Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

@ChristineT

@Christian_R

@deesto wrote:

You are NOT getting it!

"Have you set up the wired mode from scratch by first adding the satellite via wireless, then once it's connected there, then connect the ethernet cable between the router and satellite, wait 5 minutes for the top led to turn on BLUE?"

I'm NOT trying to set up the Wired Mode! I want them to sync up 5G even if a network device (NAS!) is plugged in on a satellite! But satellite INSIST on starting up as wired mode even though it HAS synced in 5G, but shows incorrectly. THEN because of that, it kills ALL Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 17.36.47.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-04 at 16.47.58.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-04 at 16.19.51.pngwifi bandwidth 3fold.

ONLY WAY TO OVERCOME is to start them up WITHOUT any ethernet plugged at the back of ANY RBK53 unit, and then once all in 5G, then plug network devices. again, i insist, i am NOT trying to set them up in Ethernet backhaul AT ALL WHATSOEVER.

Message 76 of 385
rhett7660
Aspirant

This auto update is for the birds.  I am in the same boat with over 16 devices connected to my wifi and after this last go around of having to reset everything only to lose it again.  Last straw.  I can't return the items, but that didn't stop me from purchasing another sytsem all together.

Message 77 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Try what BullyTerrier did to see if it might help you. He downloaded the update files for his system. Manually applied them, factory reset the system and set up from scratch. Seemed to have helped him. 

@rhett7660 wrote:

This auto update is for the birds.  I am in the same boat with over 16 devices connected to my wifi and after this last go around of having to reset everything only to lose it again.  Last straw.  I can't return the items, but that didn't stop me from purchasing another sytsem all together.

Message 78 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

Also just noticed that the mobile app says that my 5g connected devices are connected to the router when in reality they are connected to a satellite. The web interface knows my 5g connected devices are connected to a satellite, but it just says connected to Orbi Satellite and not the name I gave the satellite. The mobile app and the web interface both say "unknown" for the connection type. 

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 79 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

Did he update the firmware first manually and then do a factory reset? Did he manually update the firmware again after the factory reset?

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 80 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Ryan1919 wrote:

Did he update the firmware first manually and then do a factory reset? Did he manually update the firmware again after the factory reset?

Message 81 of 385
tarxvf
Guide

Remote management stopped working after the upgrade to this software. This could be the issue in the latest version of the ios APP. I reported the same issue in the Beta Test also.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 82 of 385
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Furry is an automated bot, he is not a real person. The bot scans the post and provides an automated response.

@deesto wrote:

You are NOT getting it!

Message 83 of 385
Voodoo_ca
Aspirant

This is the second firmware update that has messed with my MacBook internet.
It connects to the router fine, but internet cannot get through.
Now I have to downgrade the firmware again.
How to I make sure this thing doesn’t auto update??
Message 84 of 385
BubbaDoug
Tutor

I just used the "Firmware Update" tab of the web UI to upgrade both Router and Satellite.  My router is in AP mode and I have ethernet backhaul.

No problems whatsoever and, as an added bonus, my zombie satellite finally disappeared from the network map.

No factory reset required!  I had a couple issues with the old firmware that I need to test and see if anything changed.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 85 of 385
sguser88
Initiate

My system firmware not auto-updated yet.

My current firmware (v2.1.4.16)  setup is stable and trouble-free. I definitely won't manually update it if I'm going to face the same setup problems that I had to go through during the initial setup (ie system was only successfully setup after multiple attempts of updating the firmware and installing the 3 lan-linked satellites in a very specific sequence).

Netgear should either improve the firmware update process or include a comprehensive setup guide with specific steps (for satellites using wireless and wired backhauls) to save us the headache.

Message 86 of 385
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@toe wrote:

Furry is an automated bot, he is not a real person. The bot scans the post and provides an automated response.

I knew it

Message 87 of 385
tkshaffer
Guide

Updated through the app...both router and satellite came right back up and everything seems to be running smoothly.
Message 88 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

So is Toe but he's a forum troll. Smiley Very Happy

@toe wrote:

Message 89 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried manually upating the system and then reset and set up from scratch?

