Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear the web browser cache and or try a different browser. And if still missing, I would reflash llike @RocketSquirrel mentioned...

@Bullyterrier wrote:
Yes of course Furry. The option re admin is simply missing.

Message 26 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

Mine is wide open as well and I didnt update my firmware yet. When I logout and then login again on the web interface it logs right back in without asking for a password. Is this suppose to happen? Does it know my ip address and allow me into the site without the password or is this a bug? It seems like it should ask me for a password. It use to ask me everytime but now it doesnt. 

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 27 of 385

So, re my 40 having no admin security.

Factory reset brought back the password option but left the wireless admin page non responsive.

Manual download of the img files and manual update plus factory reset has resolved both.

So, flakey update issues remain.

Check your updated hardware carefully!
Message 28 of 385
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

What units is the update for ?
As none showing for my RBR40/RBW30
Message 29 of 385
BennieP
Aspirant

I have been having several issues with my devices (ring cameras, dell laptop, slow internet) and just found out the Orbi system updated before problems began. Please fix this soon!!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 30 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the Orbi system and set it up from scratch if the system was updated.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@BennieP wrote:
I have been having several issues with my devices (ring cameras, dell laptop, slow internet) and just found out the Orbi system updated before problems began. Please fix this soon!!

Message 31 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like this maybe a good process to update FW. Thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Bullyterrier wrote:
So, re my 40 having no admin security.

Factory reset brought back the password option but left the wireless admin page non responsive.

Manual download of the img files and manual update plus factory reset has resolved both.

So, flakey update issues remain.

Check your updated hardware carefully!

Message 32 of 385
xanderwong
Tutor

RBK40, my satelite now refuses to connect to the router immediately after the update. Restarting the satelite and pressing the sync buttons seems useless. Everytime when there's a new firmware, it makes my life difficult.

Message 33 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do that BullyTerrier did:

Manual download of the img files and manual update plus factory reset then setup from scratch. Use IE11 or FF browser to send the FW files.

@xanderwong wrote:

RBK40, my satelite now refuses to connect to the router immediately after the update. Restarting the satelite and pressing the sync buttons seems useless. Everytime when there's a new firmware, it makes my life difficult.

Message 34 of 385
xanderwong
Tutor

I have 16 different devices connected to Orbi, and if everytime the useless Netgear team decides to release a new firmware (which I cannot opt out or disable auto-update) and screws with my work, I am at their mercy. I am sick of this **bleep** every single time Netgear releases a firmware and things will go haywire.

With that aside, I really appreciate your advise @FURRYe38, but I cannot even access the satelite (sorry not router) now through the ethernet cable. I am experienced in manually updating and doing the entire firmware update cycle, but this time, the satelite seems to be dead/bricked. Any advise?

Message 35 of 385
deesto
Guide

Can't bloody downgrade it to .16 anymore! Everytime I have manually updated it to old FW, it automatically bumps it up 😮 😞

Also, please see my other threads in regards to having ANYTHING plugged in to its ethernet ports on start up/powering up. It will KILL all bandwidth as at least one of the units will think it is plugged in Wired mode, not 5G (I assume it is thinking that it is pairing up via Ethernet backhual mode?), but in reality, it is imposible for units to communicate with each other this way as anything i have plugged into ethernt port would not be creating a loop or extending the nwtork in anyway possible. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 36 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you reset the satellite by pressing the reset button on the satellite and wait for the top led to turn on amber, then let go. Then led should blink WHITE, then slowly pulsate WHITE? If you can get to this, this means the satellite can be re-added to the Router...Get it added wirelessly first, then if thats works, then connect a wired PC to the satellite and update manually then factory reset it once more and re-add it.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite

@xanderwong wrote:

I have 16 different devices connected to Orbi, and if everytime the useless Netgear team decides to release a new firmware (which I cannot opt out or disable auto-update) and screws with my work, I am at their mercy. I am sick of this **bleep** every single time Netgear releases a firmware and things will go haywire.

With that aside, I really appreciate your advise @FURRYe38, but I cannot even access the satelite (sorry not router) now through the ethernet cable. I am experienced in manually updating and doing the entire firmware update cycle, but this time, the satelite seems to be dead/bricked. Any advise?

Message 37 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do as BullyTerrier did:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@deesto wrote:

Can't bloody downgrade it to .16 anymore! Everytime I have manually updated it to old FW, it automatically bumps it up 😮 😞

Also, please see my other threads in regards to having ANYTHING plugged in to its ethernet ports on start up/powering up. It will KILL all bandwidth as at least one of the units will think it is plugged in Wired mode, not 5G (I assume it is thinking that it is pairing up via Ethernet backhual mode?), but in reality, it is imposible for units to communicate with each other this way as anything i have plugged into ethernt port would not be creating a loop or extending the nwtork in anyway possible. 

Message 38 of 385
stacks
Aspirant

I ran the speed test after upgrading the firmware. Upload speed went from 200 mbs to 900 mbs. Download stayed at around 650 mbs to 550mbs. The upload speed is close to maxxed since I have gigabit internet. I'm still sitting at about 50% theoretical max on the download speed but it's been faster than what else is out there. Wifi calls still get dropped when switching between the nodes repeatedly (pacing between rooms). Not sure how to deal with that besides not pacing. I run mine as an access point outside the dns. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 39 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Fast Roaming enabled or disable? Try the opposite of whats currently set.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33195-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33196-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33197-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming

What it roaming working before?

Was the system upated and you continued after the update? Or have you power cycled the Orbi system OFF for 1 minute then back on?

A factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed.

BullyTerrier mentioned this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Whats the mfr and model# of the ISP modem and or router your using with the Orib?

