Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FW V2.5.0.38 Apple products dropping wifi

Gsmites
Tutor

FW V2.5.0.38 Apple products dropping wifi

Since updating Firmware to V2.5.0.38 our Apple products (iOS 13.2 - Iphone/IPad) keeps dropping wifi connection.  All the other devices have zero issues (Nest, Echo, Hue).  It's been super reliable until this point and I am getting very frustrated.  I've tried different configurations from other posts but nothing works.  Please help!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Gsmites wrote:

Since updating Firmware to V2.5.0.38 our Apple products (iOS 13.2 - Iphone/IPad) keeps dropping wifi connection.  All the other devices have zero issues (Nest, Echo, Hue).  It's been super reliable until this point and I am getting very frustrated.  I've tried different configurations from other posts but nothing works.  Please help!

There are numerous posts about problems with V2.5.0.38.  You might try to revert/roll back your firmware.  In the future, IF your system is working, DON'T upgrade.  NG will auto push updates that contain major revisions.  Good luck

Message 2 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Have had no issues with my iphone  (iOS 13.2) and Mac Book Pro (10.14.6) using the above settings. 

@Gsmites wrote:

Message 3 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

From NG..."A factory reset is necessary when you cannot recover your password."

Message 4 of 44
Gregron
Star

@Gsmites 

This new firmware v2.5.0.38 is atrocious, I even tried the factory reset and it did nothing. I was exactly in the same boat as you it completely killed my connectivity and my wifes. Both of our iPhones had having connection drops, she even reported her laptop had been dropping and I blamed it on recent storm(not realizing my hard wired PC had been just fine.)

Anyway I just bought a new(last gen) iPad Pro this week and almost returned it today thinking it had a bad wifi chip, for example in the kitchen in the middle of the two Orbi's I was getting 15mbit/sec lossy WiFi when my connection maxes out at 230mbit. I took it to work today and its wifi was flawless on the company wifi all day! So when i got home I did more test and I noticed when doing speed tests to compare the iPad and my iPhone 11 Pro the pro too was getting suboptimal(but better) speeds and also dropping connection!

Anyway after a factory reset and no improvement in connection I downgraded directly to the last firmware v2.3.5.30 (first the satellite then the router.)  and WOW everything instantly better. I went from getting 15mbit to 180mbit in the kitchen immediately after the update and back to 200+ everywhere else in the house closer to the Orbi's.

Anyway here's a direct link to the last good Firmware from July, you can downgrade to it directly https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30 

I found it by just going to the Orbi Download page and clicking view previous verions. I was able to downgrade directly to v2.3.5.30without doing some two step downgrade like it says to do to go from v2.2.1.212 to v2.3.0.32

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 44
Wire1852
Apprentice

I have also see Apple products lose connection to the internet when connected to the Orbi wifi with the the firmware update. I have resolved the issue by either toggling between networks or turning wifi off then on.  I find the people telling you not to update if your router is working to not be living in the real world where security issues always need to be address immediately. Netgear has lost credibility and I am start to wonder what the value of the Netgear Community is when the repeated suggestion is not to update your software if your router is working. The main goal of the forum seems to be if to make excuses for Netgear and blame the Netgear customers for keeping their software up to date.

The only thing I have concluded is to buy future routers from anyone but Netgear.  And ignore posts from certain members of this forum.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Certain members are here in the forum to try and help users get there problems solved. For the most part these member do help get prolems solved. Something some members don't seem to understand or see. We do express suggestions that is fully up to users to try, Or not. In the end it's the users responsibility and be willing to follow the suggestions and recommendations. If users don't then thats fine. Users can progress and refer to NG phone support and get help directly from NG support. We can only do so much here in the forums. 

"You can lead a horse to water, can't make it drink." 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Leading someone is fine as long as you’re honest and acknowledge firmware shortcomings and offer ALL options.  Resets should be viewed as a last resort   Just because a firmware and or reset worked for you doesn’t mean others will see the same result.   Your position also ignores the whole reason folks got in the jam they are in.  Most users don’t want to live on the edge or sign up for beta testing. 

Message 9 of 44
Wire1852
Apprentice

I prefer "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me".

BTW - You keep pushing people to go to Netgear support which expires in 90 days after purchase & if you want a extended support contract you need to buy it within the first 90 days.  You're advising the majority of us to do something that can't be done. And I remember your sage advice about the Netgear security certificate getting update in the next firmware release after expiring in early August & to be patient. No fix occurred in the latest release.

