a small dining room, main kitchen and rooms for our maids to sleep in) situated about 30-35 meters away from the RBR50 router one floor below

-Large fine dining hall near pool, roughly 40-45 meters away one floor below

As the house is almost entirely marble, we have to rely solely on wireless backhaul. Ethernet backhaul is not an option because apparently no contractor here wants to risk damaging our marble walls. 

Would I be able to use the 2 additional satellites normally + run the extra RBR50 router in AP mode to act kind of like a satellite wirelessly as well? I wouldn't mind using regular cheap extenders to extend to the back because all they need back there is the ability to use WhatsApp and Facebook along with light youtube streaming but I figured since I already ordered the bundle, I might as well use it. Would love to hear from the community as to how I should proceed. Again sorry for the long read!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extremely large home set up guidance

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Is Daisy Chain enabled? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
https://kb.netgear.com/000048460/How-do-I-disable-daisy-chain-topology-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
https://kb.netgear.com/000048459/How-can-I-see-if-my-Orbi-WiFi-System-is-using-daisy-chain

Set the following and see:
Pv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can use RBSY out door satellites for any coverage out side of the home. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7