Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

Ryan1919
Tutor

Does yours say "orbi satellite" for connected orbi instead of the name you gave the satellite?

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 126 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

@Ryan1919 wrote:

Does yours say "orbi satellite" for connected orbi instead of the name you gave the satellite?

Yes

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 127 of 385
esassaman
Tutor

Confirmed, all names look correct for all 5g adn 2.4g connections to both base router and sattelite, both in web interface and mobile app (iOs).

Message 128 of 385
esassaman
Tutor

For me, I never named my sattelite, but I just named it now, and everything looks correct, all connections to sattelite show the new sattelite name.

Message 129 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

So thats weried its like this firmware update works for some people but for many others its not working. I had powercycled my stuff when it was doing the update for mine, so thats why I decided to factory reset the first time since I believe that reapplies and fixes the firmware right? Well at least for the internet part.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 130 of 385
FuzzyJohn
Tutor

As per Netgear's recommendation I proceeded to upgrade the satellite firmware first. While the satellite was upgrading the router decided to upgrade on its own automatically.

Netgear, why are you recommending the satellite upgrade first?

Netgear, why don't you guard against the router upgrading automatically while the user manually upgrades the satellite?

Netgear, if you recommend to upgrade the satellite first is the upgrade order respected when the user clicks Upgrade All?

After all upgrades completed both satellite and router show the new firmware. Now for the problems:

• One device, an iPhone 8 which normally connects to the satellite since most of the time is much closer to it than to the router, now shows in Attached Devices (router's web page) as connected to the router at 2.4GHz. But if I check the satellite's web page the same iPhone is connected to the satellite at 5GHz, connection type unknown. Same MAC address shown on both web pages.
  • Since version 2.1.4.10 I was having trouble with the logs emailing. I had initially set the log emailing when the logs are full but I would rarely get an email because apparently the logs were cleared before being emailed. Since I only upgraded to the current 2.2.1.210 version just  today I cannot yet verify that the log email problem is still preset. But I notice a new log problem: Since I performed the firmware upgrade the logs no longer show anything about DoS Attacks and other forms of attempts. They only show Admin Login, DHCP, Access Control and so events.

With my previous version, 2.1.4.16 the only problem I was aware of were the logs apparently getting cleared prematurely. Now add to it the issue with no longer logging intrusion attempts. Honestly the quality on Netgear's programming seems to suffer a lot, dragging their brand name into the gutter. Maybe it's time to fire the entire team in software development and hire more competent people. I know that operating systems like Windows or Mac have bugs when new versions are realeased but their number compared to the complexity of the project makes it more reasonable. Can you imagine if the monthly Windows update would be as buggy as the past several versions of Orbi firmware? Can you imagine Microsoft recommending that after you install the monthly update you hard reset Windows?

Come on, Netgear... for the sake of your current clients, for the sake of your future clients, for the sake of your brand name get serious.

Message 131 of 385
BarryTreg
Apprentice

I operate my Orbi in AP mode as router mode caused problems.

Just successfully updated to 2.2.1.21, still in AP mode. 

I'd prefer to use the Orbi in router mode and remove the DLink router. It's a pain to swap out router, so just wondering if anyone has seen router mode improvements in this version, or swapped back to router from AP mode? (info on what has been fixed is scarce).

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 132 of 385
Bodini
Aspirant

This RBR50/RBS50 operates in AP mode using wired backhaul and sits behind a pfsense router. DHCP, DNS, and NTP are provided by the pfsense router. I upgraded this via the IOS app and never ran into any of the issues others are having. I can't say which was upgraded first as I just let the app do the upgrade. Around 5 minutes later, everything was working again the were running the new firmware. The only other setting I've changed, besides AP mode, is to disable 'Daisy-Chain' under Advanced-tab -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Enable Daisy-Chain Topology. The wired backhaul wouldn't work correctly until this was done. Both the satalite and the router have retained the name I gave them which also matches the DNS provided by the pfsense router.

Message 133 of 385

Message 134 of 385
steve8411
Apprentice

and we made it 4 days and the iOS connection issues have returned. Smiley Frustrated

Ipad shows connected and no internet access until wifi cycled on Ipad....

2.3 anytime soon?

Message 135 of 385
Bodini
Aspirant

We have 6 IOSs devices on this RBR50/RBS50 AP system and I must say the wifi has been solid. Never a disconnect until we leave the house.

WIFI settings:

2.4 GHz Channel - Auto

5 GHz Channel - 48

Security Options - WPA2-PSK [AES]

IOS 12.0

Message 136 of 385
cool2562
Star

I downgraded my firmware and everything was working again and now it auto updated. Netgear is farmost the worst company I have dealt with. You call their customer service and they have no clue what you are talking about. Do they not test the firmware before releasing it? Charging $300+ for a router and don’t give you the option to turn off auto updates. Sorry I am frustrated, dealt with this for 2 hours yesterday just for it to autoupdate.
Message 137 of 385
LarryinNJ
Star

Saw the pending update on the app last night, and hoped that it would auto-update before I left town for the week.  Otherwise, I would have done it this morning, rather than risk an outage/issues for my wife/kids while on a business trip.  Appears that the system updated around 7AM this morning, and other than a couple of duplicate names of wifi connected devices on the app, all appears to be running fine, I'd be curious to find a changelog.

