Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fios Quantum router with orbi RBR50/RBS50

Gellie
Aspirant

Fios Quantum router with orbi RBR50/RBS50

I have the Fios for internet only. Should i turn of the WiFi on the fios router and just use to orbi? Or should I use the Fios as router and put the Orbi in AP mode? Thanks

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

AP mode would have more performance as it woudn't have to process as much data as if it was in router mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If the FIOS routewr can be bridged or has DMZ, you can use the Orbi in Router mode. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 16
Gellie
Aspirant

Thanks. Before I got your reply I disabled the Wi-Fi on the Fios router and enabled router mode and daisy chain on the Orbi. Seems to be working. Is this not optimal ?
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If the router portion of the FIOS router is running then your in a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. To help this, find the FIOS routers DMZ and input the IP address the Orbi router gets from the FIOS router into the FIOS routers DMZ. DMZ may also show as IP Pass-through or Exposed Host as well. 

If you only have one RBS placed, Daisy Chain should be disabled. It's only need if you have two or more RBS placed out in a line from the RBR. 

Message 4 of 16
Gellie
Aspirant

Thanks again. But I’m afraid what your asking me to do is a bit above my pay scale. Yes running 2 RBS. Maybe I should turn back on the Wi-Fi on the Fios and run Orbi in AP mode?
Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if thats easier, configure AP mode on the Orbi. Please disable ALL wifi radios on the FIOS router. 

YOu'll have to play with Daisy Chain. If you place the RBS in a star formation out from the RBR, then Daisy Chain can be disabled. IF the RBS are in a line out from the RBR, You can enable Daisy Chain. This tells the RBS to piggy back of the other. 

Message 6 of 16
Gellie
Aspirant

TY. How do I disable all Wi-Fi radios on he Fios? Didn’t I do that already by disabling Wi-Fi? I have the Orbi router on the basement level, on satellite on the first floor and one on the second floor. Obviously not in sight of each other. Should I disable the daisy chain?
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact the ISP for help in turning off the radios. Can do a seach on line to see if others have posted how to do that. 

Keep Daisy Chain enabled for now and see how the system works for you. 

Message 8 of 16
Gellie
Aspirant

Thanks. It looks like I just need to disable be Wi-Fi for the 2.4 & 5 ghz on the Fios.
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. You should be good to go after that. 

Message 10 of 16
Gellie
Aspirant

I’ll give it a shot when I get home. TY
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 16
Gellie
Aspirant

Ok so I think Im pretty much good to go. Orbi in AP mode with daisy chain on. What features or enhancements am I missing by not using router mode? Thanks.
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

The router of course, Traffic Meter, Circle and Armor security apps and access controls. 

Enjoy. 

Message 14 of 16
Gellie
Aspirant

Yes. But in terms of performance, speed ,distance is AP mode a compromise?

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

AP mode would have more performance as it woudn't have to process as much data as if it was in router mode. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7