Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and set up from scratch the set up Access Controls again from scratch...

@milk242 wrote:

Looks like the Orbi firmware screwed up the access control stuff. I had to turn it off to get my phone to work even though it said allowed.

My satellites used to all have Good connections, now one is Poor (RBW30). Coincidentally, it is the only one that didn't upgrade to this latest firmware.

Does Netgear even test?

Message 226 of 385
stacks
Aspirant

I'm more concerned with increasing my download speed to match my upload speeds. Downloads should be faster than uploads based on my connection. Any recommendations on that?

Message 227 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

What is your Speeds UP and Down that you pay for? 

What are the speeds your seeing when doing a wire connected PC test? 

Has a factory reset been performed on the router after the FW update and setup from scratch? Don't enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls initiallly. 

@stacks wrote:

I'm more concerned with increasing my download speed to match my upload speeds. Downloads should be faster than uploads based on my connection. Any recommendations on that?

Message 228 of 385
macrhino
Aspirant

I have been running 2.2.1.210 since Jan 18th. I am not sure it is the same as what was released in October. Is the october release really the same I was given so many months ago? 

I have issues with the connection dropping to many of the devices on the satellites. Backhaul connection shows "good" to both satellites. 

Checking connection speed (Wifi) from the RBR50 (Upstairs) shows 400+ mbps down and upstream at 48 mbps. Going to satellite A, I get about 26 down and 12 up. (Distance of RBS50 from RBR50 is about 50 feet and downstairs). 

Going to Satellite B at 40 feet and upstairs, I get about 6 mbps down and 2 up.

Ideas or suggestions would be helpful.  

RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System with second satellite. Modem is Netgear CM1000 with Gigabit internet from COMCAST.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 229 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, you've had v210 since January? Thats a long time for a beta. Smiley Frustrated

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

How was the beta installed? auto update or manually? You might try manually installing the newer files, start with the satellites then router. Then do a full factory reset on the entire system and setup from scratch. Possible some changed may have been included in this one that was released on Oct. 

@macrhino wrote:

I have been running 2.2.1.210 since Jan 18th. I am not sure it is the same as what was released in October. Is the october release really the same I was given so many months ago? 

I have issues with the connection dropping to many of the devices on the satellites. Backhaul connection shows "good" to both satellites. 

Checking connection speed (Wifi) from the RBR50 (Upstairs) shows 400+ mbps down and upstream at 48 mbps. Going to satellite A, I get about 26 down and 12 up. (Distance of RBS50 from RBR50 is about 50 feet and downstairs). 

Going to Satellite B at 40 feet and upstairs, I get about 6 mbps down and 2 up.

Ideas or suggestions would be helpful.  

RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System with second satellite. Modem is Netgear CM1000 with Gigabit internet from COMCAST.  

Message 230 of 385
macrhino
Aspirant

Yes a very long time. It was a long problem in my old house. I seems that Orbis and Metal roofs are not so compatible and it took me about a month of investigation to discover that. 

Daisychain is enabled. The Firmware was manually installed and sent by level 3 technical support back in Jan. Is there a link to the new beta? 

----RE:Try disabling the following and see:
----MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I will try and post. 

There are no neighbors with significant wifi interference although I run an EERO network side by side with the Orbis. (5 X EERO). The EEROs are locked on to Channel 1 in the 2.4GHz and are set to channel 36 on the 5GHz.. The. Orbis are on Channel 8 on the 2.4GHz and 48 on the 5 GHz. SEE attached map. 

BTW I am a network engineer that runs a company that makes Wireless internet access equipment. 

Message 231 of 385
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@macrhino wrote:

WHAT?! This seems impossible.  From what I can tell from the Netgear site, v2.1.2.18 was released Jan 17, so this was likely the FW you were running.  2.2.1.210 was just released, and it will probably address some of the issues you are having.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 232 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, wow. You can find the current one they released on there support site for the model Orbi you have. 

Does the Orbi show problems still if you turn OFF the EERO system? How close is the EERO system to the Orbi system? 

I would set the Orbi for channel 11 instead of 8. Since your other systems is on 1, 11 on the Orbi would be better. 

Ya, metal roofs aren't good for wifi. However inside the home shouldn't matter...

Message 233 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

Okay so after a day I can say that unknown connections can still happen. I have one roku upstairs that no matter what with daisy chain enabled or disabled it will cause an unkown connection. 