Thankful I have no issues and hate the fact that I can't control when the updates happen.  Hopefully, this update remains as stable as the former one.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 138 of 385
Hawkmoth
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know if you apply the new FW and continue or if you factory reset the system and set up from scratch. Hopefully you can just update and continue, however if you seem to experience issue. Please try a factory reset if needed.

I need t reset to factory conditions and start over from scratch to get devices to switch to the satellite and also to stop showing the connection type as Unknown if they did show up on the statellite. All seems well now, though.

Message 139 of 385
Hawkmoth
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know if you apply the new FW and continue or if you factory reset the system and set up from scratch. Hopefully you can just update and continue, however if you seem to experience issue. Please try a factory reset if needed.

I need t reset to factory conditions and start over from scratch to get devices to switch to the satellite and also to stop showing the connection type as Unknown if they did show up on the statellite. All seems well now, though.

Message 140 of 385
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

My system went from good backhaul to poor on my two satellites when upgrading. I had on star connection. Tried several things (normal what one would do) to no avail. Change to daisy chain and now backhaul was good. Previously daily chain gave me poor backhaul and star good for all the time I have had Orbi (about 11 months). For some inexplicable reason, the system now works better on daisy chain.

Message 141 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the reset helped. Seems to be the norm for Orbi now days. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Hawkmoth wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 142 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@JoeCymru wrote:

My system went from good backhaul to poor on my two satellites when upgrading. I had on star connection. Tried several things (normal what one would do) to no avail. Change to daisy chain and now backhaul was good. Previously daily chain gave me poor backhaul and star good for all the time I have had Orbi (about 11 months). For some inexplicable reason, the system now works better on daisy chain.

Message 143 of 385
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Everybody (router, two satellites) is 33 to 34 feet apart. Nearly isosoles triangle. One leg with a couple of interior walls,other leg with minor obstructions.

Message 144 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the size of your home? SqFt? 

Any other wifi neghbors near by? 

What are speeds if you turn OFF the two satellites and test with just the router alone? 

@JoeCymru wrote:

Everybody (router, two satellites) is 33 to 34 feet apart. Nearly isosoles triangle. One leg with a couple of interior walls,other leg with minor obstructions.

Message 145 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

Today I manually updated the firmware on the router and satellites. After I did that I factory reset and setup from scratch. It didnt seem to help my situation. It seems like my devices will not connect to the 5g band even when sitting right next to the satellite. If and when they do switch my 5g devices will show as unknow connection type and it will not specify which satellite it's connected to. Every since the update my devices will not switch between the router and satellite on the 5g band. I've reduced the transmit power on both bnads but that doesnt seem to help.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 146 of 385
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38: House is single level about 2600 sq.ft.. I have neighbors but none of them are showing enough signal strength to interfer on 2.4GHz and I have channel select on auto ... and definitely not enough to interfer on 5GHz and those showing are not any close channel to where I am broadcasting.. It is just strange where before a star setup worked fine, but daisy chain would not. Now I get poor backhaul on the hub and spoke and good backhaul on daisy chain. I am seeing decent strength at the most critical satellite (the one closest to the TV, -45 to -50db at 10 ft.) but not quite as good as before, and all devices seem to be hooking up to the correct broadcast unit.

Message 147 of 385
soundersfc
Apprentice

I had the same issue on previous firmwares as well, the only way I could fix that was by changing the name of the 2.4 v.s 5G so that I could be more explicit with my IoT devices and making sure my phone and laptops connected to 5G.  There is a long form post that explains how to do this.

I did that last April when I bought this device and throughout the firmware upgrades it has been great and my upgrades have been great.

Before I was having a ton of quality issues with my IoT devices (security, camera, nest thermostat, etc.) but now having the dual bands seperated this has been the best wifi experience I've ever had.

Message 148 of 385
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38: Well, the strangeness is a bit compounded so now I have no idea what is going on. I took off daisy chain got poor backhaul again. Put it back on, got good backhaul. However, the attached devices on the UI says both satellites are connected to the router when the daisy chain in on. Off is on, on is off. Check the daisy chain box, after reboot, both satellites connect to router. Take it off, one satellite connects to the other.

Message 149 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, thats strange. After you updated FW, did you just apply and continue to use the system? Wondering if a full reset and set up from scratch would clear that issue or not. 

@Christian_R

@JoeCymru wrote:

@FURRYe38: Well, the strangeness is a bit compounded so now I have no idea what is going on. I took off daisy chain got poor backhaul again. Put it back on, got good backhaul. However, the attached devices on the UI says both satellites are connected to the router when the daisy chain in on. Off is on, on is off. Check the daisy chain box, after reboot, both satellites connect to router. Take it off, one satellite connects to the other.

Message 150 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7