Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory reset

johncvv
Aspirant

Factory reset

Why are these devices so hard to factory reset. I have 3 different mesh setups from Netgear, between my family and me upgrading, and everyone of them have been virtually impossible to reset.

Most of the time the standard press the reset button till the amber light blinks does nothing. I press the reset and the light doesn’t do a thing. When it does go amber and flash it still doesn’t actually do anything. Same custom settings, WiFi name, password, etc.

On the devices that don’t do anything the 30-30-30 does seem to get the amber light to work, but still actually reset anything. So far my only solution is to use a laptop and plug in an Ethernet cable and do a reset from the web interface.

Why is this so difficult? This is not just one product either, I have ad this issue on a nighthawk mesh, and older Orbi, and a newer Orbi. The only thing I can think of is this is Netgear’s way of keeping people from selling their products used as I have had to work really hard to setup products that I have bought second hand and my brother actually gave up on the used nighthawk setup he bought because he couldn’t get it to reset and the previous owner didn’t have the admin password.
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Factory reset

What Orbi model are you referring too? 

Usually using the web UI ERASE function works best for me. 15 second press of the reset button then release has worked for me as well. 

Message 2 of 6
johncvv
Aspirant

I have had issues with RBK59, RBK850, and Nighthawk Mesh router and satellites. And have seen lots of pots in the forums of people having the same issues.

I was able to use the web ui but if you need to reset the admin password or don’t have a way to get to the web ui, the button should work and in my experience it doesn’t.
Message 3 of 6
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello johncvv,

I understand that you are having issues factory resetting your Orbi Mesh system. 

Please try the steps below to successfully factory reset your system:

1. Turn off your Orbi router.
  2. Press the reset button with a paperclip (hold it down for the next step).
  3. Power on router.
  4. Release the reset button after three seconds of powering on your Orbi router. 

Please let me know if these steps were able to resolve your difficulties with resetting your Orbi Mesh system. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
johncvv
Aspirant

I was able to reset my system with the web ui, my question was more general since I had the same problem with 3 different devices. I did try this as well as the 30-30-30. My biggest concern is that even when the light blinks amber which should signal a reset the password and WiFi name didn’t reset. The only thing that worked was the ui reset
Message 5 of 6
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Johncvv,

Thank you for your reply. 

What is the model number and firmware of your Orbi Mesh System?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7