Fast roaming will also cause unkown connections. I'm having an issue were if I take my phone far away from another sattelite to the router or to another sattelite it will want to stay on the last connection it had. Meaning that going up and downstairs will make my phone not want connect to a more closser acess point. Same goes for laptops too. I would have to disconnect and then reconnect to make it connect to the closer access point even when I was standing right in front of the router or satellite it wouldn't do it automatically.

Which is why I had enabled fast roaming. I had it previusly disabled prior to this firmware since when I was in a area where two connections were strong the phone would fight over them. Plus previously on the older firmare  the phone or laptop would auto connect to the next acesss point no issue. But now I have to in order for it to auto connect and now with it enabled it will cause unkown connections when enabled so I had to switch it off again.

This is getting kind of annoying this firmware should have not been forced on us last week. The next firmeware needs to fix this or let us downgrade without having to worry about it updating again by disabling auto update.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 234 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

@Christian_R

@RedBatman89 wrote:

Okay so after a day I can say that unknown connections can still happen. I have one roku upstairs that no matter what with daisy chain enabled or disabled it will cause an unkown connection. 

Fast roaming will also cause unkown connections. I'm having an issue were if I take my phone far away from another sattelite to the router or to another sattelite it will want to stay on the last connection it had. Meaning that going up and downstairs will make my phone not want connect to a more closser acess point. Same goes for laptops too. I would have to disconnect and then reconnect to make it connect to the closer access point even when I was standing right in front of the router or satellite it wouldn't do it automatically.

Which is why I had enabled fast roaming. I had it previusly disabled prior to this firmware since when I was in a area where two connections were strong the phone would fight over them. Plus previously on the older firmare  the phone or laptop would auto connect to the next acesss point no issue. But now I have to in order for it to auto connect and now with it enabled it will cause unkown connections when enabled so I had to switch it off again.

This is getting kind of annoying this firmware should have not been forced on us last week. The next firmeware needs to fix this or let us downgrade without having to worry about it updating again by disabling auto update.

Message 235 of 385
macrhino
Aspirant

Well the January date i posted is not correct. I installed 2.2.0.30 on March the 2nd when I was doing the troublshooting for the level 3 guys at Netgear who was feeding me the updates on a two per week basis. I have not installed a firmware update since I moved so the 2.2.1.210 was the last provided to me sometime in March. 

I am wondering if the software is not the same as the 2.2.1.210 now available. 

But I moved to the present house (without metal roof) in the end of March. I have not installed a firmware update since I moved so the 2.2.1.210 was the last provided to me sometime in March. 

Message 236 of 385
macrhino
Aspirant

I had the channel set to channel 11 at the old house and the Netgear level guys wanted me to move to channel 8. 

The Netgear system is unaffected by the Eeros as far as we can tell. I did extensive testing with them both off and on. 

Where can I download the 2.2.1.210 software? 

Message 237 of 385
macrhino
Aspirant

The metal roof causes some pretty severe multipath problems with the Orbis. In my old house I got terrible performance of the Obis except for the outdoor connections. We worked on this for months taking readings and providing heatmaps of my home. 

I provided examples of the types of testing we did. We were never able to make the Orbis perform in the house with the metal roof. 

Message 238 of 385
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

netgear.com/support.  search for your orbi system. it should direct you to the download.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 239 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, 

You can find FW here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

I would manually download and install the FW to the satellites first, then the router. Factory reset everything and set up from scratch. You might do some testing with out the satellites first, then maybe test with just 1 satellite added...

I was wondering about the version you reported. I presumed that NG wouldn't have had v210 running in beta since then...

I would try channel 11 again. you might swap the EERO to channel 11 and Orbi to Channel 1 as well. 

@macrhino wrote:

I had the channel set to channel 11 at the old house and the Netgear level guys wanted me to move to channel 8. 

The Netgear system is unaffected by the Eeros as far as we can tell. I did extensive testing with them both off and on. 

Message 240 of 385
macrhino
Aspirant

Strangely enough, Eeros are locked on to channel 1. No way to change that. 

I am updating as we speak. The Orbis see the 2.2.1.210 as "the same" as what is already installed but I am doing a reinstall anyway. 

Message 241 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow no way to change the channel on EEROS huh? Thats not good. 

