Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FiOS internet setup problem looking for options

ronal
Aspirant

FiOS internet setup problem looking for options

I recently upgraded my FIOS connection to 200/200 and they came out and swapped the coax to ethernet.  I want to get rid of the FiOS router now, since I no longer have FiOS TV service I just want to use my Orbi as the router and save the $$$.

I currently have the FiOS quatum router (with the wifi turned off) and use the RBR 40 and RBS 20 system.  Everything works great.  But when they switched to ehternet, I hade to put the router in the basement so it can be attached to the ONT box.  I then have a switch attached to the FIOS LAN port and then off to the RBR 40.  I also have other hard wired connections coming of a the switch.  I am only using the FiOS gateway router for the WAN connection.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to unplug the FiOS router, move the RBR 40 to the basement and then use it as the router.  But the RBR 40 is currenty on my second floor.  I dont want to put the RBR 40 in the basement.  i dont need wireless access  in the basement.  My RBR 40 is on the second floor, the RBS 40 is on the first floor and coverage is great throughout.  I would like to just get another RBS 40 or 20 but cant find them.

Other thought would be to get a basic wireless rotuer to front end the RBR 40 maybe??

Any thoughts here would be great.  I would love to get another satelite but cant find them anywhere.  That would be the way to go....but since i cant seem to find them, coudlnt i just get abother rotuer to replace the FiOS router (non wireless would be great)....

Thought?

thanks

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: FiOS internet setup problem looking for options

Its not recommended to place any wifi router in basements. Concrete and steel can cause problems and impact wifi performance and coverage. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7