Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FYI: Firmware update 2.5.1.8 causes DNS timeouts only fixed by reboot on my RBR50 and RBS50's

perfarny
Guide

FYI: Firmware update 2.5.1.8 causes DNS timeouts only fixed by reboot on my RBR50 and RBS50's

Hi All,

Mostly an FYI as I've downgraded back to 2.3.5.30 and all is well again.

I have one RBR50 and three RBS50's that have been working flawlessly for pretty much as long as I can remember behind an Xfinity Xfi modem that is bridged. I saw the firmware update 3 days ago and upgraded all devices to 2.5.1.8.  Ever since, the RBR50 has gone unresponsive for DNS queries multiple times per day. Existing connections were fine (i.e. it passed traffic back and forth just fine) but as soon as name resolution came in (i.e. going to a new website) the connection would fail with a DNS timeout. The only way to fix it was to reboot the RBR50.

To troubleshoot, I noted the DNS server it is setup to use (comcast 75.75.75.75 and .76) and at a time when name resolution wasn't working, I manually configured my desktop to use those DNS servers while leaving IP at DHCP. Voila, everything worked fine. So, for whatever reason, while the RBR technically had access to the DNS server (since I could connect to it from my desktop) it was timing out queries.

I downgraded all devices back to 2.3.5.30 and everything has been working again for the last 24 hours. Note also that for as long as I've had these devices (2+ years) the network map shows all satellites connected directly to the router. After the 2.5.1.8 update, it showed that 2 of the satellites were connecting to one of the other satellites, and that one was the only one connecting to the router. I know it's a mesh, but a bit odd that after all this time the topology suddenly changed.

Anyway - as noted, mostly an FYI. Curious how these issues get back to the dev team when the free 90 day support has long expired?

Thanks,

Per

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: FYI: Firmware update 2.5.1.8 causes DNS timeouts only fixed by reboot on my RBR50 and RBS50's

The part I missed is how you came upon 2.5.1.8.?

The recommendation is to stay away from manual updates.

Message 2 of 22
perfarny
Guide

Re: FYI: Firmware update 2.5.1.8 causes DNS timeouts only fixed by reboot on my RBR50 and RBS50's

I went into the Orbi app and it showed an update was available, prompting me to update.

And now that I'm downgraded, it again shows me that; same if I go to routerlogin.net (see attached)

Message 3 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@perfarny wrote:

I went into the Orbi app and it showed an update was available, prompting me to update.

And now that I'm downgraded, it again shows me that; same if I go to routerlogin.net (see attached)

so what's the problem?  You don't have to update.  Is your system working now?

Message 4 of 22
perfarny
Guide

What's the problem? The problem is the firmware update 🙂 After I downgraded, it works again.

As the subject line of my original post states "FYI..." in case others were thinking of upgrading / had upgraded and were running into similar issues / or if support/dev ever takes a look here to see what they might need to address in future updates (I'm guessing that's a long shot, but...).

Message 5 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@perfarny wrote:

What's the problem? The problem is the firmware update 🙂 After I downgraded, it works again.

That's not a problem.  That's what I've been advocating for years.

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you don't use any custome DNS on the RBR? 

Try using 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for DNS.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

I and others don't see this issue. Doesn't mean that this version is buggy either. Try a reset next time you update FW to be sure. 

If it was FW, more users would be posting about it. 

@perfarny wrote:

Hi All,

Mostly an FYI as I've downgraded back to 2.3.5.30 and all is well again.

I have one RBR50 and three RBS50's that have been working flawlessly for pretty much as long as I can remember behind an Xfinity Xfi modem that is bridged. I saw the firmware update 3 days ago and upgraded all devices to 2.5.1.8.  Ever since, the RBR50 has gone unresponsive for DNS queries multiple times per day. Existing connections were fine (i.e. it passed traffic back and forth just fine) but as soon as name resolution came in (i.e. going to a new website) the connection would fail with a DNS timeout. The only way to fix it was to reboot the RBR50.

To troubleshoot, I noted the DNS server it is setup to use (comcast 75.75.75.75 and .76) and at a time when name resolution wasn't working, I manually configured my desktop to use those DNS servers while leaving IP at DHCP. Voila, everything worked fine. So, for whatever reason, while the RBR technically had access to the DNS server (since I could connect to it from my desktop) it was timing out queries.

I downgraded all devices back to 2.3.5.30 and everything has been working again for the last 24 hours. Note also that for as long as I've had these devices (2+ years) the network map shows all satellites connected directly to the router. After the 2.5.1.8 update, it showed that 2 of the satellites were connecting to one of the other satellites, and that one was the only one connecting to the router. I know it's a mesh, but a bit odd that after all this time the topology suddenly changed.

Anyway - as noted, mostly an FYI. Curious how these issues get back to the dev team when the free 90 day support has long expired?

