Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

YOu might try the manual FW file load and then factory reset and setup from scratch. Others have said this has worked for them and have working systems on v210. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK40-Download-Speed-Slows-Down-After-5-Days/m-p/1643475/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-2-1-3-4-in-auto-update/m-p/1553979/highlight/true#M28616
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-RBS50-Not-Connecting-via-Ethernet/m-p/1556692/h...
Roomba: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-amp-the-new-Roomba-i7-connectivity/m-p/1655054/highlight/...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@Computer_Slave wrote:

Thanks for your clarification.  Airport Extreme does not have Ethernet backhaul but it least several Airport Extreme devices can be linked together either by ethernet cable (apparently no drop in speed through HP 48-port Gb switch) or WiFi (50% drop in speed) to provide a stable yet slower home network. But the latest firmware (2.2.1.210) of RBK53 is so unstable that it is not useable at all.  Firmware 2.1.4.16 is better but there is no option for a user to disable the firmware auto-update.  Now the RBK53 was put aside next to my Airport Extreme devices to wait for bugs fix!

Message 351 of 385
BleedingCash
Tutor

It's interesting.  I was thinking about all the problems that people seem to be having with the v210 firmware and then there are the silent group that have no problems whatsoever.  I'm assuming the hardware is the same between users of the same models, provided NetGear didn't actually make physical design changes along the way without telling anyone, which is probably unlikely.  So the differences from user to user would likely be the modem they use, the physical devices they have connected to the ethernet ports, the physical setup of the Orbi system, and then the software configuration setup.  I'm wondering if, when people are doing a hard reset, they're willing to try to take everything they can "back to basics"?  No backhaul, not ethernet cabled devices, no custom software configurations, etc.  That would just leave them with only the modem that could differ from others that don't have problems using the same firmware and the same model of Orbi.

Message 352 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

From what i've seen and others haven seen, some of the issues surround the auto update feature. Users have expressed that they systems have been working up to the point where the autoupdate happens, then everything starts failing. Even with prior v.16 FW, users said there systems were working until the autoupdate happens. I've had users do the factory reset and setup from scratch or the FW manual file load and setup from scratch, the ones that are willing, and they have expressed that they were able to get there systems running again. 

There have been other considerations, like modem router combo units, satatelite placement and some feature settings with in the Orbi system that seems to help. Daisy chain seems to be having problems right now on v210. Some have expressed that it's not working write or works in reverse enable disable in the UI. 

Reason why I ask what modem users have. 

Some have said there may have been subtle HW changes however we'll probably not really know. Some say older Orbi seem more problematic than more recent ones bought off the shelf. 

@BleedingCash wrote:

It's interesting.  I was thinking about all the problems that people seem to be having with the v210 firmware and then there are the silent group that have no problems whatsoever.  I'm assuming the hardware is the same between users of the same models, provided NetGear didn't actually make physical design changes along the way without telling anyone, which is probably unlikely.  So the differences from user to user would likely be the modem they use, the physical devices they have connected to the ethernet ports, the physical setup of the Orbi system, and then the software configuration setup.  I'm wondering if, when people are doing a hard reset, they're willing to try to take everything they can "back to basics"?  No backhaul, not ethernet cabled devices, no custom software configurations, etc.  That would just leave them with only the modem that could differ from others that don't have problems using the same firmware and the same model of Orbi.

Message 353 of 385
madhatter
Apprentice

so, does the wired backhaul work any better now?

Message 354 of 385
madhatter
Apprentice

the reset requirement has been there since, probably, the first netgear router ever made.  It's because of bad programmers that can't read the existing configuration and properly convert it to the new firmware's configuration structure, I believe.

Thank goodness I read this thread.  I was going to buy 2 sets of Orbi's today, and I don't need the aggravation y'all pioneers are going through.

Message 355 of 385
JMU1998
Luminary

Is a new Beta Firmware coming soon to address the stability and lingering issues ?

Message 356 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

NG does post when new FW is forth coming. You'll just need to keep an eye on the support site or here in the forums. 

@JMU1998 wrote:

Is a new Beta Firmware coming soon to address the stability and lingering issues ?

Message 357 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Wired back haul has been working since v16. 

