Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FW 2.5.1.8 took my hardwired satellites offline

jjlees
Tutor

FW 2.5.1.8 took my hardwired satellites offline

Hello,

Once again Netgear forced an auto update creating havoc with a system that had been stable for months (stable after I had taken days to get stable).  Situation: I have 3 hardwired satellites. I woke up to my internet seemingly being down.  After disconnecting the router from the rest of the network and only to the Fios gigabit box (not a router), I was able to get internet again.  But only wirelessly.  Taking all of my satellites off of hardwire I can get them operational.  The signal is poor in places because of the thick walls and floors.  I cannot get the satellites to function in hardwired mode despite multiple power cyclings.  Suggestions please!

My 3 story, 3500sq ft. house was built in the 40's with very thick walls, which is why I have 4 satellites (1 wireless).  I placed my router in the first floor in the living room.  The most central place I could wire it. Again, everything was working great until the latest firmware was pushed.  I have since disabled the auto-updates.  And even tried older versions of firmware, but I am still having problems or having new problems, likes losing Sonos.

Thanks,

John

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
jjlees
Tutor

A big thank you to @FURRYe38@SW_ , @Retired_Member for actively responding to me all day, multiple times in the day.

Here is the latest.  It is all working as of this post.  In desperation, I took it all down (again).  Powered down from beginning to end.  And with the satellites in wireless backhaul when I did.  I brought it up from front to back (Fios to RBR to switch to each device and each RBS).  Again, the RBS's were wireless.  I confirmed each device was working, each RBR/RBS and Sonos, TiVo, garage door, ring, etc.  I then wire-connected an RBS to its switch.  After 3-5 minutes, it changed in the console to wired backhaul. I verified all devices were working.  I then connected the next RBS to the switch.  It also converted to wired backhaul.  I verified every device in every room continued to work.  I then did the same with the last RBS.  It is all up and working as desired.  Almost an hour in and no drops or interruptions.  Hopefully not too soon to declare a win.

I don't know what did it.  Maybe everything ...?  Maybe nothing ...?  But it was a major ordeal.  I do appreciate the support of the community walking me through it.  

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 30

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How did you get 2.5.1.8?

Message 2 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a reset on the RBR and RBS and this time wirelessly connect each RBS to the RBR, then one at a time, wire connect the RBS to the RBR. Do this while in the same room with the RBR to ensure they are working correctly after the connection is made. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

You might want to download the FW files and manully apply them yourself. Auto udpate seems to cause problems to users systems when it updates FW. I prefer using this method when doing FW updates. I haven't seen any issues with my one RBS thats wired behind 4 LAN switches in a daisy chain. 

Message 3 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a reset on the RBR and RBS and this time wirelessly connect each RBS to the RBR, then one at a time, wire connect the RBS to the RBR. Do this while in the same room with the RBR to ensure they are working correctly after the connection is made. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

You might want to download the FW files and manully apply them yourself. Auto udpate seems to cause problems to users systems when it updates FW. I prefer using this method when doing FW updates. I haven't seen any issues with my one RBS thats wired behind 4 LAN switches in a daisy chain. 

Wakes up to a new FW and you want a goose chase....????

Message 4 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

It was an auto-update.

@Retired_Member wrote:

How did you get 2.5.1.8?

Message 5 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jjlees wrote:

It was an auto-update.

@Retired_Member wrote:

How did you get 2.5.1.8?

That's amazing....I'm also on auto-update (according to the Orbi web login) and I haven't had an update since Oct 2019

Message 6 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Wakes up to a new FW and you want a goose chase....????

I did rollback to 2.3.5.30, but still have the same wired satellite issue.  Should I try rolling back further?

Message 7 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I appreciate the response.

My switches are all Netgear gigabit+ unmanaged switches.  I have both 16 and 32 port ones.  I don't have the model #'s handy, but I changed them all to Netgear after the last fiasco last summer.  Of course, it wasn't the issue, but I did it nonetheless.

I have a mixture of the suggestions already.  Beamforming, WMM are enabled, but MIMO is not.  No armor, no circle, no daisy chain, no fast roaming, no IPv6.  I do have 20/40 coexistence enabled.  Preamble is automatic.  So, I can change MIMO, coexistence, and preamble.  But I am not sure how wireless settings will affect my wired situation?