Thanks,

Per

Message 7 of 22
perfarny
Guide

@Retired_Member wrote:

@perfarny wrote:

You've been advocating releasing buggy updates? 😉

Releasing buggy software to your customers is a problem no matter which way you slice it (but, yes, definitely worse when forced to take them ).

Message 8 of 22
perfarny
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you don't use any custome DNS on the RBR? 

Try using 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for DNS.

I never used a custom DNS on the RBR, I simply let it get its info via DHCP. Only in troubleshooting did I statically configure a DNS serveron my desktop (which happened to be the same one that the RBR was given to use...and it worked when my desktop was configured to use it directly vs asking the RBR to do name resolution on its behalf).

I'm not going to update again to the new firmware as I'm stable (again) now.

Message 9 of 22
perfarny
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

I and others don't see this issue. Doesn't mean that this version is buggy either. Try a reset next time you update FW to be sure. 

If it was FW, more users would be posting about it. 

I did not do that. Sounds like there's history in that working for other issues in the past? Will try that if/when I do future updates. Thanks!

Message 10 of 22
quixoft
Initiate

Same issues for me after I upgraded firmware. I just rolled back to 2.3.5.30 so hopefully that fixes it. I've had these for 6 months and they've been nothing but trouble. I now unplug them and plug my laptop directly into my cable modem when working from home as they are too unreliable for work.

As for the factory reset after a firmware upgrade... That is just ridiculous that it should be a requirement for the Orbi to work without issues. Can you imagine if you had to do a factory reset after every firmware upgrade on your smart phone? People would lose their minds.

Message 11 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@perfarny wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@perfarny wrote:

You've been advocating releasing buggy updates? 😉

Releasing buggy software to your customers is a problem no matter which way you slice it (but, yes, definitely worse when forced to take them ).

No, you're NOT understanding.

I've been telling people for years to stay from MANUAL updates.  If there is a FW that contains critical updates, NG will push automatically.  No action required by the user.  Any more questions?

Message 12 of 22
perfarny
Guide

Well, I've had zero questions for you from the start, and I remain at zero.

Thanks for coming around and explaining that, though. I was unaware.

I've been telling people for years to stay from MANUAL updates.  If there is a FW that contains critical updates, NG will push automatically.  No action required by the user.  Any more questions?

Message 13 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@perfarny wrote:

Well, I've had zero questions for you from the start, and I remain at zero.

Thanks for coming around and explaining that, though. I was unaware.

...until you manually updated to 2.5.1.8. 

but you're welcome.  :Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 22
perfarny
Guide

Enjoy the rest of your Monday! 🙂

Message 15 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@perfarny wrote:

Enjoy the rest of your Monday! 🙂

You too my friend.....now enjoy your working Orbi.Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

This explains the other comment I replied to. I did not manually upgrade, that I am aware of, and I am on 2.1.5.8

@Retired_Member wrote:

Message 17 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

This explains the other comment I replied to. I did not manually upgrade, that I am aware of, and I am on 2.1.5.8

@Retired_Member wrote:

could be...I believe i saw the same thing with....FM ....2.3.5.30

when it was first available it was bad....then after a few months, NG started pushing it out auto.  I've been on it since Oct19.

FYI...to me manual means you clicked something to start the download.  auto means you wake up and there it is.

Message 18 of 22
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

when it was first available it was bad....then after a few months, NG started pushing it out auto.

Are you saying that we should not only be looking at major/minor versions, but also build numbers?  Is Netgear releasing those? 

IMHO, if the version of 2.3.5.30 released on day 1 (manual) and the version of 2.3.5.30 released on day XX (automatic) are not the same, then they need to be appending build numbers to the version.  Or at the very least, alpha, beta, GA, etc.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 19 of 22
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Knock on wood,  zero timeouts since downgrade to v2.3.5.30 (~7.5hrs).  Prior to that it was 5-10x per day.

Message 20 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

when it was first available it was bad....then after a few months, NG started pushing it out auto.

Are you saying that we should not only be looking at major/minor versions, but also build numbers?  Is Netgear releasing those? 

IMHO, if the version of 2.3.5.30 released on day 1 (manual) and the version of 2.3.5.30 released on day XX (automatic) are not the same, then they need to be appending build numbers to the version.  Or at the very least, alpha, beta, GA, etc.

I'm saying do nothing.

NG will push critical updates when needed.  IF your system is working OK, there is no need to update.  Some feel the next update is needed or will boost performance.  They have basically become BETA testers.

I understand how build numbers work.  I can only share what I saw.  A simple search here going back to last summer should reveal the problems with 2.3.5.30, which is the case in most FW manual updates.  Remember, a few years ago, there was no choice, NG pushed everything.  Now, they make a FW available and it's up to the user to decide if they want to 'try' it.  If you like living on the edge, go for it.

Message 21 of 22
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Since downgrading from 2.5.1.8 only one DNS failure and that was at only one of my test sites, which seems to indicate a problem with that site.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7