Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FTTP VLAN Tag

gavster2002
Aspirant

FTTP VLAN Tag

Hi, I have FTTP being installed next week to replace my FTTC. I would like to directly attach my Fibre temination UTP port directly to Orbi in router mode via the WAN port. The difference in the FTTP connect is as well as supplying my ISP user/pass I need to set the WAN VLAN tag to 911. How can I do this on the Orbi as I do not see an option?

Thanks

Gav

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Looks like no one has enough experience with this situation to offer suggestions.  (I certainly do not.)  Perhaps you could provide some additional information that people could use to do research.  For example:

• Which Internet Service Provider is this?
  • FTTC stands for what? My guess is "Fiber To The Curb".  What exactly does the ISP provide at your location for your equipment to access?  (brand/model)
  • FTTP stands for what ?  Again, my guess is "Fiber To The Premises" (i.e. fiber into the house).
    What does the ISP provide to terminate the fiber and to connect your equipment?

Orbi has a primitive VLAN capability that is intended for use with IPTV.  I know of no way for the entire Orbi to set "set" to a specific VLAN.

Can you provide a link to these instructions about VLAN?

Thanks

Message 2 of 7
DatabaseJase
Luminary

Via the web admin site under Advanced, Advanced Setup there is a "VLAN / Bridge Settings" where you can enable and specify VLAN ID and Tag but I have no experience with this.  We have FTTP through GigaClear and Ethernet Port 1 from their fibre modem goes the WAN port on the Orbi RBR50.  GigaClear support "bridge" mode on their modem which makes it "dumb" with no WiFi, DHCP or routing all of which are handed off the to RBR50 (in Router mode).

This setup does not require any VLAN ID settings within on the Orbi.  Also with our FTTP connection because it is a 1-to-1 there is no need for any username/password to be entered but this might be because GigaClear own their own equipment.  I have no experience of a BT solution where you connect to a chosen ISP (as per ADSL for example).

You don't mention which ISP you are using but I'd speak to them to see if they support "bridge" mode.

Message 3 of 7
gavster2002
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply

FTTC = Fibre to Cabinet - This is high speed to BT cabinet but then reduced in speed as it uses copper to get to your house

FTTP = Fibre to Premise - Full speed

Googling does not have much information, as you said its not very common yet. I have signed up to Vodafone Gigafast 900GB up and down in the UK. From what I can work out the install a box in your house, similar to your normal BT socket. It has a UTP (cat5) connection that then goes to your WAN port on the supplied router. From what I have read Vodafone needs the username / password for the ISP but in addition needs to be on VLAN 911 on the WAN port. I could easily have my vodafone router inline then use the Orbi as an access point, but in an ideal world I would like to take out the vodafone router and just go direct to the orbi.

I get this installed on Monday so will experiment and feed back information, just wanted to see if anyone had aleady done it and had the answers?!

Message 4 of 7
DatabaseJase
Luminary

The experience I have is from GigaClear so yours might be different, however, I doubt you can remove the Vodafone supplied equipment as it will contain the fibre termination point.  Orbi does not have a way to connect to that fibre connection.

EDIT: Just re-read your message and it seems Vodafone are using a two-stage termination where as GigaClear use a single device that is both fibre and modem in one (at least they did when they installed ours).  In that case you might be able to do what you want but speak to them and see.  I expect the settings I previously mentioned might help get this working.

I would contact them to see if they support "bridge" mode and if not then depending on the manufacturer (GigaClear did use Draytek but I think newer installs use a diifferent model/manufacturer to work with their new Linksys Mesh solution) you should be able to access the admin interface and turn off WiFi and DHCP so that the Orbi performs these duties.  You will stll have a double-hop however unless you can use bridge mode.  Alternatively just put the Orbi into AP only mode and just use it for WiFi (you only lose being able to control individual devices, access to circle, etc.).

Message 5 of 7
gavster2002
Aspirant

I am only going on what I have read! may be completely off. I will know for sure on Moday at least!. Will keep you updated.

Message 6 of 7
scottbritton
Aspirant

Hi,  How did you get on with this.  I am with Vodafone 500mb Down and Up.  I currently use an Asus router which i was able to change the Vlan settings to 911 to get it working. 

I am thinking about moving to the Orbi instead so need if its possible to get it working.  I dont want to have a separate Modem if i can get away with it

Thanks

Scott

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7