I will try the settings, the manual update, and the same room setup after my kids' remote school wraps up for the day.  (I attempted to try one satellite back on hardwire and the yells I got!)

I am willing to try anything, so I do appreciate the responses!

-John

Message 8 of 30
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jjlees , do you have any wired clients attached to that Satellite?

Message 9 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm still missing the part how a FW update can corrupt hardware.   If that's true I doubt there's no FW that can fix it.  

Message 10 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered off ALL switches then back ON then connect the RBS to the switch? 

I would test all RBS directly to the RBR first while in the same room as the RBR. If you can get each one to connect directly to the RBR or ALL of them and they report wired status, then go back and place at remote locations. I would while your in the same room with the RBSs, do a IP address reservation for each RBS on the RBR. Something I do to ensure they get same IP addressing. 

If you think the RBR or RBS have corrupt FW loads, I recommend you download the FW files for both and apply them manully using IE11 or FF browser with a wired PC. After the FW is reloaded, factory reset and setup from scratch. I would apply v2.5.1.8 again so your up to date. This version has been working fine for me and other with ethernet connected RBS. 

@jjlees wrote:

My switches are all Netgear gigabit+ unmanaged switches.  I have both 16 and 32 port ones.  I don't have the model #'s handy, but I changed them all to Netgear after the last fiasco last summer.  Of course, it wasn't the issue, but I did it nonetheless.

I have a mixture of the suggestions already.  Beamforming, WMM are enabled, but MIMO is not.  No armor, no circle, no daisy chain, no fast roaming, no IPv6.  I do have 20/40 coexistence enabled.  Preamble is automatic.  So, I can change MIMO, coexistence, and preamble.  But I am not sure how wireless settings will affect my wired situation?

I will try the settings, the manual update, and the same room setup after my kids' remote school wraps up for the day.  (I attempted to try one satellite back on hardwire and the yells I got!)

-John

Message 11 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you powered off ALL switches then back ON then connect the RBS to the switch? 

I would test all RBS directly to the RBR first while in the same room as the RBR. If you can get each one to connect directly to the RBR or ALL of them and they report wired status, then go back and place at remote locations. I would while your in the same room with the RBSs, do a IP address reservation for each RBS on the RBR. Something I do to ensure they get same IP addressing. 

If you think the RBR or RBS have corrupt FW loads, I recommend you download the FW files for both and apply them manully using IE11 or FF browser with a wired PC. After the FW is reloaded, factory reset and setup from scratch. I would apply v2.5.1.8 again so your up to date. This version has been working fine for me and other with ethernet connected RBS. 

why are you telling him to reload what caused the problem. There are more who have had problems than not. 

@jjlees wrote:

-John

Message 12 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@SW_ wrote:

@SW_ For all of the wired ones, yes.  Fwiw, the TiVo Bolt+ DVR that I had hardwired directly to the router also ceased to access the internet through it.  Once I made it wireless, I was able to get it back online.

Message 13 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@Retired_Member wrote:

I'm still missing the part how a FW update can corrupt hardware.   If that's true I doubt there's no FW that can fix it.  

@Retired_Member I don't think it changed the hardware itself, but it has apparently affected the instructions that cause it to operate ... or not operate.

Message 14 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jjlees wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Retired_Member I don't think it changed the hardware itself, but it has apparently affected the instructions that cause it to operate ... or not operate.

Ok be careful for there are some who want you to reload the same FW that evidently started the problem just because it works for them 

Message 15 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@FURRYe38 I have powered off/on the switch next to the satellite I was most recently trying to bring back online as hardwired.  I don't think they have corrupted FW now as I manually put in the previous version (satellites first, then router).  I will try doing it to the current version with them in the same room later this afternoon.

I did the IP reservation a couple days ago for each satellite since the problem first occurred.

I looked up my switches.  Netgear 16 and 24 port gigabit unmanaged switches.  GS316 and GS324's.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 30
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jjlees wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

@SW_ For all of the wired ones, yes.  Fwiw, the TiVo Bolt+ DVR that I had hardwired directly to the router also ceased to access the internet through it.  Once I made it wireless, I was able to get it back online.

This implies that one of the wired clients is holding on to old IP address and Orbi doesn't like and can't deal with duplicated IP addresses gracefully, which could explain why it works when you take them out of the network.

