Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature request (force a device to a specific Orbi)

Namdnas
Tutor

Feature request (force a device to a specific Orbi)

I have one problem device that, for some reason, always chooses the Satellite Orbi instead of the Router Orbi, which is always the furtherest away from the device.  The Router Orbi is by far the closer one to the device.  I can reboot the network and the device will connect to the Router, but will eventually creep back to the Satellite for whatever reason.  It's a stationary device (TV) and never moves.  I'd like to request to have a feature implemented that will allow us to "force" or designate a specific device to a specific Orbi.  I know they plan on releasing a firmware that will allow us to customize how the lights on top act (always on, etc), which I hope gets released soon!  Also, a Guest Network feature would rock!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 14

hi namdnas

i doubt there is a way to force clients to stay on one transmission unless they run some form of black list per transmission which is more seen on commercial ap's etc 

i also doubt they way the lights work will be changed ether as the dev team has spent a lot of time on how the lights perform and as far as i understand there are no plans to change this at this time 

pete

Message 2 of 14
bugmasta
Guide

i would like to have this feature too.  i have security cameras that never move and for some reason i have 1 that insists on connecting to the router when the satellite is literally 10' away.  please make a way for us to assign certain devices to either the satellite or router!

Message 3 of 14
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

Let me chime on here too. I played around with UniFi APs and they provided this feature. Loved it because some times it makes sense to connect to the other device.

Message 4 of 14
djc6
Luminary

At a minimum, I'd like to see a feature so clients cannot connect to Orbi until the Satellites are ready to go.  Often after a reboot, power outage, firmware upgrade, etc.. the router comes up first and many clients latch onto it and never let go.  If clients were prevented from connecting until the Satellites were up, then the clients would latch on to the closest unit.

Message 5 of 14
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

@djc6 wrote:

At a minimum, I'd like to see a feature so clients cannot connect to Orbi until the Satellites are ready to go.  Often after a reboot, power outage, firmware upgrade, etc.. the router comes up first and many clients latch onto it and never let go.  If clients were prevented from connecting until the Satellites were up, then the clients would latch on to the closest unit.

Problem with that is if the sat connects first it can't get internet connectivity. Then your devices would complain. Besides you can always disconnect/reconnect to the SSID and the client device usually connects to the strongest signal. 

Message 6 of 14
djc6
Luminary

@whsbuss-1 wrote:

Problem with that is if the sat connects first it can't get internet connectivity. Then your devices would complain. Besides you can always disconnect/reconnect to the SSID and the client device usually connects to the strongest signal. 

I don't follow what you are saying.  My suggestion is that clients are prevented from connecting until the satellites are connected to router - so how would the clients complain.  Also what would prevent the satellites from internet connectivity.

I don't want to run around the house and disconnect/connect 20 devices every time I do a firmware upgrade so that the clients are connected to the optimal BSSID.   Right now there is a race condition in that the router is available to the clients before the satellites are.

Message 7 of 14
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

@djc6 wrote:

@whsbuss-1 wrote:

I don't follow what you are saying.  My suggestion is that clients are prevented from connecting until the satellites are connected to router - so how would the clients complain.  Also what would prevent the satellites from internet connectivity.

I don't want to run around the house and disconnect/connect 20 devices every time I do a firmware upgrade so that the clients are connected to the optimal BSSID.   Right now there is a race condition in that the router is available to the clients before the satellites are.

What I am saying is without the router connected and running the satellite will not connect to the internet. The router (in AP mode or Router mode) is the connection point for the internet on your LAN. The backhaul radios connect the router to the satellite. What I meant about clients complaining.... when I connect my devices (iphones, ipads, mac, pcs) and they cannot get an internet connection they so notify me. 

Message 8 of 14
djc6
Luminary

@whsbuss-1 wrote:

What I am saying is without the router connected and running the satellite will not connect to the internet. The router (in AP mode or Router mode) is the connection point for the internet on your LAN. The backhaul radios connect the router to the satellite.

I understand all this.  Why can't the router after it is powered on wait until the satellites are connected via backhaul radio (it can use MAC address filtering.. the satellites have unique MACs) THEN allow clients to connect to the Orbi system.

This way clients have no wi-fi to connect to until the satellites are communicating with router.  Since the satellites/router are all available simultaneously, the clients will connect to the optimal node.

Trying to address race condition of router up before satellites and clients connecting directly to router.

Message 9 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Rather than invent a potentially complicated synchronization protocol to optimize a boundary condition, it would be better to support multiple SSIDs plus the trio of 802.11r/k/v protocols.  You can bind a device to a specific satellite by having that satellite broadcast a unique SSID.  802.11r/k/v allow devices to discover the best AP and to switch to it.

Message 10 of 14
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

@TheEther wrote:

Rather than invent a potentially complicated synchronization protocol to optimize a boundary condition, it would be better to support multiple SSIDs plus the trio of 802.11r/k/v protocols.  You can bind a device to a specific satellite by having that satellite broadcast a unique SSID.  802.11r/k/v allow devices to discover the best AP and to switch to it.

Sounds good but I'm not sure another SSID would be the best alternative. Besides this particular issue only affects a small part of the community.... I'm not downplaying it just stating a fact.

Message 11 of 14
rhester72
Virtuoso

I'm very confused as to what the actual issue is.

When I update firmware, all 47 of my wireless devices connect to the router on the first floor, because it comes up first.

However, within roughly 24 hours, my fixed devices upstairs (televisions, light switches, smoke detectors, etc.) have transitioned their connection to the satellite on the second floor as expected, without any intervention on my part.

Sure, it's not instant, but it hardly seems 'broken'.  The system, for me, is doing exactly what it's supposed to.

Rodney

Message 12 of 14
negurrola
Initiate

rhester72 - In my instance the device never transitioned to the satelite even after a few days.  Agreed ideally the Orbi would just automatically manage this and move the device to the proper AP.  The only device I have had an issue with is device that does not support 802.11ac not sure if potentially that could be why its not being moved or moving on its own. 

Message 13 of 14
Raga
Initiate

I have a similar issue, there is one computer that every time it boots up it connects to the router, when it is clearly the worst option (link speed around 25 mbps and very unstable), if I turn off wifi and back on again, it always connects to the satellite, which works way better (400 mbps). The client is an AC capable adapter, so positioning should not be an issue.

The feature requested would be very useful here, sometimes there are just specific things about the layout of our homes that makes you want to handle who connects to which orbi manually...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7