If this Netgear Community doesn't have Netgear staff who can give real updates on product issues & solutions then what is the point of this forum?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Users can progress and refer to NG phone support and get help directly from NG support. We can only do so much here in the forums. 

"You can lead a horse to water, can't make it drink." 

Message 10 of 44
4boys
Guide

Manually upgraded the satellites first, then the router. Zero problems after the process was complete. All Apple household with iPhone, iPads and iMacs. Running Homekit with over 40 devices. My only issue is I want WiFi 6. We have not had any drops or rebooting. Like the previous firmware - extremely stable.

Message 11 of 44
Wakey
Star

Exactly the same with me, I have a 500+ (usually about 540) connection down, 36 ish up.

As soon as I put the new firmware on my ping increased by a couple of points, my upload speed went from a constant 35 plus to anything from sub 1 to about 15, and my download speed at least halved.

As soon as I rolled back the satellites, it seemed back to normal, but I also did the router too.

This firmware is a disaster. I am not upgrading it again as the performance on the previous one is generally excellent. The new firmware destroys the product. I was also using an iPad Pro.

Message 12 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Wakey wrote:

I am not upgrading it again .................................Smart decision

Message 13 of 44
Gsmites
Tutor

@Gregron Thanks for the link to the last firmware and will give that a try.  I also attemped to do the suggestions by @FURRYe38, factory reset, making the manual changes to the router and it didn't seem to do anything other than aggravate me further.

But, I am thankful for the reponses and for all who has tried to help me out with this. 

Message 14 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Gsmites wrote:

@Gregron Thanks for the link to the last firmware and will give that a try.  I also attemped to do the suggestions by @FURRYe38, factory reset, making the manual changes to the router and it didn't seem to do anything other than aggravate me further.

But, I am thankful for the reponses and for all who has tried to help me out with this. 

...He tries hard....

Message 15 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I use these configurations and my apple devices don't see any wifi drops. 

You can try the following:

Advanced/Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Others are having good operation after a reset:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820500/hi...

@Gsmites wrote:

Message 16 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I use these configurations and my apple devices don't see any wifi drops. 

You can try the following:

Advanced/Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

@Gsmites wrote:

More V2.5.0.38 follies.....waisted time 

Message 17 of 44
Gsmites
Tutor

Downgraded back to V2.3.5.30 and it's like night and day!  Fast speeds, no dropping and the wife is happy.

Message 18 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Gsmites wrote:

Downgraded back to V2.3.5.30 and it's like night and day!  Fast speeds, no dropping and the wife is happy.

Good ..happy wife = happy life

Now stop doing manual firmware updates

Message 19 of 44
Jetdrive
Luminary

Just wanted to share my expericence with my iPhones and this new firmware update. After upgrading my wifi speeds dropped to about half what I had been getting. From around 400 to 200mbs. Reseting the router and satellites to default did nothing to fix the problem. Today, November 7th, Apple released IOS 13.2.2 to fix some problems. I noticed the iPhone modem firmware was also updated in this release. Anyway, after the update my iPhone wifi speeds are again back to around 400mbs. Coincidence? I doubt it. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 20 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

I saw no speed issues with my iphone on 13.2 Preview and speeds are same with my Galaxy Tab S2 after loading v38. I see there is 13.3 available now. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

Just wanted to share my expericence with my iPhones and this new firmware update. After upgrading my wifi speeds dropped to about half what I had been getting. From around 400 to 200mbs. Reseting the router and satellites to default did nothing to fix the problem. Today, November 7th, Apple released IOS 13.2.2 to fix some problems. I noticed the iPhone modem firmware was also updated in this release. Anyway, after the update my iPhone wifi speeds are again back to around 400mbs. Coincidence? I doubt it. 

Message 21 of 44
Jetdrive
Luminary

For the iPhone the preview and 13.3 versions are beta. I usually avoid beta versions. 13.2.2 is the most recent non-beta release to the public. 

Message 22 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. Been working with WPA3 on my Iphone so I've been fiddling with the betas. 

Message 23 of 44
Jetdrive
Luminary

The public releases of IOS 13 support wifi 6 on the iPhone 11 so should support WPA3.

Message 24 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, been testing WPA3 on my iPhone 6sP. 

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements