Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Sonething to keep in mind. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Enjoy. 

@BleedingCash wrote:

I'm a new Orbi user.  Bought the RBK33.  Just installed it last night.  Initial setup went fine.  I manually downloaded the firmware (2.2.1.210) for my RBR40 router and the firmware (2.2.1.204) for my RBW30 satellites.  I only need to use 1 satellite at this time, so I set up the router and then the satellite with their stock firmwares and they were working.  Then I manually installed the firmware for the 1 satellite that is on and that went well, but then the router automatically updated itself, as well.  After that, I said, "Well, might as well power on the 2nd satellite and update that firmware too just to keep it up to date," so I powered that on and manually updated its firmware to 2.2.1.204, as well.

I've been working on the network for half a day today and haven't had any issues.

Thanks.

Message 301 of 385

Auto-update, conveniently while on a video conference for work. Glad I had my phone nearby and could tether.

Message 302 of 385
BleedingCash
Tutor

Hi @FURRYe38,

Thanks.  I'll have to keep that in mind when I go to use my 2nd satellite because I do want to use it in a daisy chain manner.  Therefore, according to what you've linked,assuming we're still on the 2.2.1.210 firmware at that time, I will want to uncheck the daisy chain box in order to turn it on.  Goofy.  Smiley Indifferent

Thanks again.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for posting.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Sonething to keep in mind. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Enjoy. 

@BleedingCash wrote:

I'm a new Orbi user.  Bought the RBK33.  Just installed it last night.  Initial setup went fine.  I manually downloaded the firmware (2.2.1.210) for my RBR40 router and the firmware (2.2.1.204) for my RBW30 satellites.  I only need to use 1 satellite at this time, so I set up the router and then the satellite with their stock firmwares and they were working.  Then I manually installed the firmware for the 1 satellite that is on and that went well, but then the router automatically updated itself, as well.  After that, I said, "Well, might as well power on the 2nd satellite and update that firmware too just to keep it up to date," so I powered that on and manually updated its firmware to 2.2.1.204, as well.

I've been working on the network for half a day today and haven't had any issues.

Thanks.

Message 303 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes its odd. NG is aware of the issue. Smiley Frustrated

@BleedingCash wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38,

Thanks.  I'll have to keep that in mind when I go to use my 2nd satellite because I do want to use it in a daisy chain manner.  Therefore, according to what you've linked,assuming we're still on the 2.2.1.210 firmware at that time, I will want to uncheck the daisy chain box in order to turn it on.  Goofy.  Smiley Indifferent

Thanks again.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Enjoy. 

@BleedingCash wrote:

Thanks.

Message 304 of 385
BleedingCash
Tutor

That's good to know.

Thanks.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes its odd. NG is aware of the issue. Smiley Frustrated

@BleedingCash wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38,

Thanks again.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Enjoy. 

@BleedingCash wrote:

Thanks.

Message 305 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 306 of 385
LycanChief
Star

After this upgrade, my download speed of any device connected using ethernet has drop. I am a 1G AT&T user and now if I am connected behind the AT&T router, everything is around 930Mbps download speed. If I go behind the Orbi, average is around 540Mbps. Something changes in this upgrade.... Any idea of what can be happening.

AT&T Router is in Passthrough mode!

Did a Factory Reset, this fix the Wi-Fi issues after the upgrade and the internet issue that had to refresh ISP lease to get everything working...?

This firmware has affected the unit and I really disappointed in NetGear Support... if you push a upgrade, must be tested, right now getting have of my internet speed and all the issues and problem after the upgrade... phone support must be 1yr.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 307 of 385
LycanChief
Star

Agree! This is affecting a lot of user, Specially people that work from home!

Message 308 of 385
LycanChief
Star

Downgrade to 2.1.4.16 and speed is back where it need to be!

Message 309 of 385
phobosbsd
Aspirant

how do you manage to downgrade ? Mine auto update to the latest firmware automatically after downgrading. 

