Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FINALLY got the ORBI not to drop connection!

Yld2rob
Luminary

FINALLY got the ORBI not to drop connection!

OK. As some of you know, I have had nothing but disconnects from the Orbi system for the last 2 months (I even exchanged the Orbi system for a new one to ensure I did not get a defective unit). I have found a solution that works for me and my Internet provider. I have Verizon FIOS (but do not have TV services, so I am NOT require oir should have to use a Verizon router). I thought, let me just try to use the verizon router (turned off wireless) and placed the Orbi in AP mode and see if that makes a difference or not. Well I did that and have since been running the Orbi for 3 days without disconnects. I know, I totally should be able to plug in the connection from the Verizon ONT via CAT 5 cable right to the Orbi router and everthing should work fine. I think it is for sure a Netgear firmware issue that will hopefully be fixed soon. In the meantime, I will keep the Verizon router and use the Orbi in AP mode. I hope this helps other Verizon users.

Message 1 of 34

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FINALLY got the ORBI not to drop connection!

Hello Everyone

We have release firmware version 1.12.0.18 this firmware has fixes for disconnects and many more I posted the release notes below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

If you are still having issues after updating your Orbi unit you may want to factory reset the Orbi and test again. If you are still having disconnect issues or other issues with this firmware please create a new thread or contact our support team.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thanks

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 34

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Good finding. May explain why many people have no issues. I'm in AP mode myself with no problems. 

Hopefully the info will help Netgear find a solution. 

Message 2 of 34
superben79
Apprentice

Hi I am running orbi in router mode, connecting to the Fios router with wifi off. I am experiencing some slow down and disconnected as well. 

So so I can just change the orbi from router mode to ap mode? Can I continue to use thr orbi for wifi with the same ssid/pwd as before? What do I gain and lose if I switch to the ap mode?

Message 3 of 34
st_shaw
Master

@superben79 wrote:

Hi I am running orbi in router mode, connecting to the Fios router with wifi off. I am experiencing some slow down and disconnected as well. 

So so I can just change the orbi from router mode to ap mode? Can I continue to use thr orbi for wifi with the same ssid/pwd as before? What do I gain and lose if I switch to the ap mode?

If you still have the FiOS router it's usually best to run the Orbi in AP mode anyway. You lose the router functions of the Orbi, but they aren't anything special, and your FiOS router will handle routing. 

Message 4 of 34
saronian
Star

That's how I have mine setup with sonic.net service using a Pace 5268ac modem/router.

Pace WiFi off, Orbi on AP mode. No problems with MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Apple TV, iPad Pro, iPhone 7, TiVo Roamio+Stream.

WiFi transfer speeds are 45+ Megabytes per second between MacBook Pro and Mac mini. WiFi Tx Rate shows as 780 Mbs.

Message 5 of 34
thebishop
Apprentice

It would be great if it was nailed down to that (I am running in Router mode and having problems with dropped Wifi connections as outlined in another thread) - then Netgear engineering would have an easier time fixing it.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 34
ZKChoi
Tutor

Has anyone solved this one yet?  I purchased a single satellite system in mid-Feb and never went more than 3 hours without losing internet connectivity.   I have since replaced it with another Orbi- thinking I had a defective unit.   I have not yet opened the box yet, hoping I'll find a definitive reason why my unit was bad or I set it up incorrectly before I start this process over.  My nest cameras, thermostat and protect units would constantly loose internet connectivity, as would my alarm system and insteon system. at one point my Dynamic DNS registered 35 updates in 15 days.  Before switching to Orbi, my internet connection and router was rock solid - never power cycled the unit in 2.5 years.  Now, about my setup:

