Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.1.4.16 Troubles / Issues

22rich22
Tutor

Firmware 2.1.4.16 Troubles / Issues

Ever since my system upgraded to Firmware 2.1.4.16 last week, the Orbi router occasionally and without notice reboots (static magenta).  Just tonight it did it twice over a 3 hour period.  My system was quite stable before this upgrade, and now my family and I are very frustrated.  Yesterday I reset the router and my one satellite to factory settings with the hope that it would put me at an earlier version of the firmware, but to no avail.  I think even if I manually install a prior firmware version, it would automatically upgrade to 2.1.4.16.  I've read other boards where they seem to attribute this to Google (certain Google home devices can cause temporary WiFi outages), but we don't use any Google home devices.  All of our home devices are Apple.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the router rebooted fully? 

Try a full factory reset on the router as well and set up from scratch.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too? 

Message 2 of 12
22rich22
Tutor

Yes, I did a factory reset on the router and the satellite yesterday.  The modem is through Xfinity and it's a Cisco XB3.  We have phone, cable and internet and only the WiFi seems to be affected. 

It seems this evening I made the situation even worse.  I tried to downgrade the firmware on both the satellite and the router with the hope of resolving this issue.  It worked on the router, but I think the satellite is now "bricked."  It keeps flashing a white light (not pulsing, but flashing) and the reset button doesn't do anything no matter how long I hold it in, unplug it, hold it in again, etc. So I updated the firmware on the router back to 2.1.4.16, but the satellite is still totally unresponsive.  I tried calling Netgear Support this evening but hung up after being on hold for 30 minutes.  I guess I'll try again tomorrow evening.  This is incredibly frustrating for a system that has been basically troublefree since I bought it in May 2017.

Message 3 of 12
22rich22
Tutor

Continue to have problems with the Orbi router this morning.  In and out of WiFi -- very frustrating!  I rebooted the modem to see if that might help resolve the issue.  Satellite completely useless so I unplugged it.  I hope to reach Netgear support when I get home from work without waiting on hold for hours.  Fingers crossed.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 5 of 12
22rich22
Tutor

I don't have a modem combo unit. The modem is through Xfinity and it's a Cisco XB3. I have an Orbi router and a separate Orbi satellite. 

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 12
22rich22
Tutor

Yes, I believe it is (I'm not home right now).  I think what you're getting at is that the Xfinity modem also acts as a router and its signals may be conflicting with my Orbi router signals.  When I had the modem installed I made sure to have Xfinity turn off the router function so that it would only function as a modem, but it's possible that it got turned back on with an update.  Nothing would surprise me with Comcast!  I'll have to check when I get home. 

Message 8 of 12
22rich22
Tutor

@FURRYe38 I contacted Comcast and they confirmed that somehow my modem was in bridge mode AND was giving off a wifi signal.  Go figure.  They reconfigured and rebooted and confirmed no more signal.  Hopefully that will resolve my Orbi connectivity issue.  Fingers crossed! 

But I still have to deal with my brick of a satellite.  I opened a ticket with Netgear support and will contact them tonight.  They mentioned that if they can't bring my satellite back from the dead they will replace it.

Thank you so much for your help!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it figured out. Yes, be aware of CC modems they control. Seen other users mention that they had there modems bridged and wifi disabled, only to come back at a later date to find they were re-enabled and not bridged. You might consider getting into BYOM and get a stand alone modem to put in place of the ISPs modem. I believe CC supports customer owned modems.

Enjoy.

Message 10 of 12
22rich22
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38, if you have any modem recommendations I'll consider them. 

By the way, when I got home from work, my Comcast modem was back to sending a WiFi signal.  Apparenty they turned off the 5GB but not the 2.5GB signal!  So, before I contacted Netgear I had to work with Comcast to get my modem from sending a WiFi signal even though it was already in Bridge mode.

The one downside of this entire experience is that my satellite was, in fact, bricked and literally just weeks over Netgear's one year return policy.  So now I have to go out and buy another satellite.  For a system this expensive (over $300 when I purchased it in May 2017), I find that to be absurd, disappointing, and it leaves a bad taste about Netgear in general. 

I've come to really appreciate Apple customer service for just this reason - they would generally not refuse to replace an item with a hardware issue and would find a way to make the customer feel appreciated.  Not so with Netgear.  If I didn't already have the Orbi router, I'd shop another company.  @DarrenM or other moderators (if you work for Netgear) should heed this point.

Thank you for all your help.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What speed tier do you pay for with CC? Any future plans on getting 1Gb speeds in the near future or does that matter. Kind of depends on what your speeds are.

Netgear CM1000 or CM600
Arris SB6180 or SB8200. Avoid the SB6190 or any intel chipset based modem. There are bugs in that chipset.

Motorola MB7420 and MB8600

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7