Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failure to get internet IP with Metronet Fiber ONT - Orbi Router RBR50v2

klsmls
Aspirant

Failure to get internet IP with Metronet Fiber ONT - Orbi Router RBR50v2

Power cycle modem.  Power cycle Orbi.  In all order.  Factory reset.  Netgear support.  Nothing worked.

My Orbi wifi router will no longer get a WAN (internet) IP from the Metronet Fiber ONT device.  It used to work fine and now it doesn't.  Connecting my Mac to the ONT gets an IP and connects to the internet just fine.  

Any thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you connect the RBR to a different router and configure the RBR for AP mode to see if this mode works? The RBR should get an IP address from the up stream router. IF it doesn't here as well. Possible the RBR is faulty. Might ask NG support about an RMA. 

Message 2 of 34
kgsmethers
Aspirant

I think I’m having this same issue. Starting this morning my Orbi is telling me no connection from my metronet internet. Contacted metronet and everything is good on their end. I’m only moderately tech-y so I really have no idea what to do.
Message 3 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard? Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on when you reset the RBR. See if the RBR gets an IP address. Try the suggestion in the prior post as well. 

If nothing works, you'll need to contact NG support. 

@kgsmethers wrote:
I think I’m having this same issue. Starting this morning my Orbi is telling me no connection from my metronet internet. Contacted metronet and everything is good on their end. I’m only moderately tech-y so I really have no idea what to do.

Message 4 of 34
kgsmethers
Aspirant

Yes. I did a full factory reset and I’ve power cycled numerous times. Even after downgrading firmware I’m still having the connection issues
Message 5 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

So is the RBR getting an IP address from the modem or having connection issue to the internet? 

Message 6 of 34
kgsmethers
Aspirant

I’m honestly not sure. How would I check? If I plug a computer directly into the modem I have great connection
Message 7 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 with a web browser and check the Advanced Tab Home page. Status on the WAN  port will be seen here. 

What FW version are you using now? 

Message 8 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

@klsmls wrote:

My Orbi wifi router will no longer get a WAN (internet) IP from the Metronet Fiber ONT device.

When I read through the posts, it is not clear to me how you learned this.  I presume devices suddenly quit working, which led you to investigate.... how?  (Orbi web interface?  Orbi "app"?)  Was there a specific message?

Message 9 of 34
kgsmethers
Aspirant

Here’s everything as is.
Message 10 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Just let us know if you see an IP address under the Internet section. If you do, then I would make a new post about what your having problems with as it would not be related to what this current thread is about. 

@kgsmethers wrote:
Here’s everything as is.

Message 11 of 34
kgsmethers
Aspirant

Yes. There is an IP address.
Sorry and thank you for the help
Message 12 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, start a new post and we'll continue this here. 

Thank you. 

@kgsmethers wrote:
Yes. There is an IP address.
Sorry and thank you for the help

Message 13 of 34
Rich972
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue. Happened after storms last night. It’s showing No IP address found. Internet works fine when plugging in directly to Metronet modem. Metronet says it’s a Netgear issue. Netgear says it’s a Metronet issue. Very frustrating. Any other ideas?
Message 14 of 34
kgsmethers
Aspirant

@Rich972
I spent two hours on the phone with Netgear today and they came to the conclusion that it’s a hardware issue (at least on my end) due to the storms. However, I was still showing an IP address. I’d suggest calling their tech support! Open a ticket on their support portal first to help expedite.
Message 15 of 34
Rich972
Aspirant

I even bought a new Netgear router today (assuming my old Orbi got fried in the storm) and it can’t connect either. So whatever it is, it looks like a broader issue between Netgear and Metronet.
Message 16 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

I saw a question earlier, but did not see a response.  i.e. the Orbi appears to receive an IP address from Metrolink (which can be seen on the "Internet" panel)

• Devices connected to the Orbi via WiFi definitely have no internet, and
  • Devices wired to the Orbi with ethernet cables are...what? (working?  also not working?)

What happens if a computer connected to the Orbi attempts to do something not involving DNS?
For example, "ping" an internet address, such as Google's DNS servers at 8.8.8.8?

Message 17 of 34
Rich972
Aspirant

It does not work being plugged in directly to the Orbi either.
Message 18 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

and the "ping"?

or, opening a web page by IP address rather than "name"?

Message 19 of 34
Rich972
Aspirant

Typing in the IP address directly did not help either. 

Message 20 of 34
klsmls
Aspirant

The WAN (internet) web age on the Orbi router shows 0.0.0.0 for the IP, subnet, default gateway, etc.  I hit release and renew on the lease and nothing changes.

Message 21 of 34
klsmls
Aspirant

I was able to "workaround" the issue but, to me, there is still an issue between the Orbi RBR50 and the MetroNet ONT.  Probably a bug of some sort.  I will be replacing with a Google Wifi or Amazon Eero and get my money back on the Orbi.

Here's what I did with the help of the Netgear support team.

Connect my Mac directly to the Metronet ONT.  Everything works.  Mac gets an IP via DHCP from the ONT and connects to internet.  Go into the System Preferences->Network->Advanced->TCP/IP and copy the IP, Subnet mask, Router numbers.  Goto Hardware and copy the MAC address.

Unplug the Mac and connect the Orbi to the ONT.  Login to the Orbi adminstration web portal.  Goto Basic->Internet and select the "Use static IP Address".  Enter the IP, subnet mask and router into the IP forms.  Enter the DNS IP.  Enter the MAC address in the "Use this Mac Address section. 

This effectively clones the Macbook that was working.  I'm not sure how long this will last (maybe until the DHCP lease expires)  but everything is working for me again.

Message 22 of 34
Rich972
Aspirant

Good to know, I'll try this, thanks.

Metronet will also provide you a free router. You can always use this as a backup option until the Orbi issue gets fixed (or if your temp solution doens't work).

Message 23 of 34
Cficklin31
Tutor

I'm having the exact same issue since yesterday afternoon. I just installed my RBR50 a few weeks ago to replace a Netgear R6400 (which was still working, just wanted better speeds and coverage). I have tried both of these routers and have reset each to factory settings (the R6400 hadn't even been plugged in for 3-4 weeks, so couldn't have got a recent firmware update). I called Metronet and they blamed Netgear and said Netgear routers are having issues on their system since last Friday (3/3/20). Since both factory reset routers are having the exact same issue of getting a working IP from the modem, I find it hard to believe it's a Netgear router issue. I'm following this thread with great interest. I haven't tried the IP clone workaround, as I figure that is a temporary fix that will work until the dynamic IP from the modem updates.
Message 24 of 34
Cficklin31
Tutor

UPDATE:  I was able to resolve my issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. Connected Macbook directly to the Metronet ONT, which provided working internet.

2.  Went into Macbook network settings, then to TCP/IP tab.  Renewed the DHCP Lease.

3. Connected the factory reset RBR50 to the Metronet ONT.

4. Connected Macbook to the ORBI and went into ORBI settings using the IP address.  

5. Completed the ORBI new product setup

I don't know if the DHCP renew was what did the trick or if I just got lucky, but it worked.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7