I have Verizon Fios with and Actiontek MI424WR Rev I router.   From the onset my Orbi internet connection would disconnect. At first the Orbi was in router mode, I switched it to AP mode thinking that would solve the problem.  It didnt.  Multiple times I logged into the UI and notice my "connection stats" under Advanced tab would show "connected" but the magenta ring would light up and all internet traffic would stop...OR, I could be logged into the Genie and notice it would turn red in my icon tray - again with the internet connection....  after observing this multiple times I factory reset the unit an started over.  I did this twice.    The final straw was to disconnect the unit and power it down, place my actiontek into full MoCA bridge mode and start over.  This time with the Orbi in router mode getting IP directly from Verizon.  I did this and after 2 hours, the same problem would start again - flaky internet connection.   I really like the coverage and power of this system, but i won't sacrafice stability for a few dB coverage gain.  Even if it means returning the unit and going old school with a high quality router and extenders.  I really want to like this system - but it has to be stable.  Hoping other posters have success with Fios either in full bridged MocA OR by directly using CAT5 from the ONT - I'm willing to go with whichever is more stable... suggestions welcome

Message 7 of 34
jxrxme
Star

I can't confirm this. I use my Orbi in AP mode and get frequent disconnects. But only in one specific room, elsewhere it just works perfect.

Message 8 of 34
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Zkchoi

What you can do is make sure MuMIMO is turned off also beam forming and have the latest firmware. Then you can try moving your satellite around some times if the units are to close it can cause some dropping issues. 

DarrenM

Message 9 of 34
ZKChoi
Tutor

thanks Darren.  Since my original post, I installed my new Orbi.   This time leaving MUMIMO and Beamforming off.  This time I also set the unit up connected directly to the Verizon ONT via Cat 5.    I left the unit in this mode overnight with no changes to the default configuration nor did I add any devices.  Basically just to monitor the internet connection. It was rock solid.  no lost connectivity and same public IP addresses overnight.   I slowly started adding wired and wireless connections and have been running all of my connected things for 4 days.  I'm pleased to say the unit has been stable and coverage has been great.   I must have had a flaky unit, or the unit just didn't switching between AP/Router and MOCA bridged modes very well.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Message 10 of 34
Cyberquester
Initiate

I too have Verizon (now Frontier) FIOS. I installed Orbi in AP mode in Oct and it worked fantastically with very consistent fast wireless throughout the entire house and no connection issues. The satellite is downstairs with the main unit upstairs next to the Verizon Router, they are about 24ft apart with several wooden walls in between and I have not turned off any of the advanced features such as beamforming. I've had no problems at all but about six weeks ago I decided I wanted access to the management features in the Orbi so I switched the Orbi to Router mode and disabled all router functions in the Verizon Router. So far so good. I had one wireless connection issue two weeks ago which was solved by rebooting the Orbi. I am running the current firmware V1.8.0.6 and have the cable still running 1st to the Verizon Router (I have TV) with all router functions disabled then via a LAN port to the WAN port on the Orbi, the Orbi is wired via its LAN port to a 16 port GB switch, for all my wired devices. The entire network both wired and wireless is managed by the Orbi and is running the fastest it ever has. The network has every kind of device you can imagine connected including several that use the Intel AC-7260 which I understand is causing some folks intermittent connection issues. I realize my response does not address a fix for the posted issue but it is evidence that Orbi can be used successfully in both AP and Router modes with Verizon (Frontier) FIOS without issue. I hope you find the cause of the problem.

Message 11 of 34
ZKChoi
Tutor

Thanks for the responses all.  I think I figured it out....  I finally moved my Orbi to a different location where I could connect CAT5e directly from the ONT into the WAN port on the main unit.    I had to call Verizon tech support to get them to do this.  After moving to ethernet from the ONT, I monitored the Orbi WAN connection for about 2.5 hours (DHCP lease period for me is 2Hrs).  once I knew I could maintain the WAN IP and the connection, I slowly started connecting Wifi and ethernet devices over 2-3 days.   For reference the ONT/Orbi connection is:

ONT-->(Cat5e)-->Orbi (WAN)/Orbi(LAN)-->(Cat5e)-->Actiontek WAN-->(Coax)-->ONT

Since doing this my connection has been solid and the RF coverage in my house is FANTASTIC.  I have all of the FiOS guide info On Demand functions.   The only small issue is that I can't get my NestOutdoorCam to connect to a satellite unit 20' away.  It seems to want to connect to the main unit even though a WiFi analyzer right beside the NestCam shows my RF signal at -69dBm...Other than the Nest issue, I'm very happy with my Orbi system.    

