Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FRUSTRATED WITH MY ORBI RBR50v2 AND RBS50's! Keeps dropping connection & ethernet ports wont

JYDLC
Aspirant

FRUSTRATED WITH MY ORBI RBR50v2 AND RBS50's! Keeps dropping connection & ethernet ports wont work!

Help!! My Orbi system keeps dropping connections and my LAN ethernet ports wont work. I recently selected the auto firmware update to 2.5.2.4 ( i dont remeber what the prior version was) and after I installed it all my troubles began! My system is now constantly dropping wifi on numberous devices and my ethernet ports on the router RBR50v2 will no longer work and appear on my Laptop as "unidenitified network" with no internet connect so it forces my Laptop to connect via Wifi which only is stable for a few hours before that drops connection too. Prior to the 2.5.2.4 update my system was running pretty solid prior with no issues. Last night after reading through the community posts I manually updated the firmware to 2.7.2.102 and at first it seem to fix the issues after I installed and did a power cycle reboot but then the very next day my troubles started all over again with connection loss and LAN ethernet ports not working. 

Has anyone had this issue? I really need some help.

I thought about trying the 2.7.1.60 firmware update but i wasnt sure if i can go from 2.7.2.102 to 2.7.1.60. Can I? I wish i could just go back to the prior firmware update before 2.5.2.4 but i dont remember what version that was. Help!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: FRUSTRATED WITH MY ORBI RBR50v2 AND RBS50's! Keeps dropping connection & ethernet ports wont

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What wired devices do you have connected? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update to v102? 

You might try v16 since it was prior v4 when you notice you started having problems.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 2 of 24
JYDLC
Aspirant

It's OK to go from the v102 to V61?
Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can go from v102 to v16. 

IF you do, downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

Message 4 of 24
JYDLC
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes you can go from v102 to v16. 

IF you do, downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

Well I got the firmware back to V16 but still having the same issue. The connection from the router is just not stable and LAN ethernet ports still will not work from the RBR50v2. The satellites also show offline from time to time but i swear it seems like they are still working and connected. Its very weird. When i do try to wire connect to my routers RBR50v2 LAN port the latop says i have an INVALID IP.

Funny thing though that I was able to use one of the LAN ethernet ports from a Satellite RBS50 and it worked right away and perfectly and stayed connected just fine. I am not sure why the RBR50v2's LAN etherernet ports will not work but the RBS50 LAN ports will work . Very ODD! I am wondering if the router has just gone bad now?

Another weird thing too is that i am not able to connect to my ORBI via the android app now. It keeps tell me my password is invalid but yet i can login into the orbi through my laptop with no issue. I even tried to uninstall and re-install and it still has same issue. 

I know its not my laptop that is giving me issues since I was able to to be wired connected through a satillite RBS50 and at my office network which is not an ORBI system.

I dont think its a Modem issue either but just in case here is my Modem info. 

ISP: Spectrum with 400MBPS Ultra internet

My current modem is a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem / Voice Equipment

Manufacturer
Spectrum (ubee)
Model
E31U2V1

My Orbi is a RBR50v2 Router with 2xRBS50 Satellites. 

Help FURRYe38!

Message 5 of 24
vajim
Master

..."I manually updated the firmware to 2.7.2.102"

perhaps this is where your problems started.

Message 6 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Seems you've made a lot of firmware changes in last few days and it hasn't solved your issue. Since the firmware update/downgrade have you power-cycled your modem? Have you tried doing a factory reset of the RBR and RBS's then doing a reconfigure from scratch? If not, please try that. When reconfiguring DO NOT USE a backup config file. It could contain corrupt code. Also, be absolutely certain the RBS and RBR are on the exaxct same FW version! Always update the RBS FW first, then the RBR last.

Many times (in my experience with my ORBI over 4 years), after a FW update the ORBI requires several hours of "settling time" to establish solid comm between the RBR and RBS and the GUI. During this settling time, the web GUI and the iOS/Android apps may NOT display correct data. Apparently the last thing the system does is update the GUI.

I know it is difficult, but be patient and give the ORBI an overnight chance to settle down after a firware update. Good Luck!

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also turn OFF The RBS for now after you do the reset and setup from scratch. Lets see if the RBR can stablize after ther reset. 

Be sure to swap out LAN cables for good known working cables and try all the LAN ports. CAT6 is recommended. 

If nothing returns the unit to good operation, possible the system is faulty and needs to be replaced. You'll need to contact NG support to see what your options are. 

@JYDLC wrote:

Well I got the firmware back to V16 but still having the same issue. The connection from the router is just not stable and LAN ethernet ports still will not work from the RBR50v2. The satellites also show offline from time to time but i swear it seems like they are still working and connected. Its very weird. When i do try to wire connect to my routers RBR50v2 LAN port the latop says i have an INVALID IP.

Funny thing though that I was able to use one of the LAN ethernet ports from a Satellite RBS50 and it worked right away and perfectly and stayed connected just fine. I am not sure why the RBR50v2's LAN etherernet ports will not work but the RBS50 LAN ports will work . Very ODD! I am wondering if the router has just gone bad now?

