Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature Request: Orbi Satellite Ethernet Backhaul

rafale7
Apprentice

@ImNoOne wrote:

Sorry for confusion.  I returned it about 5-10 days afterward (back in January)...to COSTCO.  They now have a $75.00 off offer on the 3-pk or RBK 50's.  I'm thinking about trying it again (Yes, I'm STUPID, but it REALLY worked when it DID work!) in hopes that they may have issued a new hardware REV. or at least a fimrware update that actually IMPROVES something!  😞  Thoughts??

Waste of time in my opinion. Don't do it. Netgear has apparently designed this product for a very specific use case and decided to prioritize a cheaper lower performing version of it to attempt to compete with cheaper competition without recognizing the others have a broader market thanks to greater feature set as you rightfully brought up. I would fire the marketing and product management guys who wrote the business case for this if I was Netgear.

Message 126 of 252
jeffreywest
Guide

I dont work for Netgear.

Generally speaking, it is more likely that there are important things that the team is prioritizing from their perspective and those things may not be visilble to end consumers.  Product Management, especially for the consumer market, can be very challenging.  Products are often rushed to market and in doing so the team must make compromises and incur tech debt.  That tech debt may be easy or very difficult to pay off.  Over time the capacity of the development team and release pipeline will shift towards customer demands, assuming they have the resources.

Message 127 of 252
ImNoOne
Guide

It would seem, however, that the (now almost 9 month) ongoing connectivity issue complaints (missing features notwithstanding), that NETGEAR would note a "pattern of deficiency" and would choose to address it.  It's hard to market a "new" product when the existing predecessor seems to be mired in mediocrity.

NETGEAR has a DYNAMITE concept...they just need to make sure it doesn't "fizzle".  Product quality and reliability drive sales...NOT abandonment and "flash".

Message 128 of 252
jeffreywest
Guide

Actually, its quite easy - what is the market opportunity for fixing an existing product versus introducing a new one?  If you assume that 40% or more of the people with the old product will buy the new one perhaps it makes more sense to invest in the future...

Message 129 of 252
rafale7
Apprentice

I work in technology marketing and can tell you that's not the logic. It should always be existing customer first because they are always the best advocates to get new ones. Netgear though seem to think more like you.

Message 130 of 252
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I agree rafale7. A loyal customer is invaluable. Netgear is burning bridges with customers and many will never give them another chance.
Message 131 of 252
jeffreywest
Guide

I've worked in the industry for a long time.  At the end of the day they are trying to make money.  Smaller companies MUST focus on happy customers but larger companies do not necessarily share that same need.

I'm not advocating this approach, but thanks for passing judgement on me 🙂  I've seen all different approaches to the product.  

People complaining here on this forum are unlikely to be the 'strategic customers' that Netgear 'must' listen to.

This is the problem with consumer products...

Message 132 of 252
ubo32
Tutor

Please take your business model discussions elsewhere. 

The devs are NOT reading this board -- nor is their workload determined by these posts. 

Message 133 of 252
ImNoOne
Guide

I had no intention of "sparking" a revolt.  Just looking for a product that will deliver consistent/stable performance in  a MESH environment.  The ORBI was GREAT when it worked...I got 3-10X speeds over my existing HAWKING range extender in most areas of my home.  Hence, my disappointment in the reliability AND in the somewhat rudimentary software interface that ORBI delivered.

Message 134 of 252
Aanholt
Initiate

Any news on this topic? I was talking with people from Netgear Netherlands last month and they told me that the firmware upgrade for Ethernet Backhaul would be available before august ( and yes.... in 2017).

Message 135 of 252

@Aanholt wrote:

Any news on this topic? I was talking with people from Netgear Netherlands last month and they told me that the firmware upgrade for Ethernet Backhaul would be available before august ( and yes.... in 2017).

there has been no time frame set at all for ethernet backhaul , the only comment made by the dev team is they are currently looking at working on a solution , beyond that anything else is a guess at this stage , but i can prob assure you it wont be by august

Message 136 of 252

well it seems one of the requests has been activated with the usb 2 ports now working for both printer and usb dongle and hdd for sharing

Message 137 of 252
rhester72
Virtuoso

@peteytesting, since when?  I miss some major update?

Rodney

Message 138 of 252
Aanholt
Initiate

Hi, I don't understand your comment. Since when is this available (or will become available)? I know there was a requirement for this but it was in the same list as the Ethernet connection with the satelite.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 139 of 252
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

"activated with the usb 2 ports now working for both printer and usb dongle and hdd for sharing"

Is this part of the Beta Firmware doing the rounds or the standard publicly available v1.10.1.2 ?

Are there any links to the full details ?

Message 140 of 252

yes seems to in the beat release that been passed out , no detail yet on config or anything else

Message 141 of 252
JMU1998
Luminary

Wish they would include the wired backhaul feature in the next Beta 

Message 142 of 252

I gave up on waiting. The google wifi is cheaper and works a treat. Sorry Netgear, I felt releasing without this feature really tricked a lot of people into expecting something we assumed was there. Every other system has this, and it's not really complete without it. 😞
Message 143 of 252
GabePaul
Initiate

I was just told by Netgear support that the Orbi RBK53 would support ethernet backhaul, is this correct?

Message 144 of 252
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Gabepaul

Ethernet backhaul is on the roadmap to be added at a later date.

DarrenM

Message 145 of 252

No specific date ?

Google WiFi here I am ... 

Message 146 of 252
myrison
Guide

I would also really like to see wired backhaul. I live in a large home and just cannot place the router in the center point in the home (the Kitchen/living room, which are off limits for tech gadgetry).  As a result, the router on one edge of the house cannot reach the other side, no matter how many satellites I use.  

However, the whole house is wired, so if they were able to communicate via backhaul, I could cover all areas easily.  

Unfortunately I'll have to return mine until the feature shows up as the setup isn't usable for me without it.

Message 147 of 252
GabePaul
Initiate

That is exactly the same situation with our home.  I like many of the features of the Orbi, but will not use it without the Ethernet backhaul.

Message 148 of 252
st_shaw
Master

@myrison wrote:

However, the whole house is wired, so if they were able to communicate via backhaul, I could cover all areas easily.  

Unfortunately I'll have to return mine until the feature shows up as the setup isn't usable for me without it.

If your whole house is already wired, a far better soulution than Orbi or any "mesh" system is to install a few wired access points.

Message 149 of 252
myrison
Guide

@st_shaw wrote:

@myrison wrote:

If your whole house is already wired, a far better soulution than Orbi or any "mesh" system is to install a few wired access points.

Agreed, and that's actually what I have now (prior to purchasing the Orbi).  

However, I liked the idea of the simplicity of the Orbi using a single SSID with higher speeds.  It so far generally delivers the higher speeds, but the coverage is actually quite a bit worse, so I'll be switching back to the multi-AP setup I had prior.

Message 150 of 252
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7