Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extremely slow performance with Orbi satellite

landlord11
Follower

Extremely slow performance with Orbi satellite

Hi, I have owned an Orbi system since last November (single RBR50 and RBS50) and have found it to be very reliable.  Today I decided to install an Orbi setup for my mom (also RBR50 and RBS50).

I have the router setup as an access point, and it is working great.  The satellite is connected and working, but I'm seeing extremely slow throughput when connected to the satellite.

To test this, I placed the satellite in the same room as the router.  They are approximately 10 ft apart with a clear line of sight.  If I run a speedtest while connected to the router via wireless I get ~70 Mbps.  If I connect to the satellite via wireless _or Ethernet_ and run a speedtest, I get ~3.5 Mbps.  Since it is slow over Ethernet I assume it is a problem with the backhaul.

I tried downgrading to 1.8.0.6 and did a factory reset but it didn't help on both units but it didn't help.  Since then I upgraded the firmware back to the latest (1.12.0.18).

So, has anyone else seen such extreme slow speeds with the satellite?  Or is it possible I got stuck with bad hardware and should exchange it?

Thank you!

Brian

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello landlord11 

Can you try to re position the satellite and test again or even move it close to the router to test.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Igott
Star

Having the same issues for the past 3-4 months, Speedtest is slow and many timeouts when I ping even the local default gateway. Only seems to happen with the satellite unit and has become very frustrating to deal with this. Support has provided firmware betas that had helped in the past then the problem comes back. My house is only 2000 square feet!

Message 3 of 5
Igott
Star

Having the same issue with the satellite for 3 months and it’s impacting things like my Wifi baby monitor, work and phone calls as well as smarthome devices which is unacceptable and false advertising!

Is a fix coming, I have the two unit configuration covering a 2000 square foot house and this setup is supposed to cover twice this square footage. The annoying thing is everything worked great for 5-6 months then all of sudden an issue. Support keeps giving me a run around with no real answer except they know something is wrong, I’m to the point I want to exchange my satalite but support at netgear is telling me that won’t fix the problem!

Well if that’s the case I won’t my $350 back so I can buy a product that works as advertised!

Ion
Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@Igott wrote:
Having the same issue with the satellite for 3 months and it’s impacting things like my Wifi baby monitor, work and phone calls as well as smarthome devices which is unacceptable and false advertising!

Is a fix coming, I have the two unit configuration covering a 2000 square foot house and this setup is supposed to cover twice this square footage. The annoying thing is everything worked great for 5-6 months then all of sudden an issue. Support keeps giving me a run around with no real answer except they know something is wrong, I’m to the point I want to exchange my satalite but support at netgear is telling me that won’t fix the problem!

Well if that’s the case I won’t my $350 back so I can buy a product that works as advertised!

Ion

You should try moving the router and satellite so they are closer together and/or have fewer walls between them. Placement is critical for the satellite to work well.

If you already tried this, try it again with different placement. Move them closer together than you want and see if things are stable. If they are stable but closer than you like, move them farther apart every day or two untill you have issues again, and you should have an idea of the maximum range. 

Other people have had to move their systems after the most recent firmware.  It seems the most recent firmware changed something that reduced the router-to-satellite range somewhat.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7