Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.0.0.74 incredibly unstable

LHZ
Guide
Guide

Firmware 2.0.0.74 incredibly unstable

My Orbi system is practically unusable currently with v2.0.0.74 and 2 satellites. I cant watch an evening of streaming TV without the sateliitle disconnecting and becoming unusable. I have tried to disable the new daisy chaining, just as unstable using old method - tried to down grade software but it just auto-updates again - works fine on the downgrade version until a forced update... This is an incredibly annoying to have poor updates forced on us and this new feature clearly requires beta testing.

I just want my working 1.x version back.  Tried the forums advice to prevent the auto-update but eventually its overwritten.

Problem  I face probably stems from the fact my Roku is connected via hardwire into the satellite Orbi and not the central router - worked fine for 6 months on version 1.x but 2.x that seems impaired.  The communication back to the central router is severely compromised. Not impressed Netgear - pull this software release - its not primetime ready. Really quite unacceptable to have wifi this unstable.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
JMU1998
Luminary

Does anyone know or aware if a new Beta is available or new Firmware is in the works to be released? 

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Worth noting, for many users, 1.10.x up until 2.00.x was incredibly unstable.  What is working for many isn't working at all for others.

Message 3 of 5
DonM
Aspirant

I had some issues with stability, but it was because one of my satalites was not the latest firmware and the rest of the devices were. Once I fixed that I've been rock solid. I was hesitant to purchase because of all the stability complaints, but I guess I've lucked out. 

Message 4 of 5
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

I finally gave up on the Orbi and went with the EERO system, which (fingers crossed) works great and hopefully will continue to do so.  When the latest (2.0.0.74) software was released (after installing the EERO), I hooked up the Orbi to my EERO and through ethernet, upgrade the main and satellites to the new firmware.  From what I can tell, all seems to be working on the Orbi end.  But, I have not spent the time to hook up the Orbi as the main router and test it as a system.  I'm just trying to ensure that a stable system exists before handing it off to a friend - I don't want to pass on a system that won't work reliably.  The EERO is definitely working very well as a true mesh system, whereas the Orbi wasn't handling anything when I ditched it.  That said, it is possible that Netgear has fixed things - I'm just not sure, as I've not had the opportunity to fully test it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7