Another weird thing too is that i am not able to connect to my ORBI via the android app now. It keeps tell me my password is invalid but yet i can login into the orbi through my laptop with no issue. I even tried to uninstall and re-install and it still has same issue. 

I know its not my laptop that is giving me issues since I was able to to be wired connected through a satillite RBS50 and at my office network which is not an ORBI system.

I dont think its a Modem issue either but just in case here is my Modem info. 

ISP: Spectrum with 400MBPS Ultra internet

My current modem is a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem / Voice Equipment

Manufacturer
Spectrum (ubee)
Model
E31U2V1

My Orbi is a RBR50v2 Router with 2xRBS50 Satellites. 

Help FURRYe38!

Message 8 of 24
JYDLC
Aspirant

@tucsontico wrote:

Seems you've made a lot of firmware changes in last few days and it hasn't solved your issue. Since the firmware update/downgrade have you power-cycled your modem? Have you tried doing a factory reset of the RBR and RBS's then doing a reconfigure from scratch? If not, please try that. When reconfiguring DO NOT USE a backup config file. It could contain corrupt code. Also, be absolutely certain the RBS and RBR are on the exaxct same FW version! Always update the RBS FW first, then the RBR last.

Many times (in my experience with my ORBI over 4 years), after a FW update the ORBI requires several hours of "settling time" to establish solid comm between the RBR and RBS and the GUI. During this settling time, the web GUI and the iOS/Android apps may NOT display correct data. Apparently the last thing the system does is update the GUI.

I know it is difficult, but be patient and give the ORBI an overnight chance to settle down after a firware update. Good Luck!

I actually did try a power cycle everytime I changed the Firmware and still same issues. 

At this point I am so frustrated I just want to toss my Orbi in the TRASH. None of these Netgear recommended fixes are helping. I work from home and really depend on a solid running network. My boss just wont accept " I cant work because I am having connections issues" for an excuse. I definitely dont want my Orbi to be the reason i get fired from my job! 

I am going to give my Orbi one last shot this weekend and plan on doing a factory reset and starting over from scratch. It sucks that I even have to do this on my own with no real official customer support from NETGEAR. They truely are leaving my hanging on this one and I really dont feel its fair that I have to pay for TECH support because of a Fireware update they pushed on me. It really sucks!

YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME ON THIS ONE NETGEAR AND I AM SERIOUSLY DISAPPOINTED! 

STOP LEAVING YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS HANGING AFTER YOU SEND OUT FIRMWARE UPDATES!

There is seriously is alot of issues once you start changing firmwares versions. I mean just look at all the threads in this forum. Most of them have issues as a result of STUPID FIRMWARE CHANGES! I am starting to feel likes its done on purpose so they can get me to either buy another Orbi or tech service plan!!! 

Message 9 of 24
JYDLC
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would also turn OFF The RBS for now after you do the reset and setup from scratch. Lets see if the RBR can stablize after ther reset. 

Be sure to swap out LAN cables for good known working cables and try all the LAN ports. CAT6 is recommended. 

If nothing returns the unit to good operation, possible the system is faulty and needs to be replaced. You'll need to contact NG support to see what your options are. 

I wish the issue was as simple as a bad LAN cable! Unfortunatey its not.

Thanks for trying to help me FURRYe38.

I will let you all know how the factory re-set goes this weekend. 

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 24
Urbangeek
Guide

I have similar issues as you, but its happening to my Satellite. 

Current setup, RBR50 as my router. RBS50 using the wifi backhaul. Any devices I have connected to the SAT via the ethernet ports all drop connection randomly at the same time and will reconnect shortly between 20secs to a minute. Devices connected to the SAT via wifi aren't affected.  My PC is connected to switch that connects to the RBR50 and doesn't drop connection. So it leaves me to believe there's an issue with the SAT.

Message 12 of 24
vajim
Master

@Urbangeek wrote:

Current setup, RBR50 as my router. RBS50 using the wifi backhaul. Any devices I have connected to the SAT via the ethernet ports all drop connection randomly at the same time and will reconnect shortly between 20secs to a minute. Devices connected to the SAT via wifi aren't affected.  My PC is connected to switch that connects to the RBR50 and doesn't drop connection. So it leaves me to believe there's an issue with the SAT.

based on posts similar to this, many of these problems can be traced to firmware.

you may want to tell us about your firmware history

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@Urbangeek wrote:

Message 14 of 24
vajim
Master

@vajim wrote:

@Urbangeek wrote:

based on posts similar to this, many of these problems can be traced to firmware.

Message 15 of 24
Urbangeek
Guide

I'm currently on the firmware V2.5.2.4. I've only installed firmware when it was available through the orbi app. I can't seem to find the area that shows the history of the installed firmware.  I know that netgear has a new firmware available to download, but i figured if it doesn't show up through the orbi app, it isn't ready for prime time.  I wan't to say i've started noticing the LAN drop issue within the last 2 or 3 months .

