Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory restore and then restoring settings?

engin33r_atl
Guide

Factory restore and then restoring settings?

A lot of the posts about the Orbi beta firmware suggest factory resetting the router prior to the firmware upgrade. I'm wondering how the factory reset plays in conjunction with the backup + restore settings functionality. The reason I want to restore my old settings is because I've named all of the devices on my network and I don't want to lose that work.

So I'm wondering, what is included inside the settings file that you can backup and restore? Is it a bad idea to restore settings after doing a factory reset for the purposes of validating that the new beta firmware is solid?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

There are many changes in the Beta FW which may cause older FW settings to not work well in this beta version. The Beta FW needs a clean slate to start over and set up from scratch. User have seen problems continue after appling the beta. After doing a factory reset, there problems stopped. I saw same thing with mine. Future updates should not need a reset and set up from scratch. NG is aware of this.

Message 2 of 4
engin33r_atl
Guide

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. What is in the settings payload that is saved or restored? Does it definitely conflict with the beta firmware's need for a clean slate or are we just speculating?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the payload is not viewable or in plain text format. So we don't know exact data it's saving.

Resetting the router and satellite have provent to resolve continued problems after just upgrading FW.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7