Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature Request: Orbi Satellite Ethernet Backhaul

roy9183
Star

Hi Guys ,

Around 200 treads and still no update on the Backhaul.  ORBI have launched their Business Version a few days back.

Do these units support Ethernet Backhaul? I doubt .

Not sure why NETGEAR is looking to risk their business users with an incomplete product and no true mesh capability.

BR.

Robroy

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 201 of 252
adambean
Luminary

Has there been an updates on this request?
Message 202 of 252

i can assure you its been heard and understood and comfirmed by a netgear employee that its on the radar , just a matter of time , but it wont be tomorrow 🙂

Message 203 of 252

Everybody complaining about missing ethernet backhaul (as me) may think about if he really needs Orbi.

The main feature of Orbi is the segregated wireless backhaul channel. MY main reason looking for the Orbi were single SSID and instant roaming, as I have the ability (as the others complaining) of a wired backhaul.

I meanwhile bought Ubiquity stuff and it works quite well providing me those features. Finally as an additional advantage it is cheaper, components are smaller. There is only one little dsadvantage as the stuff didn't offer additional Ethernet ports. But I decided to use a small PoE switch at the place where I need it. Still cheaper and smaller then using an Orbi.

Message 204 of 252
awchiu
Aspirant

I just bought the Orbi and then found out that it CD can't do Ethernet backhaul! That's terrible. I assumed it could because many other mesh products allow this. I too also want a mesh setup for single SSID and more stable Wifi connection from switching between Wifi networks.

Please implement this feature ASAP!!

Thanks,
Disappointed customer
Message 205 of 252

If you just bought it - give it back and buy Ubiquity stuff.

Message 206 of 252
adambean
Luminary

@amitrele - can we gain any validation that this will happen in 2018?
Message 207 of 252
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I understand that this is a much requested feature and there are some users who are very passionate about it and we hear you. 

Generally speaking, I can't speak about dates for features, both as a matter of personal as well as NTGR policy.  All I can say is that it's on our roadmap and we're working to deliver it and other features. 

Orbi Product Management  

Message 208 of 252
Sandspike
Star

Is there a notification list for wired backhaul that we can get on?  That's the least you guys can do.  Create a feedback system or page that we can get updates on.  You may not be able to comment on upcoming releases, due to those dates slipping, or features getting pushed into new products.  You've got a lot of people that want to wait for your product, even though everyone else supports this today.  Wireless inherently fluctuates, and wired backhaul is the best possible solution.

There are many users like myself, that want to purchase an Orbi system due to the performance characteristics as tested by many third part sites, but I won't purchase until Wired Backhaul is available.

Message 209 of 252

@Sandspike wrote:

There are many users like myself, that want to purchase an Orbi system due to the performance characteristics as tested by many third part sites, but I won't purchase until Wired Backhaul is available.

and this is where it makes little sense to me , those sites are reporting performance based on its wireless only backhaul , once you remove the wireless backhaul its nothing more than a few wireless access points that would have no greater benefit than if you purchased wireless access points in the first place

it is coming just cant say when \

pete

Message 210 of 252

Do your homework - here's a good article about mesh: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/technology/personaltech/mesh-network-vs-router.html

I would search around for others too. If you like to play video games walking around your house, or like to use the skype app walking around the house, the mesh network is a better choice. If you are sitting still on your laptop, there is no purpose for anything other than an access point.

The benefit of a mesh network is being able to roam around and switch hubs without a dropped connection. Even if this switch only takes a few seconds to complete on an AP, it's still enough to drop your game or your skype call. Mesh networks keep your connection alive while roaming.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but there really isn't another reason for a mesh network. You can fix deadspots with a cheap AP and don't have a need for it. In my case, I play games while pacing around. I never get dropped.

I switched to google wifi because of wired backhaul, and don't plan on coming back to netgear. I asked about this feature probably a year ago on this thread... I don't think netgear cares to build this. It's only going to sale a handful more units and they will probably spend their time making this in a new version of the orbi vs fixing the existing (as another used mentioned on this thread). 

It boils down to this- if you need mesh (for the reasons above), get another system. I'm sorry to those of you that assumed this feature would be there (because 100% of the competitors have it). If you don't need the features listed above, save your money and buy a router and enough AP's to take care of all your deadspots. 

Message 211 of 252
Sandspike
Star

Let me clarify things.  I think everyone wants a large mesh network, that covers their house under a single SSID without deadspots.  I have everything hardwired that can be.  Only my IOT and phone/tablet devices are on wireless.  Wireless is prone to latency/disconnection and drop out.  By eliminating the wireless backhaul it should make it more stable.  You guys have done a good job according to reviewers with wireless backhaul, it's just not for me.

My issues are further complicated by having gigabit internet.  Your throughput has to be outstanding.

Assuming you can implement wired backhaul correctly, your performance should increase from the already good results.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

I have a Netgear R7000 running Tomato today, with a circle management device for the kids, and a TPLINK Onhub as a 2nd AP, 2nd SSID for my office (Far from the R7000).  R7000 Key features (Static DHCP), VPN, QOS.

I really want to go with Google Wifi, but their advanced features are too limited.  I like the idea of set it and forget it.  Updates applied automatically, and kits of smart features, implemented simply.  Also The devices have to be able to handle the gigabit internet speeds.  Older devices are often limited by port, or processing power to 100Mb-300Mb.

Bottom Line:  We appreciate Netgear responding to people wanting answers, but you've been singing the same song for a while now.  It's coming.  We've all been burned by companies promising updates that never come.  Or you hit a wall and physically can't implement the solution.

