Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature Request: Orbi Satellite Ethernet Backhaul

@AmitR wonderful! I will hang on to my Orbi's and eagerly await the release!!
Message 101 of 252

@truepudding wrote:
@AmitR wonderful! I will hang on to my Orbi's and eagerly await the release!!

we have heard the sa me from the dev team before , i wouldnt count these chickens till the come home to roost , after all they comment was they where working on it and there is a big difference between that and achieved it

i would also wonder if those expecting 2 x 5 gig bands to be available once ethernet backhaul becomes available will be disapointed still if its still just 1 x 2.4 and 1 x 5 gig as i cant see it changing to a real tri band router as well

Message 102 of 252
ubo32
Tutor

peteytesting, I hope that whoever stepped on your bed of roses apologizes soon. Perhaps then, you can be less doom-and-gloom, and smile a bit. 

To stay on track... Looking forward to seeing if this feature actually comes to fruition; it would be awesome. 

Message 103 of 252
khcole
Initiate

Please make this backward compatible to RBK50 (and others).  It was a huge miss to not have it from the start.  Thanks!

Message 104 of 252

@ubo32 wrote:

peteytesting, I hope that whoever stepped on your bed of roses apologizes soon. Perhaps then, you can be less doom-and-gloom, and smile a bit. 

To stay on track... Looking forward to seeing if this feature actually comes to fruition; it would be awesome. 

been around to long to believe anything not cast in stone and promises often fail to eventuate

Message 105 of 252
Bulltipper
Initiate

If we want this feature we need everyone to vote for it in the above post. Thats how that feature request will get implemented. Yes its a star network, which is debatably faster due to less hops. So please lets all go vote for it here and get the firmware with this in it!

Message 106 of 252
Bulltipper
Initiate

Will there be/or is there a beta test group that we can sign up for to test potential future firmware for you on these requested features?

Message 107 of 252
dwalman
Initiate

I apologize if I missed this in the Solution provided from amitrele but was there confirmation the Ethernet Backhaul will be via a Firmware update and not require updated hardware?

Message 108 of 252

@dwalman wrote:

I apologize if I missed this in the Solution provided from amitrele but was there confirmation the Ethernet Backhaul will be via a Firmware update and not require updated hardware?

they are working on getting it up with the current hardware ,

Message 109 of 252
JMU1998
Luminary

ORBI is using a Qualcomm IPQ4019 which is a 720Mhz Quad core CPU!! Paired with 512Mb of RAM and 4Gb of flash with this powerful hardware Ethernet backhaul should be feasible with existing Orbi, many competitors with much less powerful hw have it.

Message 110 of 252
Backhaul
Initiate

Will ethernet backhaul be added to all the orbi products (RBK30, RBK40, RBK50, RBK53, and RBK43)?  I ask because I have yet to buy orbi as I was waiting on ethernet backhaul before making the purchase.  Do you have an ETA or ballpark ETA?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Message 111 of 252

i believe if they can add it to the rbk50 its should be added to all as they are all interoperable

however no idea till they go from "working on it " to " here it is "

Message 112 of 252
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I know its only a few weeks since amitrele (Orbi Product Team) broke the news that they are actively working on bringing this feature.

Is anyone in a position to provide an update?

This and the abality to purchase a single satellite in the UK are major considerations as to wether or not I stick with Orbi or cut my losses and seriously look at the Google WiFi now its available in the UK. 

I really want to stick with Orbi but it is now causing more problems than I can live with on a daily basis.

Thanks.

Message 113 of 252
jeffreywest
Guide

If Orbi had ethernet backhaul I would return the eero 3-node system that I just purchased and installed yesterday and get an Orbi...  Hope it comes soon.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 114 of 252
dawiz22
Star

Returned my Orbi system yesterday. Can't get a signal through the reinforced concrete walls. If they'd come with ethernet backhaul I'd be a happy camper now 😕
Message 115 of 252
jeffreywest
Guide

This is not 'solved'. Tell your community admin that there are better metrics to track than the number of solved/unsolved feature requests and that you ne d a better platform which has more that two states for a request (solved/unsolved)
Message 116 of 252
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"We acknowledge some disconnect issues"... Well we better go mark all those threads as solved also!
Message 117 of 252
althea
Guide

