Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

Ryan1919
Tutor

Hey guys I found out why some of the names looked jacked up in the interface..For example my ipad was called Casey's Ipad but it was showing Casey#39' ipad or something close to that. It looks like if you take out the apostrophe in the name it will display correctly on the app and the web interface.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 101 of 385
cool2562
Star

I manually updated my satellites first then the router. How do I reset to factory defaults?
Message 102 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the web pages for the satellites and router or use the pin hole button on each unit. Press in the pin hole button until the top led turns on AMBER, then let go.

You can find the ERASE feature under Advanced Tab/Advanced/BackupSettings in the ui.

@cool2562 wrote:
I manually updated my satellites first then the router. How do I reset to factory defaults?

Message 103 of 385
Mrgoodall
Star

Used the Web interface, did checked the update all box, its did its thing by itself, worked automagically. took abnout 15 mins to fully update. I'm pleased.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 104 of 385
Skmzatl
Initiate

Did same used web interface and update all box. No issues so far in past 8 hours. 

Message 105 of 385
mbusby
Aspirant

Found out yesterday that the FW had been upgraded. Running as an access point. No problems so far.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 106 of 385
radamo
Apprentice

I also did the Web Interface "Update All"... All updated smoothly and so far no issues that I can see.

Message 107 of 385
esassaman
Tutor

For those of you completely scared out of your wits as I was after reading all the previous posts, sometimes it just works.

I did the update just now. It was surprisingly fast, only took a few minutes. It took a few additional minutes for the sattelite to reconnect (wired backhaul). All settings are exactly the same as before the update. All attached devices are there with the same names. Sattelite is good, got a solid ethernet connection. No resets, no reboots, nothing needed. Whew.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 108 of 385
Andy555
Aspirant

same for me. installed itself overnight-no issues at all in the morning. everything showing up as it should on sat and router. Router in router mode (not AP), and I'm not running ethernet backhaul.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 109 of 385
tdroz73
Tutor

This update is hell.  The previous version was nice and stable - why are we defaulted to auto-update?

Mine auto-updated in the middle of the night - woke up to intermittent internet.  Rebooted the router and it came back up - at 1/10th the normal speeds!  I have a gigabit connection and was getting 100mbps on WIRED connections - 40-60mpbs on Wifi.

I powered down the satelite and then restarted the router and rebooted the cable modem.  And waited what seemed like 5+ minutes.  Router now gives me gigabit speeds and regular wifi speeds 400-600mbps.

Haven't turned on the satelite yet...

I'm about ready to look for an alternative product.  I will no longer recommend this product to anyone who asks.

No factory reset because that's total BS.  I think that is purely coincidental that it corrects anything - likely because there's old settings in the config that don't get properly migrated during the update process.  When you go through this process and factory reset - all you're doing is hiding bugs from Netgear.  Make them find them and fix them!

Netgear - stop pushing beta software like this out.  I understand its a complex beast - but doing a factory reset to install clean software means you have **bleep**ty software engineering practices.  You can't both expect us to accept auto-updates AND require us to manually intervene for 30 minutes to factory reset or power refresh everything.

Message 110 of 385
cool2562
Star

My WiFi speeds are much slower now. My SkyBell doesn’t even work anymore. I will not recommend this product to anyone. At least give us the optiion or keeping the old firmware if the new one is giving us issues.
Message 111 of 385
tarxvf
Guide

Same here, skybell stopped working. Very frustrated. So i downgraded to the earlier firmware and that works great. Not sure when all this will be fixed. This is so much waste of time. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 112 of 385
cool2562
Star

When you downgrade, doesn’t it automatically update to the new one again? Is there a way I can stop it from updating?
Message 113 of 385
tarxvf
Guide

I had to downgrade a couple of times, first the router and then the satellites. Else they were automatically upgrading. For now it’s not auto upgraded since last night.
Message 114 of 385
tarxvf
Guide

Also REMOTE MANAGEMENT is broken on this firmware. I had logged in a ticket in the beta test also. 

Message 115 of 385
lbal
Apprentice

Circle issue still persists in this firmware where sites should be blocked but are not.

I have verified at https://www.brightcloud.com/tools/url-ip-lookup.php (API service that MyCircle uses for it's filtering/content) that the website in question is categorized correctly, and should align with the category one is trying to block via MyCircle. This is not the case and has allowed numerous sites through when it shouldn’t have with whichever category one chooses for blocking.
Message 116 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

Hello I decicded to reboot my system today to test something. Well like upon reboot the sattelites will reconnect blue at first and then go Magennta for a minute before going back to blue and it has been happening since this update. Since I had factory reseted it prior before and it happened then too I now knw for a fact that this update is a bit wacky. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 117 of 385
loomis1975
Luminary

As far as Circle, when I tried to use it, I found out that it doesn't work at all blocking almost anything if IPV6 is enabled.  Either does my Fingbox hardware solution.  I had to disable IPV6 on the Orbi Router to get any parental control.  If I do enable IPV6, I have to rely on Microsoft Family to block access, and that only works on Xbox One, Windows 10, and Android phones with the launcher app installed. Oh, Opendns filtering seems to work pretty well with IPV6 once you configure it, if you don't configure it for IPV6 filtering, it is a sieve just like Fingbox and Circle.

It would be cool if parental controls of almost any type could work with IPV6 on, since IPV6 is the future, but for now, I have to have it disabled to have some control over the home network.

Message 118 of 385
DudeDad
Apprentice

I did the "update all" from  my laptop....the satellites repored as "poor" reception.  Synced both...one still said poor.  I checked back an hour or so later and all is back to "good".  No other issues so far.

Message 119 of 385
Voodoo_ca
Aspirant

Ok, so I followed recomendations and tried resetting the system.

Factory reset on the satelite first, then installed the same new firmware.

Macbook connects find to the satelite and get internet - speedtest works but shows slower speeds.

Did the same thing with the main base - factory reset, then firmware install.

Still wont give my macbook internet.

Frustrating - why would it allow a wifi connection but not give internet?

If I walk closer to my satelite, the macbook changes wifi to it and gets internet fine.

HELP!!!??

Message 120 of 385
Cmax04
Aspirant

Same here.

@esassaman wrote:

For those of you completely scared out of your wits as I was after reading all the previous posts, sometimes it just works.

I did the update just now. It was surprisingly fast, only took a few minutes. It took a few additional minutes for the sattelite to reconnect (wired backhaul). All settings are exactly the same as before the update. All attached devices are there with the same names. Sattelite is good, got a solid ethernet connection. No resets, no reboots, nothing needed. Whew.

Message 121 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

Can you confirm that your 5g connected devices to a satellite are showing their connection type in the web interface and app. For example all my devices that are connected to 5g say unknown for the connection type in the web interface and mobile app.
Message 122 of 385
Bodini
Aspirant

Confirmed - RBR50 / RBS50 - Both devices show correct information for 2.4G and 5G. Wired backhaul and upgrade completed with no issues.

Message 123 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

Ok thanks!! I think the main difference between our setups is yours is wired backhual. My 5g connections show as unknown and it will just say Orbi Satellite instead of the custom name I gave my satellite. Very frustrating.
Message 124 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

@Ryan1919 wrote:
Ok thanks!! I think the main difference between our setups is yours is wired backhual. My 5g connections show as unknown and it will just say Orbi Satellite instead of the custom name I gave my satellite. Very frustrating.

Yeah mine are the same too, unknown which ticks me off a little, Hopefully Netgear is listening 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 125 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7