Ya, do a full manual install and reset. I would test with out the EEROS being On. Just test with the Orbi router alone, then add the satellite. Test wired first. Then wireless. Do not enable or touch the QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Control on the Orbi router after resetting it and setting it up...

Message 242 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

So any news orbi is going to fix this or can we be given an option to downgrade without the worry of an auto update?

Message 243 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doestn' give any time frames on when FW updates are forth coming. You can try the down grade...

@RedBatman89 wrote:

So any news orbi is going to fix this or can we be given an option to downgrade without the worry of an auto update?

Message 244 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

Issue with that is that it will auto update back to 2.2.1.210

Message 245 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably...

Message 246 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

Discovered new bug, apparently even when you have the diasy chain enabled you can still get it asa 2.4ghz or 5ghz connection but it will just say connected to orbi sattelite since when I enabled free roaming it starting doing that but however even with it disabled it can still happen. I just power cycled my modem and orbi system and it still happened.

Also Daisychain doesn't full go off since the sattelities will still connect to each. I had to turn of and on Daisychain three times before the sattelities just connected to the router.

I'm exausted now. The Gui just loves to mess with you in this firmware. Also someone already said it but Apple devices come up as unkown. I wish I didn't activate free roam.

Message 247 of 385
randomousity
Luminary

So, having read some of the complaints about others' experiences with 2.2.1.210, I opted not to manualy update it. As of yesterday, it had not updated, but when I checked today, it had. I'm having the same issue several others have complained of: connection types (5G, 2.4G, wired) displaying as "unknown" on both the "access control" and "atached devices" pages. All "unknown" devices are connected via the RBS50 satellite, though they do vary by connection type (some 5G, some 2.4G, and some wired). They all display normally if I log directly into the satellite web configuration page and look at the attached devices page there.

On "attached devices,"  (back on the RBR50 router) there's also an issue with the page constantly refreshing all the device icons, (like the RBS50 icon, as well as any I assigned manually to various connected devices), and network icons (5G, 2.4G, and wired icons indicating how a given device is connected) on roughly a 5-scond cycle.

I assume both the router and satellite rebooted overnight during the upgrade process, but I manually hard rebooted them, and the problems persist. They don't seem to be important problems, as all connected devices still seem to function properly, but it is annoying, and is something that should be fixed moving forward with future firmware versions.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 248 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

I would download the FW files and do a manual install and then factory reset and setup from scratch. Others have said this has worked well for them:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@randomousity wrote:

So, having read some of the complaints about others' experiences with 2.2.1.210, I opted not to manualy update it. As of yesterday, it had not updated, but when I checked today, it had. I'm having the same issue several others have complained of: connection types (5G, 2.4G, wired) displaying as "unknown" on both the "access control" and "atached devices" pages. All "unknown" devices are connected via the RBS50 satellite, though they do vary by connection type (some 5G, some 2.4G, and some wired). They all display normally if I log directly into the satellite web configuration page and look at the attached devices page there.

On "attached devices,"  (back on the RBR50 router) there's also an issue with the page constantly refreshing all the device icons, (like the RBS50 icon, as well as any I assigned manually to various connected devices), and network icons (5G, 2.4G, and wired icons indicating how a given device is connected) on roughly a 5-scond cycle.

I assume both the router and satellite rebooted overnight during the upgrade process, but I manually hard rebooted them, and the problems persist. They don't seem to be important problems, as all connected devices still seem to function properly, but it is annoying, and is something that should be fixed moving forward with future firmware versions.

Message 249 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

I know you must have been tired when you wrote this, however you may want to clairify and clean up this information. Kind of hard to fully understand what your trying to say...Will help those that will review this understand as well.

@ChristineT

@AmitR

@Christian_R

@RedBatman89 wrote:

Discovered new bug, apparently even when you have the diasy chain enabled you can still get it asa 2.4ghz or 5ghz connection but it will just say connected to orbi sattelite since when I enabled free roaming it starting doing that but however even with it disabled it can still happen. I just power cycled my modem and orbi system and it still happened.

Also Daisychain doesn't full go off since the sattelities will still connect to each. I had to turn of and on Daisychain three times before the sattelities just connected to the router.

I'm exausted now. The Gui just loves to mess with you in this firmware. Also someone already said it but Apple devices come up as unkown. I wish I didn't activate free roam.

Message 250 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7