Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failure to get internet IP with Metronet Fiber ONT - Orbi Router RBR50v2

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Cficklin31, good workaround trick!

Did you enable "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time"?

If you're not in DST zone, turn it off.  Otherwise enable it, but switch NTP server from default NETGEAR to time.google.com to see if the problem comes back again after current DHCP lease expires.

Message 26 of 34
Cficklin31
Tutor

Thanks for the tip.  Auto adjust for DST was already enabled and I am in a state that observes DST.  I changed the NTP to google as you suggested.  Now I'll wait and see if that helps.

Message 27 of 34
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just FYI - If you set Orbi to use that DHCP IP address as static, you might run into trouble again if your ISP ditches out a different IP address upon next renewal window.

Message 28 of 34
Cficklin31
Tutor

No, I didn't change it to static.  I left it set as "Get Dynamically from ISP".

Message 29 of 34
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Cficklin31, I'm curious if your Orbi is still holding up with Google NTP server...

Message 30 of 34
Cficklin31
Tutor

So far so good.  Do you think there is an issue with the Netgear NTP causing issues with network authentication on Metronet?

Message 31 of 34
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

It's only a suspicion on my part, hence the request for an update.  I can't really test/verify my suspicion because my Orbi is currently running in AP Mode.  If NTP/time server is not working properly, it could cause problem for Orbi/DHCP when it's time to renew its WAN IP address because DHCP relies on working NTP/timer for IP address renewal.

Message 32 of 34
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Cficklin31, when you get a chance, can you check/post Orbi's logs for "[Time synchronized with NTP server] ..."?  If Orbi is working/happy, there shouldn't be any "[Time synchronized with NTP server]" entry in the log after the switch.

Message 33 of 34
longsilver
Aspirant

Re: Failure to get internet IP with Metronet Fiber ONT

I also am having trouble getting my Netgear R6400v2 to get internet from a Metronet ONT.

I tried everything then finally found that if I set the R6400 MAC address to my PC MAC address and now I get internet access.  That is one of the options in Advanced > Setup > Interet Setup.

I tried updating firmware to the latest on my R6400v2, now running the latest V1.0.4.98_10.0.71.  That didn't fix anything.

I tried power cycling in the recommended sequences and that didn't fix anything.  

I tried to have the modem release and renew its IP address.  That fixed nothing.

My computer could always get internet access when I connected it directly to the Metronet ONT.  I never had an issue with the R6400v2 with a Spectrum cable modem.  The issue only started when I switched service to Metronet.

Metronet refuses to acknowledge that their ONT is causing the problem, but I believe their ONT is blocking certain MAC addresses from getting an IP address.  Anyways, I have a fix that is working.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7