Try to disconnect all those wired clients and only bring the Satellite back online by itself first.  After your network is stable, reconnecting wired clients one at a time.  It's one way to reboot the entire network to get Orbi back to stable state.  Good luck!

Message 17 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@SW_ wrote:

@jjlees wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

This implies that one of the wired clients is holding on to old IP address and Orbi doesn't like and can't deal with duplicated IP addresses gracefully, which could explain why it works when you take them out of the network.

Try to disconnect all those wired clients and only bring the Satellite back online by itself first.  After your network is stable, reconnecting wired clients one at a time.  It's one way to reboot the entire network to get Orbi back to stable state.  Good luck!

Here is the latest.  I applied all of the settings as suggested.  I unconnected all of the devices including the internet cable from the router.  I brought up the router and the satellites in the same room wirelessly.  I applied the latest FW to each satellite and then the router.  Everything appeared to work well.  I then unplugged the power to one satellite, and connected it directly to the router, and turned it on.  It came on as wired after several minutes.  I then unplugged the satellite and took it to its location, wired it to the switch, and it came on as wired!

However, after a few minutes it went into a "Config Sync" status.  Then, it went back to wireless (5G). With the same blocking of the internet for devices linked with it.  Then one at a time, but not the same time, same thing has happened with 3 subsequent satellites in different locations.

Does this trigger any new ideas?  Thanks again!

-John

Message 18 of 30
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Is Orbi/Satellite plug into the SAME switch that's also shared with all others wired clients?

Message 19 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

And Daisy Chain was disabled on the RBR? 

"I then unplugged the power to one satellite, and connected it directly to the router, and turned it on.  It came on as wired after several minutes." Did you make sure the top ring LED turned OFF after it was BLUE while you had the RBS directly connected to the RBR? 

Only thing I do see with your model switches is Green Ethernet features:

"Energy Efficient Ethernet
(IEEE 802.3az)"

Please type up a diagram of how you have your ISP modem, Orbi and switches and wired devices wire connected. 

Message 20 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@SW_ wrote:

Is Orbi/Satellite plug into the SAME switch that's also shared with all others wired clients?

No, it is not.  But it wasn't before either.

Message 21 of 30
jjlees
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And Daisy Chain was disabled on the RBR? 

"I then unplugged the power to one satellite, and connected it directly to the router, and turned it on.  It came on as wired after several minutes." Did you make sure the top ring LED turned OFF after it was BLUE while you had the RBS directly connected to the RBR? 

Only thing I do see with your model switches is Green Ethernet features:

"Energy Efficient Ethernet
(IEEE 802.3az)"

Please type up a diagram of how you have your ISP modem, Orbi and switches and wired devices wire connected. 

Daisy chain was also disabled.  I learned that one last summer when I had regular dropouts from the satellites.

I did verify the RBS went blue when directly connected to the RBR.

I will draw up diagram.  But in text it is: Fios gigabit box wired to RBR (15 meters).  RBR wired to switch 1.  Switch 1 wired to devices in that room AND wired to switches 2 and 3.  Switch 2 wired to RBS 1, devices in that room, and to switch 3.  Switch 3 wired to devices in that room.  Switch 3 wired to RBS 2 and (10m throw) RBS 3 and devices.  RBS 4 is fully wireless.  All wires are cat6.

Message 22 of 30
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jjlees wrote:

I will draw up diagram.  But in text it is: Fios gigabit box wired to RBR (15 meters).  RBR wired to switch 1.  Switch 1 wired to devices in that room AND wired to switches 2 and 3.  Switch 2 wired to RBS 1, devices in that room, and to switch 3.  Switch 3 wired to devices in that room.  Switch 3 wired to RBS 2 and (10m throw) RBS 3 and devices.  RBS 4 is fully wireless.  All wires are cat6.

From your description, everything is wired to the SAME LAN, which essentially is the same as a single switch.  That's why Orbi switches to wireless backhaul.

Message 23 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

So switches 2 and 3 are daisy chained off switch 1 correct? 

If you turn OFF the wired RBS, do all other wired devices connected at switches 2 and 3 get internet access? 

Message 24 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

@SW_ The daisy chain switch configuration should work. I did for him pre FW update. 

I have 4 daisy chained switches off my RBR and I have 1 wired RBS at the end of the 4th switch and it connects as a wired RBS...

Odd that this worked before FW update and not even after they reverted back to prior working FW. Unless I'm missing something in his configuration...

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7