Most of the issues are surrounding setup and use of managed switches, mainly IGMP protocols. If thats disabled, Orbi wired back haul works fine. Non managed switches are preferred. Also switches that have GREEN ethernet features also don't play well with Orbi. Sonos devices also wreak havoc on Orbi system too. 

There is a process to set up up wired backhaul. Once it's up and running. it works well. 

Been up and running since day one with ZERO issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@madhatter wrote:

so, does the wired backhaul work any better now?

Message 358 of 385
madhatter
Apprentice

thanks for the info, I was unaware of any problems with switches.  I have 5 unmanaged switches, and all but 1 have some sort of energy savings.  I have never even thought about that since the switches just work.  The way I have my setup right now is an R6300v1 with 1 LAN port in use going to switch#1.  All of the other switches are fed from switch#1.  So, if I get an Orbi, my plan would be to simply swap out the R6300v1 with the Orbi router, plug that switch#1 into the Orbi and continue working the way it is today.

If there's a problem with switches, what kind of problems would I see with the 35 devices I have connected into my switches?

Message 359 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

May see satellites not connecting via wired back haul or odd problems with netoworking loops or ARM broadcast storms that may cause the system to go down or see devices not able to access the internet. 

Orbi seems sensitive to these Green Ethernet featured switches. You can try them out and see how it goes. I prefer non Green Ethernet switches. Not really savinging anything and has more potentical to cause problems and something else you have to troubleshoot. Switches should be easy for the most part. Just use good non managed non green ethernet switches and you'll be fine. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/switching-requirements-for-ethernet-backhaul/m-p/1653718/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ready-to-chuck-this-system-through-the-window/m-p/1658470/high...

@madhatter wrote:

thanks for the info, I was unaware of any problems with switches.  I have 5 unmanaged switches, and all but 1 have some sort of energy savings.  I have never even thought about that since the switches just work.  The way I have my setup right now is an R6300v1 with 1 LAN port in use going to switch#1.  All of the other switches are fed from switch#1.  So, if I get an Orbi, my plan would be to simply swap out the R6300v1 with the Orbi router, plug that switch#1 into the Orbi and continue working the way it is today.

If there's a problem with switches, what kind of problems would I see with the 35 devices I have connected into my switches?

Message 360 of 385
madhatter
Apprentice

thanks for the links. I didn't buy my switches because of the green features, but because of the cost/port.  What a mess, I have a mix of netgear. tp-link, and d-link switches.  I guess I can "try" an Orbi, but I really don't want to waste my time either.  Thanks again!

Message 361 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the models of the switches. Maybe I can help you determine what should work with the Orbi.

I use D-Link DGS 105 and 108 series. I also have a DGS-1100 managed that has IGMP disabled. I have a main HP 24port unmanaged switch. 

@madhatter wrote:

thanks for the links. I didn't buy my switches because of the green features, but because of the cost/port.  What a mess, I have a mix of netgear. tp-link, and d-link switches.  I guess I can "try" an Orbi, but I really don't want to waste my time either.  Thanks again!

Message 362 of 385
eljarviso
Luminary

I’d recommend skipping Orbi and going with something less finicky like an ubiquiti unifi access point (not the amplifi consumer APs). They’re cost effective and less prone to weird issues. When there are problems youll get real responses from real engineers in the forums.
Message 363 of 385
Kalotay
Tutor

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I tried many of them but could not fix the problem. Finally, I shelved my Orbis and bought three Xfinity pods and installed their newest router/modem. They work just fine and my family is happy again. The community is loaded with good will and experteese but the final responsibility for product quality and support belongs to the manufacturer not expert customers. Orbi and Netgear do not provide either. Stay away from both and tell your friends. 

Message 364 of 385
RedBatman89
Guide

Only issue with Xfinity is that thier Modem and Wifi isn't much better either. In many cases its worse.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 365 of 385
mdirrim
Aspirant

After applying t the 2.2.1.210 firmware update last October I have been unable to sync the satellites (RBS50) to the router (RBR50).

I have tried all of the suggestions that I could find in the community posts (resetting, manually updating the router, disabling daisy chain, moving the satellite closer, etc) but I still find myself where the router is working fine but I cannot get either of the 2 satellites to sync with the router.  After resetting they eventually go to magenta and shut off.