While browsing through forum I saw suggestions so I went ahead and enabled the following:

Implicit BEAMFORMING

MU-MIMO

Fast Roaming.

So i'll see if enabling above has reduced or limited the LAN drops from the Satellite eth ports.

------------------

What Firmware version is currently loaded?          v2.5.2.4

Frontier (previously Verizon FIOS) . The ONT box is locked behind a case.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3000+ 2 story.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? Devices are separated by 30 ft.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Channels are auto for the 2.4Ghz and 48 for 5Ghz. Nobody around me is currently using the channels that I'm using for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. I enabled this earlier today before seeing this suggestion.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I don't use Armor or Circle. IPv6 already disabled. For the following: Coexistence/ preamble Mode, I'll leave at default for now to see if the other things i've enabled make a difference (Beaming, MIMO, Fast Roaming)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I also don't mean to hijack the Origial user's issue, hopefully the suggested fixes can apply to their's as well.

Message 16 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes. 

v4 has been the greatest version of FW. V40 is most current for that line of FW. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

If your in the USA region you can manually update to v102:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2034115/high...

Chech your current new configuration first before doing anything else. Hope things work better for you. 

@Urbangeek wrote:

I'm currently on the firmware V2.5.2.4. I've only installed firmware when it was available through the orbi app. I can't seem to find the area that shows the history of the installed firmware.  I know that netgear has a new firmware available to download, but i figured if it doesn't show up through the orbi app, it isn't ready for prime time.  I wan't to say i've started noticing the LAN drop issue within the last 2 or 3 months .

While browsing through forum I saw suggestions so I went ahead and enabled the following:

Implicit BEAMFORMING

MU-MIMO

Fast Roaming.

So i'll see if enabling above has reduced or limited the LAN drops from the Satellite eth ports.

------------------

What Firmware version is currently loaded?          v2.5.2.4

Frontier (previously Verizon FIOS) . The ONT box is locked behind a case.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3000+ 2 story.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? Devices are separated by 30 ft.

Channels are auto for the 2.4Ghz and 48 for 5Ghz. Nobody around me is currently using the channels that I'm using for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. I enabled this earlier today before seeing this suggestion.

I don't use Armor or Circle. IPv6 already disabled. For the following: Coexistence/ preamble Mode, I'll leave at default for now to see if the other things i've enabled make a difference (Beaming, MIMO, Fast Roaming)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I also don't mean to hijack the Origial user's issue, hopefully the suggested fixes can apply to their's as well.

Message 17 of 24
Urbangeek
Guide

Updating, I'm still experiencing LAN disconnects on devices connected to my Satellite. I've updated to the lastest firmware (V2.7.2.102) hoping it would resolve the issue and just experieced the disconnection not too long ago.  Devices connected to the Satellite via Wifi were not affected. Not sure what steps should be next. 

Message 18 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a reset performed after v102 was applied? 

Does this happen with both RBS with wired devices connected to both or just 1 of the RBS? 

RBS wirelessly synce to RBR or ethernet connected? 

Message 19 of 24
Urbangeek
Guide

Only affects ethernet on RBS.... Devices connected to ethernet on RBR are not affected. The backhaul is utilizing wireless sync via wireless sync.

Other than the initial reboot initiated during the firmware install I have not manually rebooted RBR/RBS. I'll reboot both

Currently I have 2 devices connect to ethernet on the RBS...ps5 and firetv recast. I'm wondering if maybe the firetv recast is saturating the link.. But if it did, I would think the wifi connected assets would be affected as well. I'll do some testing tonight either way.
Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, So does PS5 work ok with the FireTV device disconnected? 

Something to get and see, install a LAN switch behind the RBS. Then connect the PS and FireTV devices to this switch. Observe the network activity on the LEDs of the switch. They should not be always ON or constantly blinking when connected. Streaming you may see more activity however should not be really constant. There should be some randomness to the blinking. 

Message 21 of 24
Urbangeek
Guide

I wasn't able to do the LAN Switch switch behind the RBS test as I don't have one on hand at the moment, but here's the experiment that I do, though probably not as thorough as I'd like: So I currently have the ps5 plugged in via ethernet and FireTV recast connected via wifi. I started watching youtube on the ps5 for several hours and it didn't drop.  I reconnected the FireTV recast back to ethernet and about 30 minutes later, both devices dropped and reconnected shortly after.  So switched the recast back over to wifi.  I'll try to do more testing, but it seems this setup appears to work for now.

Another thing I failed to mention, at one point (probably over a month ago) I did have the firetv recast connected to an ethernet switch that was connected to the RBR and I dont' recall having any  drops of devices connected to the RBR on ethernet. So it further gives me the impression its isolated to the RBS.

Message 22 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya wireless was a good test, at least those are working on wireless. 

Would be good to check with the external switch to see if same thing happens. 

I would make contact with NG support about the RBS anyways. 

Message 23 of 24
vajim
Master

I'm glad the firmware discussion got us on the right track....

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7