I think the having the Orbi behind the Actiontek (in AP or Routing modes) and switching modes a few times caused problems for me.  

Message 12 of 34
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I like the advice on how you were able to get your Orbi to stabilize but this is not a solution. You have to use another router and have your Orbi set to AP mode is not they reason why I bought this product. It no longer works the way we expected it to by doing this. 

Message 13 of 34
stavrosg
Star

Confirmed, switching to Ap mode and reusing my R7000 running tomato as the router solved my problems. Orbi is now an excellent Ap solution. 

Message 14 of 34
KCosta
Initiate

My NEST Outdoor Cam kept disconnecting (multiple times/day) from my WiFi, until I turned off the beam forming and Mu-Mimu features.  Have had no dropped connections since. 

Message 15 of 34
jleecloak1
Apprentice

You haven't had them yet but give it time you will. This is a known workaround to improving the connection issues but it doesn't fix the problem. 

Message 16 of 34
Mikey94025
Hero

@jleecloak1 wrote:

You haven't had them yet but give it time you will.

My 3 Nest cameras have not disconnected once (when my internet did not also go out) ever since November once I disabled beamforming.  Please don't make generalized statements without data.  Your environment may be unstable but that doesn't mean everyone's is as bad.

Message 17 of 34
jleecloak1
Apprentice

My Orbi disconnecting my devices and rebooting had nothing to do with my environment. I have removed the Orbi from my network and reconnected my ASUS router and have been running smooth every since. Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. You actually look like an idiot for posting that when this message board is flooded with people complaining about the same issue. Have a nice day.

Message 18 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Mikey, don't make a generalized statement about stability until you check your own backhaul. Please prove us all wrong and show how stable it is...
Message 19 of 34
timch
Luminary

I don't wish to encourage the emotion but I would like to add that my Orbi + 1 is now running great with the latest beta firmware.  My iPad and other iOS devices were a problem under the latest stock firmware but now even the connection speeds have gone up in the garden where I was marginal at best for any connectivity before. 

Message 20 of 34
rhester72
Virtuoso

What BobertSaget said...if you haven't looked specifically at the backhaul signal with an external application, you may _think_ all is well depending on your usage pattern and where things happen to connect, but you are probably still having issues you may not even be aware of.  Check backhaul (see the thread on that subject) and let us know.

Rodney

Message 21 of 34
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I have had many wireless routers from Buffalo, ASUS, Netgear, Dlink, you name it. I have never had to go to a message board or contact the company support team because I have had issues with the routers reliability.

It says a lot to have so many users complaining about the Orbi. If the Orbi is working great for you then that's wonderful, but I don't come to this message board to post a fake user experience. All I want is a dependable product that was advertised to be the best among the competition at the time of my purchase and I am finding out that it is actually one of the worst. 

Also the people who seem to think that disabling the default functionality or placing the router in AP mode is a fix, are you serious? I have spent hours/days and have installed multiple firmware upgrades and nothing has changed. So far this product has been a failure. I notice the disconnects more frequently than others because I spend a great deal of my time online because of my job and daily routine. So I am very aware of the quality of the Orbi and it has nothing to do with my devices.

Message 22 of 34
rsandyii
Initiate

I was having all the same problems with disconnects.  I agree that switching to AP mode doesn't make sense given the amount of money I had to shell out for the Orbi.  I was able to fix my issues by updating to the latest firmware.  For those that are interested in trying, here's a link to the latest firmware on the Netgear site:  https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

Message 23 of 34
KCosta
Initiate

Updated my Orbi firmware to version 1.11.0.20 (Router + 2 satellites). Then I activated the Beamforming and Mu-Mimo options to test for wifi connection stability. The Outdoor Nest Cam dropped repeatedly afterwards. Had to deactivate those options (beam form/Mu), again, to maintain a reliable wifi connection.
Message 24 of 34
SpeedMe
Tutor

This is also my first time lurking forum for a router that keeps disconnecting and slow speeds.  

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7