I'm confused. I have a separate structure that requires a satellite Ethernet connection. Is "backhaul" only a function of the satellite or does the router itself make this not possible. I was told by support that I can use my existing Airport Express via Ethernet but I am having a heck of a time getting it to work. Every time I try to update the settings on the Airport Express to extend my Orbi wireless network it disconnects everything on my network from the internet (wireless signal still works but the Orbi is not picking up the internet from my gateway). I'm thinking of trying a different wired access point. If it's just a matter of the satellite not supporting ethernet, shouldn't it work if I just hook up, say, a Netgear WAC510 or any other access point that provides an ethernet port for connecting to a router???? If so, is there any disadvantage to doing this?? Would this create a different SSID for the wired access point?? (that would be a deal killer).

I've been pulling my hair out over this for over a week. I would be ecstatic if someone knowledgable could clear this up for me.

Thanks.....

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 118 of 252
jeffreywest
Guide

Orbi doesn't support what you are trying to do. Eero likely does. Return orbi and give eero a shot.

WDS usually only works between APs running the sand firmware on the same hardware. At least that's how you get the best results.
Message 119 of 252
althea
Guide

@jeffreywest wrote:
Orbi doesn't support what you are trying to do. Eero likely does. Return orbi and give eero a shot.

WDS usually only works between APs running the sand firmware on the same hardware. At least that's how you get the best results.

Thank you! Would the Linksys Velop work also? Any other good recommedations? Is there any particular reason to favor Eero over Velop?

Thanks for your reply.

Message 120 of 252
jeffreywest
Guide

I have eero now and am somewhat hopeful that Orbi will add ethernet backhaul in time for me to return it.  I wanted something simple to manage and that would 'just work' with my >50 wireless devices so I decided to give eero a try.  I'm highly technically proficient but I dont want to spend my time futzing with wifi constantly.  Eero has a nice management app for ios as well which I like.  You can see which devices are connected to which satellite and the app is easy to use.

One thing I don't like is that it doesn't have 'band steering' or the ability to have device X always connect to 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz.  My iphone regularly connects to 2.4G which isnt a big deal, but theres only one SSID so this will happen from time to time.

Message 121 of 252
ImNoOne
Guide

Just out of curiosity, other than corporate avarice, WHY would a company neglect a buggy, quirky existent product in order to introduce a NEW, potentially buggy, quirky NEW variant?  I purchased an ORBI ste about 5 months ago and FINALLY (upon the recommendation of NETGEAR), returned it to the store.  It REPEATEDLY disconnected and FINALLY just "locked up" to the point that I could not access the unit either by my existent router password OR by the "factory password" after "hard reset"....it just turned into a BRICK!

In reading ongoing comments on ORBI (I LIKE the product and it worked GREAT when it worked), I note that the SAME issues continue to plague them.

Your customers want:

(1) Stability and function.

(2) USB port

(3) ETHERNET backhaul

Why not give us (your customers) that which they need/desire, instead of "new" products that seem to have the singular advantage of being a bit cheaper, but that still retain the same negative issues of "no USB", "no backhaul", fewer ports, and similar, if not reduced (when working) performance?  I would LOVE to revisit/repurchase ORBI...IF it were reliable and up to at least a modicum of "elegance". 

Message 122 of 252
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey ImNoOne, where were you able to return it after 5 months? I would love that option!
Message 123 of 252
ImNoOne
Guide

Sorry for confusion.  I returned it about 5-10 days afterward (back in January)...to COSTCO.  They now have a $75.00 off offer on the 3-pk or RBK 50's.  I'm thinking about trying it again (Yes, I'm STUPID, but it REALLY worked when it DID work!) in hopes that they may have issued a new hardware REV. or at least a fimrware update that actually IMPROVES something!  😞  Thoughts??

Message 124 of 252
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't believe they have. I received a new roiter through the RMA process this week and it arrived brand new in the box. It was broadcasting the exact same backhaul issue before I even connected it to the internet.
Message 125 of 252
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7