Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Facebook and Instagram Intermittent Loading

becktoven
Aspirant

Was having same problem with IG & FB not loading pictures/posts etc. Changed IPV6 setting to OPEN from SECURED and it fixed the problem... at least immediately it did... I'm wondering whether or not that is prudent and what are the risks of changing that setting? Any help on that is appreciated!
Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 51 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you mean NAT Filter? Theres only IPv6 enable and disabled....

You can run NAT Filter OPEN and it's a different way to allow data to pass thru the firewall. 

@becktoven wrote:
Was having same problem with IG & FB not loading pictures/posts etc. Changed IPV6 setting to OPEN from SECURED and it fixed the problem... at least immediately it did... I'm wondering whether or not that is prudent and what are the risks of changing that setting? Any help on that is appreciated!

Message 52 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

Under the 'ADVANCED SETUP' tab in the 'ADVANCED' settings, I click on the IPV6 option.  At the bottom of that page it says:

IPv6 Filtering                                                             secured            open

I changed the setting to OPEN from SECURED and that worked for the IG & FB problem.  I confirmed (with the kids of course because I don't use either of them) it is still working this morning after changing the setting last night.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 53 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have IPv6 natively supported from your ISP? If not then you can disable IPv6 all together, if you do then you can use IPv6 with Filtering set to OPEN if this clears up the issue for you. If you don't seem to use IPv6 then you can disable IPv6. 

@becktoven wrote:

Under the 'ADVANCED SETUP' tab in the 'ADVANCED' settings, I click on the IPV6 option.  At the bottom of that page it says:

IPv6 Filtering                                                             secured            open

I changed the setting to OPEN from SECURED and that worked for the IG & FB problem.  I confirmed (with the kids of course because I don't use either of them) it is still working this morning after changing the setting last night.

Message 54 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

Yes, it's supported and changing the value to OPEN from secured fixed the problem with IG & FB.  My question to the community was basically, what kind of risk is there changing the value from SECURED to OPEN for the IPv6 Filtering setting???

Message 55 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Nominal. It's just using a differnt way to filter some data thru the router. I believe simimar to NAT Filter on IPv4. 

Possible something that NG could review to see if they can make IG and FB work with IPv6 Fitler set to secure. 

You might submit a support ticket and start some dialog with NG about this:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 56 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

A little more info...  After contacting support, I found out my ISP does not support IPv6.  Setting IPv6 Filtering to 'OPEN' fixed it for some reason.  Perhaps this is the solution to others having the same issue with Facebook & InstaGram.  Don't know but it worked for me...

Message 57 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

So if this is the case, then set the IPv6 back to secure, then DISABLE IPv6 all together. I presume the apps will work in this configuration as well. 

Message 58 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

I see no way of disabling IPv6 on my Orbi RBR50 unless I just don't understand the options.  I only see "AUTO DETECT" and "AUTO CONFIG".  I don't see any way to disable it from my choices....

Message 59 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

There should be a check mark that would be seen, remove this. 

Message 60 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

Message 61 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

I'm missing a Check Box somewhere.  I posted a pic of the IPv6 screen....

Message 62 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a menu up under Setup. Is there an IPv6 listing there? There should be a IPv6 with a check box, enable or disable. 

Message 63 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

Nothing in any of the SETUP choices for IPv4 or IPv6...  Went through every tab in there....  It's all pretty basic with no detailed selection choices.

Message 64 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Wonder if they removed that. Try setting local only? 

Message 65 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

I'm done...  It's fixed...   If my ISP ever getst IPv6, I'm ready for it LOL!  Not going to pursue this any further as it's no longer an issue for me.  Hope this helps someone else.

Message 66 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok good to hear. Ya, I'm still waiting on IPv6 with my ISP. Nothing anytime soon.

Enjoy for now. Smiley Wink

Message 67 of 91
Chuck_M
Mentor

I think IP6 is configured (or disabled under ADVANCED, ADVANCED SETUP, IPV6 and then the INTERNET CONNECTION TYPE in the top right corner.  it is a dropdown box where you can disable, Auto detect, and a bunch of other settings.

To disable IP6, select DISABLED>

Message 68 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

Yep, you're right. I missed that at least 3 times and I was looking for it. I disabled IPv6 now.

So I guess for all those having FB & IG issues you can either disable IPv6 or change the Filtering setting to 'OPEN' from 'SECURED' to get around it. I hope this helps others because this was a real mystery why just those two apps wouldn't work properly. Now they do
Message 69 of 91
becktoven
Aspirant

Bad news. It's no longer working when I disabled IPv6. Also not working with the Filtering set to 'OPEN' now. When I set it back to enabled and the Filtering to 'SECURED' it works. Makes no sense at all. Going to have to open a case with support on this.
Message 70 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, seems odd why the change is now different. 

Let us know how it goes with NG support. 

@becktoven wrote:
Bad news. It's no longer working when I disabled IPv6. Also not working with the Filtering set to 'OPEN' now. When I set it back to enabled and the Filtering to 'SECURED' it works. Makes no sense at all. Going to have to open a case with support on this.

Message 71 of 91
Alan__Baban
Aspirant

Same problem I deactivated my armor security and now it’s working now
Message 72 of 91
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Alan__Baban

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 73 of 91
Mr-Han
Initiate

Hi everyone,

I think i found the solution. It is quite simple actually. After many hour of talking to my ISP, I realize it is not the ISP problem but the Orbi defaults setting. Go to advanced set up, then IPv6 change that to pass through so it uses the ISP default one vs Orbi default setting. I am not an network expert so I don’t know the implications of me setting up this way but both FB and Instagram work perfectly right after me doing so.

My set up is:
Shaw Canada router on IP Passthrough mode.
Orbi Router mode.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 74 of 91

@Mr-Han wrote:

I think i found the solution. It is quite simple actually. After many hour of talking to my ISP, I realize it is not the ISP problem but the Orbi defaults setting. Go to advanced set up, then IPv6 change that to pass through so it uses the ISP default one vs Orbi default setting.

Neat.

If other people can confirm that this works for them, this could be marked as Solved.

Message 75 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7