Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory Reset "not the same"

CrimpOn
Guru

Factory Reset "not the same"

After updating the RBR50 to 2.7.2.104, I had been annoyed that three of my devices that were connected and working did not show up as "Attached Devices" and decided to save the configuration, do a Factory Reset, reload the configuration and see what happened.

I have a distinct memory that the configuration process at a very early point offered a choice (a) proceed with setup, or (b) reload a saved configuration.  Well, this did not happen. After the setup dumped me out of the Orbi web interface into the Netgear device registration web site, I had to log into the web administration again, proceed to the Advanced Tab and finally "Reload a Saved Configuration."  Why take me to a registration page when the product is already registered?

After rebooting because of the configuration reload, the initial impression was mixed.  Yes, nearly all devices are Attached with the right IP and display the correct information, but....

• 3 devices did not appear (printer, two Tivo units)
  • 2 devices showed the same IP
  • At least 10 devices had lost the Device Model and Device Type information.

So, a configuration saved on 2.7.2.104 and reloaded on 2.7.2.104 was not correct.  This is a reminder that a Factory Reset is only a "reset" if the entire setup is done by hand.  Saving a configuration on a system having issues may simply create those same issues when reloaded.  Maybe I got off easy as rebuilding from scratch would have taken over two hours.

After giving the Orbi overnight, this morning all the devices have appeared and that double IP business has been corrected with the offending device having the IP it was supposed to have.

This has been a reminder to me that (a) my memory of how things work on the Orbi may be of something that has changed and (b) a true manual setup is the only way to guarantee that problems from the previous installation have not been transferred during a Factory Reset.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, your back up configuration, was it generated after a FW loaded and continue from last FW or was it generated after a full factory reset and setup from scratch? 

I don't recall seeing a option to load a saved configuration to file after doing a reset. Though most of my resets are to select the setup wizard. Last time I did a reset on my RBK50, I believe i walked thru the set up wizard as I was trying to establish if Circle was being reported in v104. I did not see any offer to load up a saved cofiguration from file.  Most of the time I get the check for RBS, I skip this here, then it checks for FW updates, then after this, it does send me to the registration page. This has mostly been seen on mine ever time i reset mine. I just go back to the root router page and continue to configure the RBR from here.

Possible NG may have changed this behavior. 

Message 2 of 6
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

After giving the Orbi overnight, this morning all the devices have appeared and that double IP business has been corrected with the offending device having the IP it was supposed to have.

I would keep an eye on this.

Mind 'fixed' with for a whole day then went back to showing a working sat as disconnected.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just curious, your back up configuration, was it generated after a FW loaded and continue from last FW or was it generated after a full factory reset and setup from scratch? 

I had simply updated the router to 2.7.2.102, which immediately offered to update to 2.7.2.104.  No factory reset.  As I said, it is not a surprise that 'saving' that configuration wasn't optimal.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I don't recall seeing a option to load a saved configuration to file after doing a reset. Though most of my resets are to select the setup wizard. Last time I did a reset on my RBK50,

I had not done a factory reset for months and months.  My memory is not perfect, but that "continue with setup or load a saved configuration" was definite, and absolutely not available this time.  I also remember that doing a factory reset required that I log into the web interface with "admin", "password" which no longer happens.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@vajim wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

I would keep an eye on this.

Mine 'fixed' with for a whole day then went back to showing a working sat as disconnected.

Yes, good idea. Hoping that things remain "good", but checking now and then.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm, well everytime i've reset my RBR, i've been always met with the web page that posts pictures about downloading and using Orbi app to set up the RBR, then down at the bottom in little text size is the select here if you don't have a mobile device to setup which is what I use. I've never been met with a default log in after a reset.

Wondering if there is a different between orbilogin.com and 192.168.1.1 <which is what I use mostly when setting up Orbi...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7