Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FuzzyJohn
Tutor

Cable Modem: Arris SB6183.

Orbi: RBK50 (router + 1 satellite).

I did a manual update of the satellite first. While the satellite was updated the router decided to auto-update. The router was connected to the cable modem at the time of the auto-update.

Several days after the update to v2.2.1.210:

• iPhone connected to the satellite shows connection type as "unknown".
  • Problems with the logs:
    *  I have the email logs set to Daily. The logs are emailed but do not seem to clear after that as they did in the past. Next day the email will include the previous logs as well.
    *  Intrusion attems do not appear to be logged. Only Login, DHCP, Access Control, Email Sent and so on events are logged. No DoS Attacks.
  • As mentioned, I only have one satellite. My Daisy-Chain Topology is enabled and I do not seem to have connection problems.

Other than the above everything else seems to be normal so far.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 201 of 385
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

A bit more on the daisy chain issue. It is not exactly a reverse order experience. With daisy chain OFF, I get poor backhaul but the connetions are not in a daisy chain topology, but in the star topology (hub and spolke). With daisy chain ON, I get good backhaul but the system is also operating (it says) in the star topology.

With daisy chain off, satelites keep dropping in and out ... you can watch the graphed signal strength like an animated whack-a-mole. With daisy chain on (but still in star topology) the satelites stay relatively steady in signal strength. Also strange is when I resync the satelites with daisy chain off, the system initially shows backhaul is good for a few minutes, but then shifts to poor.

5GHz backhaul is at Ch 157 in both cases on my setup.

I am also getting the irritating icon flash on Attached Devices exactly every three seconds. which was not present before the update.

Message 202 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad it's working. Thanks for posting your information. You might try a manual update on the router portion, factory reset then setup from scratch and see if the highlights you mention still appear.

@FuzzyJohn wrote:

Cable Modem: Arris SB6183.

Orbi: RBK50 (router + 1 satellite).

I did a manual update of the satellite first. While the satellite was updated the router decided to auto-update. The router was connected to the cable modem at the time of the auto-update.

Several days after the update to v2.2.1.210:

• iPhone connected to the satellite shows connection type as "unknown".
  • Problems with the logs:
    *  I have the email logs set to Daily. The logs are emailed but do not seem to clear after that as they did in the past. Next day the email will include the previous logs as well.
    *  Intrusion attems do not appear to be logged. Only Login, DHCP, Access Control, Email Sent and so on events are logged. No DoS Attacks.
  • As mentioned, I only have one satellite. My Daisy-Chain Topology is enabled and I do not seem to have connection problems.

Other than the above everything else seems to be normal so far.

Message 203 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting more information. This is something NG support can use to pass on to engineering to look into.

@Christian_R

@JoeCymru wrote:

A bit more on the daisy chain issue. It is not exactly a reverse order experience. With daisy chain OFF, I get poor backhaul but the connetions are not in a daisy chain topology, but in the star topology (hub and spolke). With daisy chain ON, I get good backhaul but the system is also operating (it says) in the star topology.

With daisy chain off, satelites keep dropping in and out ... you can watch the graphed signal strength like an animated whack-a-mole. With daisy chain on (but still in star topology) the satelites stay relatively steady in signal strength. Also strange is when I resync the satelites with daisy chain off, the system initially shows backhaul is good for a few minutes, but then shifts to poor.

I am also getting the irritating icon flash on Attached Devices exactly every three seconds. which was not present before the update.

Message 204 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

Well I'll be, I enabled daisy chain and behold my devices are correctly showing which ones they are connected too. What an odd update. I still have the issue of the sattelites going magenta before going blue upon reboot but this time I think it was faster. Well lets see how my rbk23 will be today. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 205 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Ya, NG is looking into the behavior. I believe PINK will be seen before BLUE. As long as your getting BLUE then OFF, you should be good. Let it run for a while and see how it does.

@RedBatman89 wrote:

Well I'll be, I enabled daisy chain and behold my devices are correctly showing which ones they are connected too. What an odd update. I still have the issue of the sattelites going magenta before going blue upon reboot but this time I think it was faster. Well lets see how my rbk23 will be today. 