@stacks wrote:

I ran the speed test after upgrading the firmware. Upload speed went from 200 mbs to 900 mbs. Download stayed at around 650 mbs to 550mbs. The upload speed is close to maxxed since I have gigabit internet. I'm still sitting at about 50% theoretical max on the download speed but it's been faster than what else is out there. Wifi calls still get dropped when switching between the nodes repeatedly (pacing between rooms). Not sure how to deal with that besides not pacing. I run mine as an access point outside the dns. 

Message 40 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

My firmware updated automatically over night and everything seems to be working except that system doesn't know what kind of connection it has for anything connected to the satellites that is 5g. For all the devices that are connected to a satellite and have a 5g connection it says unknown for connection and the names of those devices are glitched and do not appear correctly. It shows this in the mobile app and the web interface. My satellites are connected wirelessy. Should I factory reset to fix this? I'm pretty sure someone else said that a factory reset did not fix the names and the connection types. 

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 41 of 385
ChristofR87
Aspirant

Hi guys,

RBK30 here. Got the V2.2.1.210 for RBR40 and the V2.2.1.204 for RBW30 yesterday. Factory reset both router and satellite after the update and re-configured from scratch. The backhaul status says “poor” while it was “good” with V2.1.4.16.

The satellite is close to the router and also the speed test and latency are both fine when connected to the satellite. I believe that the satellite is misreporting the connection status rather than having poor signal. Same through the app – the satellite’s colour on network map is orange rather than green.

Also tried to downgrade the satellite to V2.1.4.16 but, as mentioned above, by the time it connected to the network, immediately upgraded to V2.2.1.204. Apart from these, everything else seems to be working OK. 10 devices in total (both wired and Wi-Fi)

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 42 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@ChristofR87 wrote:

Hi guys,

RBK30 here. Got the V2.2.1.210 for RBR40 and the V2.2.1.204 for RBW30 yesterday. Factory reset both router and satellite after the update and re-configured from scratch. The backhaul status says “poor” while it was “good” with V2.1.4.16.

The satellite is close to the router and also the speed test and latency are both fine when connected to the satellite. I believe that the satellite is misreporting the connection status rather than having poor signal. Same through the app – the satellite’s colour on network map is orange rather than green.

Also tried to downgrade the satellite to V2.1.4.16 but, as mentioned above, by the time it connected to the network, immediately upgraded to V2.2.1.204. Apart from these, everything else seems to be working OK. 10 devices in total (both wired and Wi-Fi)

Message 43 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Heres what BullyTerrier did:

@Ryan1919 wrote:

My firmware updated automatically over night and everything seems to be working except that system doesn't know what kind of connection it has for anything connected to the satellites that is 5g. For all the devices that are connected to a satellite and have a 5g connection it says unknown for connection and the names of those devices are glitched and do not appear correctly. It shows this in the mobile app and the web interface. My satellites are connected wirelessy. Should I factory reset to fix this? I'm pretty sure someone else said that a factory reset did not fix the names and the connection types. 

Message 44 of 385
xanderwong
Tutor

I tried resetting just now. Managed to get the sateltile to reconnect. But after awhile, anything connected to the satelite would have no internet access. I will attempt the method u mentioned tomorrow, as it is night time here now and I need to rush some work. Thanks man. But seriously, I'm giving up on Netgear.

Message 45 of 385
ChristofR87
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for replying. They are both on the same floor, about 30 feet away. Plaster walls so nothing is blocking the signal. Backhaul status has been “good” since day 1 on V2.1.4.16 so I  think it’s related to the firmware since it’s started right after the upgrade.

Another thing I forgot to mention that makes me believe the satellite is misreporting, is the fact that when it connects to the router (both before and after the factory reset) it gets a solid blue light until the light goes away. Never saw, not even for a second the magenta-purple light.

Message 46 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Seems like just pushing FW isn't getting set right and seems like a manual update and factory reset is needed. Let us know how it turns out tomorrow. Good Night.

@xanderwong wrote:

I tried resetting just now. Managed to get the sateltile to reconnect. But after awhile, anything connected to the satelite would have no internet access. I will attempt the method u mentioned tomorrow, as it is night time here now and I need to rush some work. Thanks man. But seriously, I'm giving up on Netgear.

Message 47 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you move the RBW closer to the router? Say 5 feet? Just seeing if anything changes.

One thing you might do, is re-do the FW update like BullyTerrier did. He manually downloaded and installed the FW from files then factory reset and setup from scratch. However he doesn't have the RBW I believe so his system and configuration maybe different.

@ChristofR87 wrote:

Hi, thanks for replying. They are both on the same floor, about 30 feet away. Plaster walls so nothing is blocking the signal. Backhaul status has been “good” since day 1 on V2.1.4.16 so I  think it’s related to the firmware since it’s started right after the upgrade.

Another thing I forgot to mention that makes me believe the satellite is misreporting, is the fact that when it connects to the router (both before and after the factory reset) it gets a solid blue light until the light goes away. Never saw, not even for a second the magenta-purple light.

Message 48 of 385
ChristofR87
Aspirant

I'll try to move it closer to see if it will report "good". Regarding manual update, on Netgear's page for RBK30 it still lists V2.1.4.16 for both RBR40 and RBW30 as the latest firmware

Message 49 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, ok, they haven't posted the files for download yet. Dang.

@Christian_R

@ChristofR87 wrote:

I'll try to move it closer to see if it will report "good". Regarding manual update, on Netgear's page for RBK30 it still lists V2.1.4.16 for both RBR40 and RBW30 as the latest firmware

Message 50 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7