Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Feature request: Disable Wireless Backhaul when wired

Caleb73
Aspirant

Feature request: Disable Wireless Backhaul when wired

I'd like to request a feature that disable the wireless backhaul when the satelites are wired into the router.  I have a lot of wifi congestion and having trouble getting reasonable coverage on some of my devices.  Have a router and a satelite with a <3000 sq ft house.  The satelite is wired into the router and they are as far apart as they can be, router in southwest corner of basement, satelite in east end of 2nd floor. 

Used a wifi analyzer app which shows me good coverage at different points in the house, but my wifi smart lock (2.4 ghz) keeps disconnecting.  The config for the lock shows signal strength of -62 to -65.

I've tried different channels for the wifi signal on the orbi router with no luck.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Feature request: Disable Wireless Backhaul when wired

One other reason that wifi backhaul cant' be disabled is that if something happens to the ethernet connection to the RBS, the RBS will fall back on wireless backhaul connection to maintain operation. The wireless backhaul is one 5Ghz and won't effect anything on 2.4Ghz. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The primary WiFi backhaul signal for Orbi is a 5G channel (channel 157 for NA, PR, AU, CA, and TW. Channel 108 for EU, KO, JP, and IN).

See user manual page 153:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Thus, eliminating the WiFi backhaul channel will have no effect on a 2.4G WiFi device.  None.

A signal strength of -62 to -65 would appear to be more than adequate for a door lock:

https://eyenetworks.no/en/wifi-signal-strength/ 

There have been posts on the forum regarding smart door locks with WiFi (as opposed to other proprietary wireless signals).

Would you be comfortable sharing the brand and model of lock?

WiFi radio signals are sensitive to obstacles in the radio path.  (It is a bit irritating that lock manufacturers will tout "solid metal construction" (which clearly blocks WiFi signals) and not show where the antennas are located in the body of the lock.)

Sometimes, moving a WiFi access point just a few feet can make a significant difference in the WiFi transmission.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

One other reason that wifi backhaul cant' be disabled is that if something happens to the ethernet connection to the RBS, the RBS will fall back on wireless backhaul connection to maintain operation. The wireless backhaul is one 5Ghz and won't effect anything on 2.4Ghz. 

Message 3 of 5
Caleb73
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. While the August lock seems to work fine, i'm replacing the batteries for it every other month.  I read the batteries won't last very long if the wifi signal isn't strong enough as the lock tries to re-join the wifi repeatedly.  So I was thinking of ways to increase the speed.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to get a signal sourse close to this device or move the device closer to a signal source. Try moving a RBS closer to the device? 

What is the distance between the device and the RBS or RBR? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7