Message 212 of 252
MudMan
Guide

I have the base unit in my home and the satellite in my metal building/shop. The mesh WiFi works great for WiFi calling until I close my shop doors.  Having a wired back haul would solve the issue.  We travel back and forth many times a day and having to switch between APs doesn't play well with WiFi calling.  

Message 213 of 252
gdog477
Initiate

Okay enough is enough, Please give an ETA for this feature . I have installed ORBI systems in 7 homes and 2 offices and I have another 13 homes and 1 office that I would like to purchase it for but I need to know when this feature will be realeased or I will unfortunately be forced to use a competitor as my clients are getting impatient. 

Message 214 of 252

it will be here once its ready and not b4 , if thats not quick enough for you i suspect thats your issue 🙂

Message 215 of 252

I got more and more to the point that Netgear is right not give too much priority on this feature.

People mixing up features of the term mesh. Following features are often wanted, but not a primary feature of mesh wireless networks:

-     unique SSID

-     instant roaming

The primary feature of mesh is the INDEPENDENT WIRELESS backhaul not grabbing ressoureces of the client networks.

So if you have wired/ethernet backhaul you usually not really need Orbi or similar products.

Orbi is a great product when you really need a wireless backhaul. If not there are other options.

Unfortunately brands focussed by history on wired stuff are a bit poor on implementing fast(instant roaming and single SSID in their classic wireless products. Netgear and other brands just implementng that with the new hyped Mesh product lines.

But their are other brands like Ubiquiti focussing on wireless and implementing such features for a bigger product line with a lot of choices for everybodies needs. I am only mentioning Ubiquiti because for me there is a good price-performance ratio. There are other brands.

Just try to give some better understanding and people may realize other stuff is better option.

Message 216 of 252

Great post ...

> The primary feature of mesh is the INDEPENDENT WIRELESS backhaul not grabbing ressoureces of the client networks.

but I disagree here. You described mesh in your post well, however (Instant roaming). Resources off the client network is nothing in a world of GB routers for $10. The physics between copper and wireless is mind boggling. This is the primary feature of ORBI, not MESH.

The mesh network devices job is to provide instant roaming to clients. 👍 How it provides that service differs between Orbi, and every single other comparible product that does support wired backhaul. Having a dedicated radio is awesome... but it lacks a feature that would make it the same as the competitors, plus the 20% better. That would make me buy it again.

Also keep in mind you are on a thread with dozens of people wanting this feature. So I don’t think anyone wants to hear that not having this capability is a “feature”. 😁
Message 217 of 252
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

The arguments against wired backhaul are amazing. If the ONLY reason to buy Orbi is the wireless backhaul, the design/engineering team has failed spectacularly.

Backhaul is backhaul. It's not a feature, it's a neccessity. Without it, the remote AP is a table decoration. When available, wired bachkaul should always be preferred for reliability.  When it is not available, use wireless to overcome environmental limitation.

As for Netgear not publishing a roadmap, that's very short sighted to the point of working directly against their marketing efforts instead of complementing them.

Message 218 of 252
Dan_H
Apprentice

So they failed because they provided a product that works extremely well when you can't run wire? They failed because they didn't add wired backhaul for the 25 people bad at math who can't figure out wired orbis are a bad value proposition because if you can run wire they should be buying something much cheaper that would perform the same? Anyway it is coming eventually, so the point is moot. You'll eventually get something that was never advertised to begin with and hopefully you'll be happy.
Message 219 of 252
Sandspike
Star

I don't think they've failed, but you are wrong.  A mesh system that allows for seemless handoff under one SSID and management layer via wired backhaul is what we want.  You can't accomplish that with a cheaper solution.  If Netgear said, we can't/won't do that, then we could move on.  But their solution with wired backhaul would be the best solution for most.  

Message 220 of 252
Dan_H
Apprentice

So you are saying no one makes APs that handle single SSIDs that allow client roaming managed under a single pane?

BTW your device decides when to roam (not the Orbi) and with the Orbi you are either connected to the satellite or router. They talk wirelessly to each other and that is what makes them mesh.
Message 221 of 252
Sandspike
Star

I haven't seen a hands off solution like these multipoint solutions.  I don't want to build a Ubiquity solution.

So, No......Like others the Google solution is close, but performance and configuration options are keeping me from it.

Orbi with wired backhaul is perfect.  Yes wireless could work, but 5GHz is subject to interference, and I've got the wiring....so why not?

Message 222 of 252
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@Dan_H wrote:
So they failed because they provided a product that works extremely well when you can't run wire? They failed because they didn't add wired backhaul for the 25 people bad at math who can't figure out wired orbis are a bad value proposition because if you can run wire they should be buying something much cheaper that would perform the same? Anyway it is coming eventually, so the point is moot. You'll eventually get something that was never advertised to begin with and hopefully you'll be happy.

Snark is not an adequate substitute for reading and responding to the substance of a post.

Message 223 of 252
Dan_H
Apprentice

I'm just saying you are confused. There are plenty of APs that handle single SSIDs so no advantage to Orbi there. They also all hand off the same because it is the client that decides to switch, not the AP or in Orbis case Satellites. The advantage of mesh is, is that the satellites talk to each other and you can extend your network wirelessly. Wirelessly.....if you extend it with wires well than you just have an overpriced ap. .
Message 224 of 252

A mesh network allows a client to connect to one spot and roam to other spots without dropping its connection. You do not get that with APs.

The defining feature is not the ability to extend the network wirelessly. The defining feature is instant roaming for the CLIENT without having to drop off the network.

edit: this is the reason I bought a mesh network anyway. I’d like to take a Skype call or play a game and walk anywhere my network supports without dropping.
Message 225 of 252
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7