Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Facebook using wifi

pjJim
Tutor

Facebook using wifi

Phones cannot connect to Facebook using wifi from my orbi. Is there a special setting?
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't be. Mine connects iphone 6sP.

What phones do you have?

What Mfr and model# ISP modem is the router connected too?

Any access controls or circle enabled on the router?

Message 2 of 11
pjJim
Tutor

Phones are Samsung s7 and s9+. Also a Samsung tablet. They work fine on wifi elsewhere- for example at starbucks.

Note: wifi worked fine using prior router a netgear nighthawk. So not a phone problem.

Parental controls are off on router.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Mfr and model# ISP modem is the router connected too?

I have a S7 that connects fine to FB. 

Just the samsung devices dont' connect to FB? Do other devices wireless or wired connect? PCs? 

Message 4 of 11
pjJim
Tutor

Modem is an Aris TM822 but I don't think that is relevant as 3 wired computers connect just fine.

Several WiFi webcams and Ring doorbel connect just fine. Twitter, dropbox, onedrive, and linkedin work fine on the phones also. Something about facebook.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seems like something about these phones and FB is having issues. I presume if you disable wifi on the phones, FB works ok on the cell phone service? 

Is IPv6 enabled on the Orbi router? If it is, try disabling it. 

Message 6 of 11
pjJim
Tutor

Yes, works fine on cell service if wifi is disabled. Also works fine on other wifi services - just not mine! IPv6 is disabled.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a full reset on the Orbi router and set it up from scratch. Just set up wifi and nothing else after the reset. You might power OFF the ISP Modem fully for 1 minute then back on, then do the reset on the Orbi router. Don't set up any satellites just yet.

Try setting WPA to OPEN or disabled. See if the phone connect to FB here, then set WPA and TPIK only, then test. Then try WPA2 and AES only and test...Anything?

Message 8 of 11
pjJim
Tutor

Update: I just notice that Facebook on my Samsun tablet connects just fine. It is some interaction between my Orbi and my Samsung S7 and S9+ phones. Also visitors to our home have a similar problem with their phones if they use our WiFi. Works fine using other WiFi providers like Starbucks or Optonline from Cablevision.

I have done the full reset etc. of the routers. All worked fine with my prior Netgear blackhawk router.

Message 9 of 11

I see no mention in this discussion of the firmware version on the Orbi.

Message 10 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@pjJim wrote:

Yes, works fine on cell service if wifi is disabled. Also works fine on other wifi services - just not mine! IPv6 is disabled.

Try enabling IPv6. My connection to Facebook is always v6 these days.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7