For the time being I am using just the router which leaves about 1/2 my house uncovered.

Any suggestions before I have to bite the bullet and look for a different product?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 366 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Both satellites are on the same version of FW as the router? 

If you take one satellite and factory reset it, Hold the reset button in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate and tahe the satellite to the same room as the router, pressing the sync button on the Router then satellite, it should go to Pink then show BLUE then the top led will turn OFF. 

Do you see any status on the connected devices for the satellites in the routers web page? 

@mdirrim wrote:

After applying t the 2.2.1.210 firmware update last October I have been unable to sync the satellites (RBS50) to the router (RBR50).

I have tried all of the suggestions that I could find in the community posts (resetting, manually updating the router, disabling daisy chain, moving the satellite closer, etc) but I still find myself where the router is working fine but I cannot get either of the 2 satellites to sync with the router.  After resetting they eventually go to magenta and shut off.

For the time being I am using just the router which leaves about 1/2 my house uncovered.

Any suggestions before I have to bite the bullet and look for a different product?

Message 367 of 385
mdirrim
Aspirant

The ISP gateway is ATT BGW210-700.

My house is about 2500 sq ft but I am doing this with the satellite and router in the same room.

On the previous release it had worked fine with both satellites far away from the router.

I believe that the router and satellites are all on .210 based on what is reported in the admin page.

However, since I am not getting a sync I don't see a way to verify this.

When I followed the reset instructions, I assume that the 'amber' light you are referring to is the one next to the power button not the light on the top of the satellite.  When I follow the sync instructions I do not see the Pink light on the top - I just see the light on the top of the satellite go from a solid which to a pulsating white and eventually to magenta, it does not go to Pink.

I am doing this with only one satellite with the other powered off.

Message 368 of 385
Kalotay
Tutor

Surely, Netgear monitors this community and is aware of our issues. It is amazing that they chose not to jump in with a clarifying explanation or suggestions. This is NOT the kind of support customers expect. The community has only one choice: abandon ORBI. That is what I did. My new xfinity wifi works well enough. So long Netgear. You suck!

Message 369 of 385
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset the satellite using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then hit the sync button the router then on the satellite. The top led should go PINK, then BLUE after a period of time. Then got out. If this still fails, you may need to reset the router as well and set up from scratch...

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@mdirrim wrote:

The ISP gateway is ATT BGW210-700.

My house is about 2500 sq ft but I am doing this with the satellite and router in the same room.

On the previous release it had worked fine with both satellites far away from the router.

I believe that the router and satellites are all on .210 based on what is reported in the admin page.

However, since I am not getting a sync I don't see a way to verify this.

When I followed the reset instructions, I assume that the 'amber' light you are referring to is the one next to the power button not the light on the top of the satellite.  When I follow the sync instructions I do not see the Pink light on the top - I just see the light on the top of the satellite go from a solid which to a pulsating white and eventually to magenta, it does not go to Pink.

I am doing this with only one satellite with the other powered off.

Message 370 of 385
Loungepuppy
Aspirant

Since upgrade to 2.2.1.220 orbi loses internet connection 2-7 times/day. This is a new problem for me.
In status, using renew lease fixed it in about 5 secs.
Someone mentioned Circle causing problems. Also, I have 3 Sonos devices.
I did the update from the app, not manually via wire.
Should I disable circle?
Wait for next update...
Message 371 of 385
ekhalil
Master

How are your Sonos connected to Orbi, wired or wireless?
Message 372 of 385
Loungepuppy
Aspirant

The Sonos devices are connected by wifi.
Message 373 of 385
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Yes, I would try to disable Circle and see what that does for you.  I have yet to hear of anyone saying it actually works correctly on this version (i.e. no negative effects on the network as a whole).

Message 374 of 385
ekhalil
Master

@Jeremyinsf wrote:

Yes, I would try to disable Circle and see what that does for you.  I have yet to hear of anyone saying it actually works correctly on this version (i.e. no negative effects on the network as a whole).

Circle works perfectly well for me.

@Loungepuppy, what wired devices do you have? Do you have wired or wireless backhaul? Please describe your setup so we can try to help you. Thanks

Message 375 of 385
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7