Message 310 of 385
LycanChief
Star

Because all the issues, I did a Factory Reset... Downgrade the Router first...after that the satellite... if you do the satellite first, it will upgrade to the same version of the router if it is at the latest version...

Good luck

Message 311 of 385
LycanChief
Star

Here is how to diable AutoUpgrade:

To stop the Orbi from installing the updated firmware automatically follow the steps below.  

Perform these step after you downgraded the firmware to a prior release.

1) Launch your favorite web browser and go to <Router IP Address>/debug.htm

2) Login <username> <password> when prompted

3) Check Enable Telnet

4) Start a Telnet session.  I use Putty.  Enter the <Router IP Address> Telnet is using port 23

5) You can skip this step if you like.  I am calling it out for illustration purposes only...  

Type nvram show | grep auto_* <ENTER>

You will see a list similar to this:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep auto_
vpn_access_mode=auto
wl_auto_antenna=1
set_auto_agreement=0
orbi_auto_upgrade=1
ipv6_autoConfig_dns_assign=0
ipv6_autoConfig_dns1=
ipv6_autoConfig_dns2=
upnp_enable_autoScan=0
ipv6_auto_dns_assign=0
bas_auto_conn_flag=0
orbi_auto_upg=0
autofw_port0=
ipv6_auto_dns1=
ipv6_auto_dns2=
qos_auto_bandwidth=0
green_enable_autorefresh_status=0
enable_dev_auto_refresh=1
wl_rate=auto
auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1
root@RBR50:/# root@RBR50:/#

The 3 configurations highlighted above you will want to update the value from =1 to =0

orbi_auto_upgrade=1

auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1

6) To update run the following commands:

nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0  <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_update=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

7) Type the following commands to confirm the 3 configurations are set to =0

nvram show | grep orbi_auto_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_check_for_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_update <ENTER>

8) After you confirmed the 3 configuration values are set to =0 then type nvram commit <ENTER> (this step will save the changes)

9) Type exit to terminate the telnet session

10) Go back to the <Router IP Address>/debug.htm web page and uncheck Enable Telnet

Please note within a day or so the Orbi will know there is an updated firmware release available but it will not automatically install it.  If you do go back into a Telnet session after the Orbi knows there is an updated firmware release the configuration orbi_auto_upgrade will have a value greater than 1.  That is okay.  Do not change the value back to =0
Message 312 of 385
shok9
Aspirant

I have had this triband router and two satellites for 2 years but in the last few weeks it keeps dropping wifi connection to all my devices.  Everytime I reset the router wifi comes back for some time and then it drops again.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 313 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by reset? Power cycle OFF then back on or factory reset and setup from scratch? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@shok9 wrote:

I have had this triband router and two satellites for 2 years but in the last few weeks it keeps dropping wifi connection to all my devices.  Everytime I reset the router wifi comes back for some time and then it drops again.

Message 314 of 385
czar4you
Aspirant

Configuration:

(ISP) ROGERS 1GB -> (ROUTER/MODEM) CODA-4582U 2a -> ORBI

Problem: Unable to get stable 600mbit+ connection via CAT6e network cable when connected to ORBI. If connected directly to CODA-4582U 2a, then I get stable 950mbit+ speed is achieved.

For testing i have utilized fast.com & speedtest.net

Things attempted when troubleshooting:

1) Upgraded to latest firmware V2.2.1.210 and performed factory reset. (NO DIFFERENCE)

2) Downgraded firmware to V2.1.2.18 and factory reset (No difference)

3) Modified CODA-4582U 2a settings from bridge mode to router, and Orbi as Access point. (with this method i wanted to minimize the load on orbi with firewall, dhcp and other items disabled) (NO DIFFERENCE)

4) Disabled IPV6 on CODA-4582U 2a (NO DIFFERENCE)

5) Introduced cisco switch in between CODA-4582U 2a and orbi (NO DIFFERENCE) 6) QoS page seems broken/not designed for newer version of bootstrap/css/html. I attempted to delete all, /QOS_rule.htm, enable/disable via http://orbilogin.com/QOS_main.htm (NO DIFFERENCE)

Message 315 of 385
Kalotay
Tutor

My orbi was flawless for a year. The automatic download of the latest firmware update has disabled my RBS50 satellite . It is now intermittent; mostly unopened. Will the next firmware upgrade fix whatever is wrong, when will that be, is it worth the wait or are there other solutions?
Message 316 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by disabled the satellite?

