Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Facebook and Instagram Intermittent Loading

Djzgfx
Tutor

Facebook and Instagram Intermittent Loading

Hello, I’m having the exact same problem on my mobile devices as this post that got zero comments https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Problems-with-Facebook-and-Instagram/td-p/49...

I’m on the latest firmware, even tried 2 revisions older and also tried Advanced Tomato firmware. Nothing helps or fixes this issue. Don’t have any problems while using the trashy arris.

Other than Facebook and Instagram not loading at times, Speedtests are phenomenal and don’t have any other issues at all.

Tried with WMM off/QoS on, QoS off/WMM off, QoS on/WMM on, and QoS off/WMM on. Nothing is helping.

Note: All devices are on 5ghz band
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 91
Djzgfx
Tutor

No one?
Message 2 of 91

When everything else behaves as expected, it is hard to see how a router could cause this sort of thing. Maybe that explains the silence.

Have you checked its logs to see if it is blocking sites?

Message 3 of 91
Djzgfx
Tutor

Yep. No blocked sites. I know, this is such a weird problem.
Message 4 of 91
Kaelin_Reed
Initiate

Same problem.

Network speeds are fine.

Problems only with Instagram

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 91
Sellmetv2
Tutor

Had the same problem with my Netgear orbi wifi. By connecting to another wifi and then going to Instagram on that different wifi and then going back to the Netgear orbi Instagram worked again.
Message 6 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Is IPv6 enabled on the router? Disable it and test. 

I would run a quick test as well, set WPA mode to OPEN. No security on the wifi temporarily. Test FB and other apps. Any changes? 

WMM should be always enabled for wifi devices. 

Try both radios. 

Set Up to 300Mb on both radios, manual Channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz, any on 5Ghz. 

WPA2 and AES only on both radios. Try WPA and TPIK only and see if thats possible. 

Disable any bandsteering or mimo options under Advanced/Advanced wireless if seen. 

Any other wireless near by? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modems being used?

No issues seen on my NG Orbi currently. 

Message 7 of 91
Galgomite
Tutor

I have an Orbi/ Satellite combo and have been having similar problems. Most everything was fine but Facebook wouldn't load images. Switching to cellular data solved all problems. The solution that worked for me was to log into my router and manually reinstall the current firmware (downloaded from netgear's site) for the router and then the satellite. It hasn't been up very long, but as of now all Facebook-related issues (ok, the ones regarding loading:) have been resolved.

Message 8 of 91
Galgomite
Tutor

Update solution only lasted a few hours... same with disabling ipv6 filtering. I’m using gigabit fios and think the next step will be to try Verizon’s rental router:(

Message 9 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model # of the FIOS modem/ONT your using? Built in router here by chance? If so,

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@Galgomite wrote:

I have an Orbi/ Satellite combo and have been having similar problems. Most everything was fine but Facebook wouldn't load images. Switching to cellular data solved all problems. The solution that worked for me was to log into my router and manually reinstall the current firmware (downloaded from netgear's site) for the router and then the satellite. It hasn't been up very long, but as of now all Facebook-related issues (ok, the ones regarding loading:) have been resolved.

Message 10 of 91
kinyan1123
Initiate

I have exactly the same problem.

youtube, chrome ,every other app works except facebook and IG 

I am using Orbi Mini Mesh system RBR40 

please Help

Message 11 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

What devices are you having problems with?

Wireless or wired connections? Both? 

What FW version are you using? 

@kinyan1123 wrote:

I have exactly the same problem.

youtube, chrome ,every other app works except facebook and IG 

I am using Orbi Mini Mesh system RBR40 

please Help

Message 12 of 91
jimbojames79
Apprentice

I have the same problem. Well it's one of the many I have. It's bizarre because I get a notification but when I open the app it won't be there until I disconnect the WiFi. Am UK based on Virgin Media. Single router setup. Satellite makes my problems 100 times worse.
Message 13 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

What devices are you having problems with?

Wireless or wired connections? Both? 

What FW version are you using? 

@jimbojames79 wrote:
I have the same problem. Well it's one of the many I have. It's bizarre because I get a notification but when I open the app it won't be there until I disconnect the WiFi. Am UK based on Virgin Media. Single router setup. Satellite makes my problems 100 times worse.

Message 14 of 91
jimbojames79
Apprentice

Hi, 

Google says its this: Arris VMDG505 / TG2492LG-VM distributed

Handheld devices mainly - iphones, android phones, tablets. More static devices (TV, TIVO, desktops etc) are fine.

I only have my NAS wired permanently. When I do plug in other devices they are rock solid.

Both RBR40 and RBS30 are on 2.1.4.16

Thanks

Message 15 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem seems to be a router as well.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 16 of 91
jimbojames79
Apprentice

Virgin's modem/routers are well known for being flaky in the UK (hence the Orbi, used to be a ASUS RT-AC66U but it's Qos was limited to 100mbps and it didn't have the range), so I put it in 'MODEM' mode which does exaclty what it sounds like and have attached the ORBI to that. So that is 1 I think. 

TBH I don't see why I should have to do 2 or 3 bacuse it should just work. I may try 2 at the weekend when noone is around as it seems like it will take the least configuring.

Message 17 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

The options are there for you to review that try out. Having a ISP modem/ONT with built in router can cause problems. So the suggestions are solutions to try. It's up to you to see which one works the best.

@jimbojames79 wrote:

Virgin's modem/routers are well known for being flaky in the UK (hence the Orbi, used to be a ASUS RT-AC66U but it's Qos was limited to 100mbps and it didn't have the range), so I put it in 'MODEM' mode which does exaclty what it sounds like and have attached the ORBI to that. So that is 1 I think. 

TBH I don't see why I should have to do 2 or 3 bacuse it should just work. I may try 2 at the weekend when noone is around as it seems like it will take the least configuring.

Message 18 of 91
jimbojames79
Apprentice

Sorry, not having a go, just getting really frustrated with what should be pretty much a plug and play bit of kit...

Message 19 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

It should and understand the frustration. I think it would be easiest for you to use the ISP routers DMZ and input the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem into the modems DMZ. Set up a IP address reservation on the modem for the Orbi router. After this is done, reboot the modem and Orbi router and give it a go.

Message 20 of 91
jimbojames79
Apprentice

I saw this on another thread and touch wood it appears to have resolved my issues:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Advanced WAN Setup changed MTU Size(in bytes) to 1492.

Message 21 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@jimbojames79 wrote:

I saw this on another thread and touch wood it appears to have resolved my issues:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Advanced WAN Setup changed MTU Size(in bytes) to 1492.

Message 22 of 91
Mgomez85
Apprentice

Under advance setting > internet setup clone the MAC address of your PC, this always happens to me from day one until I clone my MAC address from my MacBook and it works without a hiccup! Might not work for all but just add my help to the issue
Message 23 of 91
jimbojames79
Apprentice

It worked perfectly for 5 days then this morning it was rubbish again. No settings changed. Did a rebboty, made no difference. Gutted.
Message 24 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try option #2...

Message 25 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7