Message 206 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

I would just like to say that I'm thinking the same thing. My system stays in star topography even when daisy chain is enabled. I don't think it's reversed, but there is some kind of bug when it's disabled. If I have daisy chain disabled I still get good backhaul connection with my satellites, but my devices will never switch to the satellites when sitting right next to them, or least it shows in the admin section that there not connected. Also it will show unknown for the connection type for anything that is connected to a satellite on the 5g band and it will say connected to "Orbi Satellite" instead of the custom name I gave the satellite for 5g connected devices. Anything connected to the satellite on the 2.4g band will report correctly. Something else I noticed is that a link rate is displayed in the mobile app for devices connected to a satellite, but before the update the link rate would only show for devices connected to the router and not the satellite. 

So long story short is that everything on my systems works as expected when daisy chain is enabled even though my system is star topography. If I disable it I still get good backhaul connection, but my devices will never switch between router and satellite and if they do they will be reported as "unknown" in the admin section for connection type and show that they are connected to "Orbi Satellite" instead of my custom name I gave the satellite. You also mentioned that the screen flashes for attached devices every 3 seconds in the admin page, but mine was doing that even before the update.

@JoeCymru wrote:

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 207 of 385
tarxvf
Guide

@ekhalil I downgraded to the earlier version of 2.1.4.16 and everything was working as earlier. But as i read on other threads there are work arounds for the issues i reported. I will try and upgrade again today to see if all of those issue are resolved for me.

Issues which i reported:

1. Skybell stopped working

2. Remote Management stopped working

Message 208 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

@tcaprio stated the following will work to get your Skybell back online.

Please follow the instructions below to get the SkyBell back online:

- Press your SkyBell button in and hold it for about a minute. The LED will flash (rapid green>red and green>blue>YELLOW).
- Once you see the LED flash YELLOW, please release the SkyBell button.
- Within a minute, your SkyBell will be flashing red and green.

Once it is flashing red and green, select 'Add a new SkyBell' in your app and follow the on-screen instructions to re-sync your device until after you have selected your network. When asked to input your password, please select the "Advanced" at the top.

When syncing, you will need to use the advanced options within the SkyBell Application and enter the information below.

It will ask for the following:

-Password: This will be your WiFi password
-Keep it at WPA2
-IP Address: (see gateway first) Use the first three numbers from your default gateway and 201 for your 4th number (e.g. if your gateway is 192.168.1.x, use 192.168.1.201)
-Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
-Gateway: Use the number that follows "Default Gateway/Router" for your router/extender that you are using to connect the device (e.g. 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x, etc)
-DNS: 8.8.8.8

@tarxvf wrote:

@ekhalil I downgraded to the earlier version of 2.1.4.16 and everything was working as earlier. But as i read on other threads there are work arounds for the issues i reported. I will try and upgrade again today to see if all of those issue are resolved for me.

Issues which i reported:

Message 209 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try to download the files first and manually install the FW. Satellite first then router, then do a factory reset and setup from scratch:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Skybell issue maybe resolved here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649457...

@tarxvf wrote:

I downgraded to the earlier version of 2.1.4.16 and everything was working as earlier. But as i read on other threads there are work arounds for the issues i reported. I will try and upgrade again today to see if all of those issue are resolved for me.

Issues which i reported:

Message 210 of 385
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@ekhalil wrote:

I have wired backhaul and have too many wifi disconnects. My syystem is set as Router Mode?  
@SeaMonkey80 Are you on Router or AP Mode?

@ekhalil, I am running my system in AP mode behind an ASUS RT-AC88U, which has its wifi disabled.  It has been rock solid since switching to this setup on wired backhaul.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 211 of 385
cyberprashant
Luminary

i had 2 systems upgrade - the daisy chaining of the satellites seems to be working better.   One satellite far away is finally daisy chaining instead of before I would get "poor" signal strength. 

One 2.4 ghz device breadmaker seems to be no longer able to connect - tried many different resets and guest network.  Finally had to use an extender to get this device connected. 

