Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FW 2.1.1.16 Update broken backhaul

ctmutlow
Tutor

FW 2.1.1.16 Update broken backhaul

The update from 2.1.1.12 to 2.1.1.16 has reduced backhaul status to POOR from GOOD; not what you like to see really

Sysyem configuration and positioning unchanged, tried both a reboot and resync still have a POOR Status on the backhaul.

System seems to work finein spite of this but link to satelitte slow to establish.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
ctmutlow
Tutor

Update:

Unticking the Enable Daisy-Chain Topology box (which had been enabled as default in earlier firmware) restored the link status to GOOD!

Message 2 of 13
tagteam
Virtuoso

Honestly! Why do the latest firmware releases have that box checked by default? Sheesh!!

Message 3 of 13
vascoigne
Aspirant

Hi,

Had exactly the same thing when updating the firmware to v 2.1.1.16.

Do we need or not to enable the daisy chain connection?

Don't like to have the satellite backhaul status to "poor"...

Thanks

Message 4 of 13
Hydro130
Luminary

If you only have one satellite, there's no point to enabling Daisy Chain.  Leave it disabled.

If you have more than one satellite, but they are arranged in a hub-&-spoke manner aorund the router (i.e. S-R-S), then there is still no point in enabling Daisy Chain.  Leave it disabled.

If you have multiple sats, but they need to talk to each other (i.e. R-S-S), then do enable Daisy Chain - that's the scenario it's deisgned to support.

I only have on sat, so I myself can't speak to how effective Daisy Chain acutally works.

Message 5 of 13
FredPhred
Aspirant

I have the same issue after my router updated to 2.1.1.16. Poor connection status on the satellite and it's connecting at 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz.

So I logged into the satellite and noticed it still had to old firmware version installed on it.  So the "auto update" didn't seem to apply to the satellite. Looks like poor QA on this one.

I manually updated the firmware on the satellite and it's now connecting properly at 5Ghz.  The only issue I still see is the satellite reports no connection back to the base but the base reports a good connection to the satellite.  I did see the blue connection light so I think it's working.

Message 6 of 13
FredPhred
Aspirant

After 30 minutes, my satellite now shows as connected at 5Ghz. So in my case updating the firmware on the satellite (and resynching them using the buttons on the back of each) resolved the issue. 

I left the daily chaining on in case I decide to add another satellite to the system.

Message 7 of 13
bukzin
Aspirant

I see some folks have firmware version 2.1.1.16

My RBK53 (AKA RBR50) is showing version 2.0.0.74, same for my two satellites.

Status states 'no new firmware version available'

What changes to the backhaul were made?  How can I get latest version?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 8 of 13
lexifran
Aspirant

For now, you have to install that update manually:

• Manual firmware installation instructions can be found here.
  • Router and satellite firmware files can be found here.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 13
Pedro_mustard
Aspirant

how can 2.1.2.18 be classed as older than 2.0.1.4 on the website and yet the orbi says its older how on earth does that make sense.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

v.18 was removed from being current version due to user complaints. NG now recommends using v2.0.1.4 is the most currnet version. 

If your not having issues with your system, keep whats loaded on it. If your using v18 and having uses, NG recommend reverting back to v2.0.1.4. 

Hopefully new update will be soon:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-issues-update-3-9-18/td-p/1522633/jump-to/first-un...

@Pedro_mustardwrote:

how can 2.1.2.18 be classed as older than 2.0.1.4 on the website and yet the orbi says its older how on earth does that make sense.

Message 11 of 13
Pedro_mustard
Aspirant

Thanks for that very interesting Backhaul I'm having an issue with myself so the revised update will be interesting.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You might ask NG support if you could try a beta if ones available. You'll have to phone contact them to ask. 

LAN backhaul is working for me. I persume it will be in next update. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7