Was the satellites FW updated as well? 

Has a factory reset been performed after the update and setup from scratch? 

When re-syncing, is the satellite blicking LED colors on top. Do you ever see BLUE on top? 

NG doesn't give out dates on when FW is forth coming. 

@Kalotay wrote:
My orbi was flawless for a year. The automatic download of the latest firmware update has disabled my RBS50 satellite . It is now intermittent; mostly unopened. Will the next firmware upgrade fix whatever is wrong, when will that be, is it worth the wait or are there other solutions?

Message 317 of 385
DigitalHotdog
Aspirant

My Orbi router (with 2 satellites) had been rock solid up until firmware 2.2.1.210. Now the satellite in the basement refuses to connect to the satellite in the living room (one level up). Instead, it insists on connecting 3 levels up to the loft, which is where the router is. Enabling daisy-chain topology isn't providing consistent results. Normally I have it enabled, but I'm getting various from my backhaul regardless of what it's set to.

Message 318 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@DigitalHotdog wrote:

My Orbi router (with 2 satellites) had been rock solid up until firmware 2.2.1.210. Now the satellite in the basement refuses to connect to the satellite in the living room (one level up). Instead, it insists on connecting 3 levels up to the loft, which is where the router is. Enabling daisy-chain topology isn't providing consistent results. Normally I have it enabled, but I'm getting various from my backhaul regardless of what it's set to.

Message 319 of 385
Davenlei
Guide

So I performed the command line updates to the router and the satellite and confirmed the auto update and other setting were set to not check or update.
Well a couple days later, my router and satellite are updated to the latest bad firmware again. So now my satellite keeps disconnecting and my reliability sucks again.
Message 320 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried a manual FW update using v210 to the satellite and then router, then do a factory reset and then setup from scratch? 

@Davenlei wrote:
So I performed the command line updates to the router and the satellite and confirmed the auto update and other setting were set to not check or update.
Well a couple days later, my router and satellite are updated to the latest bad firmware again. So now my satellite keeps disconnecting and my reliability sucks again.

Message 321 of 385
Korath
Guide

Another very unhappy user on x.210

Since the update my satalitte has been disconnecting multiple times an hour, no settings have changed but did notice that someone metioned the daisy chain option might be bugged and swapped so turned it on but no difference. Full reset and re-config... still happening.

What good is a really expensive piece of networking kit if they allow such buggy firmware to be released (and/or not officially allow us to stop updates!). At least make a statement, give us an idea of if there is a fix in the works or roll back the damn firmware!

Message 322 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Korath wrote:

Another very unhappy user on x.210

Since the update my satalitte has been disconnecting multiple times an hour, no settings have changed but did notice that someone metioned the daisy chain option might be bugged and swapped so turned it on but no difference. Full reset and re-config... still happening.

What good is a really expensive piece of networking kit if they allow such buggy firmware to be released (and/or not officially allow us to stop updates!). At least make a statement, give us an idea of if there is a fix in the works or roll back the damn firmware!

Message 323 of 385
Kalotay
Tutor

I fully agree. Their product is expensive, their forced updates are flawed and their support is non existent. Time for class action??
Message 324 of 385
Korath
Guide

@Kalotay wrote:
I fully agree. Their product is expensive, their forced updates are flawed and their support is non existent. Time for class action??

I don't want £2 from a class action, I just want a set and forget internet router that I don't have to spend hours diagnosing/trawling the internet everytime they push an update! Sigh.

Message 325 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7