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 212 of 385
MetaFuz
Aspirant

To disable firmware autoupdates, try this. I'm holding at V2.1.1.16. I check the forums every few months or so to check the pain level for an upgrade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/8ke43v/how_to_disable_autoupdate/

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 213 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Other have mentioned doing a manual install and factory reset works for them:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@MetaFuz wrote:

To disable firmware autoupdates, try this. I'm holding at V2.1.1.16. I check the forums every few months or so to check the pain level for an upgrade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/8ke43v/how_to_disable_autoupdate/

Message 214 of 385
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @clammerds,

That is a great question! Firmware 2.2.1.210 is the official release. We updated the official version number.

In addition, thank you for participating in the Orbi Beta Community as the feedback from the Beta Community has been very valuable.

Message 215 of 385
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @clammerds,

That is a great question! Firmware 2.2.1.210 is the official release. We updated the official version number.

In addition, thank you for participating in the Orbi Beta Community as the feedback from the Beta Community has been very valuable.

Message 216 of 385
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My firmware just updated last night, and like in the beta it disabled my wireless home alarm connected through RE926X-03-00 Flexible Bus WiFi Communicator. I posted a message in the beta forum that I had to roll back as I could not test further with this not working. 

It appears that maybe devices that had been connected with Wfi protected setup are not working.

I am somewhat disappointed that this caried forward into production code. 

Message 217 of 385
Ryan1919
Tutor

My speed has been throttling down every 5 days or so before the update from 217mbps to 40mbps. After the update my speed dropped 1 day after a reboot. Called Netgear and their sending me a new router. Only my router throttles down for devices connected wirelessly and my satellites are not affected. Anyone else experiencing these speed drops? A simple reboot fixes the problem but only temporarily. Seems this update made my speed throttling problem worse. 

Message 218 of 385
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm guessing that the reason they didn't release the final version to beta test is because the Netgear management team is incompetent. Every company does that first to give users a chance to see if the bugs they are concerned with are fixed. 

Lo and behold, they release the update with the exact same bug that I reported into the beta test. Really dissapointed in them.

Message 219 of 385
milk242
Tutor

My router updated last night and now my iPhone won't connect, when I try to connect to websites I get a certificate error that is pointing to routerlogin.net.  It only affects my iPhone from what I can tell.  No other devices, not my Apple TV's or cameras or TVs or computers.

I've turned off daisy chain and I would rather not hard reset the router.

Any fix for this BS issue?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 220 of 385
tarxvf
Guide

I am having issues enabling remote management after the upgrade, i reported this same issues in Beta testing also. Now after upgrade i have the same issue. Can someone have a look at this and suggest a way forward?

I dont want to reset my router after every firmware upgrade. Reboots OK, but Resetting a router everytime is just waste of time.  

Message 221 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Respond to your post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-remote-management-not-working/td-p/1649177/...

@tarxvf wrote:

I am having issues enabling remote management after the upgrade, i reported this same issues in Beta testing also. Now after upgrade i have the same issue. Can someone have a look at this and suggest a way forward?

I dont want to reset my router after every firmware upgrade. Reboots OK, but Resetting a router everytime is just waste of time.  

Message 222 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. If this fails, download the FW files to a wired PC and install them on the satellites first then the router, reset and setup from scratch.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@milk242 wrote:

My router updated last night and now my iPhone won't connect, when I try to connect to websites I get a certificate error that is pointing to routerlogin.net.  It only affects my iPhone from what I can tell.  No other devices, not my Apple TV's or cameras or TVs or computers.

I've turned off daisy chain and I would rather not hard reset the router.

Any fix for this BS issue?

Message 223 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you revert to v.16 and see if it still happens?

Let us know how the new system works for you...

@Ryan1919 wrote:

My speed has been throttling down every 5 days or so before the update from 217mbps to 40mbps. After the update my speed dropped 1 day after a reboot. Called Netgear and their sending me a new router. Only my router throttles down for devices connected wirelessly and my satellites are not affected. Anyone else experiencing these speed drops? A simple reboot fixes the problem but only temporarily. Seems this update made my speed throttling problem worse. 

Message 224 of 385
milk242
Tutor

Looks like the Orbi firmware screwed up the access control stuff. I had to turn it off to get my phone to work even though it said allowed.

My satellites used to all have Good connections, now one is Poor (RBW30). Coincidentally, it is the only one that didn't upgrade to this latest firmware.

Does Netgear even test?

Message 225 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7