@Bullyterrier says that worked for him:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Voodoo_ca wrote:
This is the second firmware update that has messed with my MacBook internet.
It connects to the router fine, but internet cannot get through.
Now I have to downgrade the firmware again.
How to I make sure this thing doesn’t auto update??

Message 90 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you got lucky. Glad yours is working well. Enjoy.

@BubbaDoug wrote:

I just used the "Firmware Update" tab of the web UI to upgrade both Router and Satellite.  My router is in AP mode and I have ethernet backhaul.

No problems whatsoever and, as an added bonus, my zombie satellite finally disappeared from the network map.

No factory reset required!  I had a couple issues with the old firmware that I need to test and see if anything changed.

Message 91 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

"If it's working, don't fix it."

Keep the manual update in mind should the auto update process not work for you.

Seems to work for others.

I agree, the FW update process needs major inprovements.

@sguser88 wrote:

My system firmware not auto-updated yet.

My current firmware (v2.1.4.16)  setup is stable and trouble-free. I definitely won't manually update it if I'm going to face the same setup problems that I had to go through during the initial setup (ie system was only successfully setup after multiple attempts of updating the firmware and installing the 3 lan-linked satellites in a very specific sequence).

Netgear should either improve the firmware update process or include a comprehensive setup guide with specific steps (for satellites using wireless and wired backhauls) to save us the headache.

Message 92 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

@tkshaffer wrote:
Updated through the app...both router and satellite came right back up and everything seems to be running smoothly.

Message 93 of 385
soundersfc
Apprentice

Just adding one data point here of mine that the update is working great for me. I updated through the web browser not the app.

I have a RBR50 and an RBS50 and both upgraded fine and kept my SSIDs separate which I need for the Orbi to work at my home.

Same throughput and everything so far, woohoo!

Message 94 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

@soundersfc wrote:

Just adding one data point here of mine that the update is working great for me. I updated through the web browser not the app.

I have a RBR50 and an RBS50 and both upgraded fine and kept my SSIDs separate which I need for the Orbi to work at my home.

Same throughput and everything so far, woohoo!

Message 95 of 385
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The way we use the word 'lucky' makes it sounds with the FW updates, unless you have luck on your side you're destined to fail.  

Message 96 of 385
Voodoo_ca
Aspirant

I didnt try anything yet.

I turned my computer on and found out I cant get on the NET.

After jacking with it for a bit, I remembered that I had this same thing happen on the last update.

I vaguely remember someone giving me the same idea last time... I think I downloaded firmware, plugged into the satelite, updated, etc. only to find the same problem.

It seems strange that something is messing with the internet connection on just my macbook - while the comptuer is connect to the WIFI fine.

PITA

Message 97 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you done a full factory reset on the router and satellite and set up from scratch after the update?

Can try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Changed the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

@Voodoo_ca wrote:

I didnt try anything yet.

I turned my computer on and found out I cant get on the NET.

After jacking with it for a bit, I remembered that I had this same thing happen on the last update.

I vaguely remember someone giving me the same idea last time... I think I downloaded firmware, plugged into the satelite, updated, etc. only to find the same problem.

It seems strange that something is messing with the internet connection on just my macbook - while the comptuer is connect to the WIFI fine.

PITA

Message 98 of 385
eljarviso
Luminary

Can anyone from netgear explain why a full factory reset is required everytime an update to the product occurs?  Never ever in my whole professional IT career have I EVER come across a product where a factory reset was required after a firmware update.

Message 99 of 385
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@eljarviso wrote:

Can anyone from netgear explain why a full factory reset is required everytime an update to the product occurs?  Never ever in my whole professional IT career have I EVER come across a product where a factory reset was required after a firmware update.

I'm all ears as well.  For me I don't think it is required (or it shouldn't be) as much as a last ditch effort on some offering 'straws' as solutions.

Message 100 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7