Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fail to rename orbi satellite

Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Fail to rename orbi satellite

Recently I have purchased rbk20 and a rbk 40 for a better wifi coverage. Everthing works fine before this issue exists, I tried to rename the rbs 20 to ''parents-bedroom''.

Screenshot_2019-03-10 NETGEAR Router Orbi.png

However, in the menu of attached devices, it shows ''orbi satellite'' instead of ''parents-bedroom''. Does there any solution?

Screenshot_2019-03-10 NETGEAR Router Orbi(1).png

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Fail to rename orbi satellite

@Jeremy_1208 wrote:

Tried and it shows my devices were connected to the main router(Rbr20). After that, I unplug the lan cable and it shows ''orbi satellite'' again.Man Frustrated

• So when you had the Ethernet Backhaul the devices showed as wired to the Router? What type of devices do you have: wired or wireless, any difference between wired and wireless devices' behavior?
  • I guess you're still on Orbi SW 2.2.1.210. Can you please upgrade to next SW (2.3.0.28) and see if this will make improvement.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21

All Replies
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

How are trying to rename them? Normally I would go to the web based gui and under attached devies click on the satellite, get the edit screen, rename, hit apply and all it good.

Message 2 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

I tried what you have done, however, nothing change. Also, I factory reset my whoe wifi system but nothing change. Feeling sad about it.

Message 3 of 21
ekhalil
Master

I can't see the pictures that you posted. Can you please post them as attached files instead.

I had no problem to rename my satellite to "parents-bedroom". Do you happen to use the paranthesis with the name?

Is the link to the satellite working well which doing the change?

Namnlöst.png

Message 4 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, here is the image file. Sorry for using the chinese version of the GUI. The link to satellite works fine in the renaming process. Althoughit it shows that I have renamed the orbi satellite, it show that my devices was connected to ''orbi satellite'' instead of ''Parents-Bedroom''

Message 5 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Message 6 of 21
ekhalil
Master

This is how I see the pictures that you post as pictures, I think it's waiting for a moderator to approve them:

Namnlöst.png

Please post them as attached files instead!

Message 7 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Here's the photo, plesae take a look at it.

Message 8 of 21
ekhalil
Master

You mentioned that you did factory reset, have you done factory reset for the satellite? Most probably you could fix this by factory resetting the satellite (NOT the router please).

Otherwise if you want to go the "easy" 🙂 way, then please print the following parameters that will show what information the router has about your satellites:

1. Enable telnet on the router (from the http://orbilogin.com/index.htm page of the web interface)
  2. telnet to router
  3. After loggin in, run the following print comands on the command line:
    1. root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep sate_default_name[0-9]
    2. root@RBR50:/# config get satellite_online_num
    3. root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep satellite[1-9]
    4. root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep sate[1-3]
    5.  root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep 'orbi_dev_name[1-3]='
    6. root@RBR50:~# cat /var/current_satellite_list

7. root@RBR50:~# cat satellite_mac_list

Message 9 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

I have factory reset the satellite. Can you show the process? Many thanks!

Message 10 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@Jeremy_1208 wrote:

I have factory reset the satellite. Can you show the process? Many thanks!

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password that you used to login to Orbi
  • Enter the commands above and paste them here please.
Message 11 of 21
ekhalil
Master

Please let me know if anything is not clear...

Message 12 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

The instruction is clear but I am not good at using command so... Maybe I just ignore this issue...
Message 13 of 21
ekhalil
Master

Ok, please try the following:

1. Try to change the name to something simple like "Testing", apply the change then change again to another name try "Master Bedroom". Please test this and see what happens. Please do this from the web GUI not from the Orbi app.
  2. If this does not work, then please try to -temporarily- connect the satellite to the router by LAN cable, when you see that the connection changes to "wired", then make the name changes, and see if this will make through this time.
Message 14 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Tried. Issue still exists.
Message 15 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@Jeremy_1208 wrote:
Tried. Issue still exists.

Have you also tried the cable method above? 🙂

Message 16 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Tried and it shows my devices were connected to the main router(Rbr20). After that, I unplug the lan cable and it shows ''orbi satellite'' again.Man Frustrated

Message 17 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@Jeremy_1208 wrote:

• So when you had the Ethernet Backhaul the devices showed as wired to the Router? What type of devices do you have: wired or wireless, any difference between wired and wireless devices' behavior?
  • I guess you're still on Orbi SW 2.2.1.210. Can you please upgrade to next SW (2.3.0.28) and see if this will make improvement.
Message 18 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Let me makes it clear, if I wire connected my rbs to rbk20, it shows all my devices is wire connected to the rbr20 no matter I am using wifi or not.

On the other hand, I am still on Orbi SW 2.2.1.210 and it is because if I check software update through Web GUI or the orbi app, it shows I am on the latest version. Should I manually update the firmware and what is the sequence of the update process? satellite first or the main router first?

Message 19 of 21
Jeremy_1208
Aspirant

Just manually updated to the latest firmware and reboot the router. Everything works fine and it shows''Parents-Bedroom'' again. Hope this firmware will be the stable one. Many thanks!

Message 20 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@Jeremy_1208 wrote:

Just manually updated to the latest firmware and reboot the router. Everything works fine and it shows''Parents-Bedroom'' again. Hope this firmware will be the stable one. Many thanks!

That's great to know. Yes, I also hope that the new software will work as it should. So far I find it very good and stable.

Good luck!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7