Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware 2.3.1.60 Disabled Ethernet Connected Devices

cgfsd
Aspirant

Firmware 2.3.1.60 Disabled Ethernet Connected Devices

I recently upgraded to v2.3.1.60 on my Orbi RBR50 and I lost all of my Ethernet connected devices.

All connections show green and show activity, but the Orbi does not show anything is connected to Ethernet.

I have made no other changes other than the firmware and everything was working perfect before the firmware update.
I have rebooted the Orbi unit twice to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.1.60 Disabled Ethernet Connected Devices

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. 

What LAN devices do you have connected to the RBR? 

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@cgfsd wrote:

I recently upgraded to v2.3.1.60 on my Orbi RBR50 and I lost all of my Ethernet connected devices.

All connections show green and show activity, but the Orbi does not show anything is connected to Ethernet.

To clarify:  "show green and show activity" refers to (a) the Orbi web interface or (b) the Orbi "app"?

Do the wired devices function, and the question is why they do not show as connected, or do they actually not function?

Message 3 of 13
cgfsd
Aspirant

ISP and wireless are working perfect, so techncally the ethernet port to the modem is working, the rest are not.

I have connected all sorts of devices via the ethernet, NAS, XBOX, TVs, Laptops, about 8 other devices all suddenly dissapeared.

Message 4 of 13
cgfsd
Aspirant

Activity with the green blinking lights on the ethernet connection itself.  All devices are working, the only change is the firmware.

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@cgfsd wrote:

Activity with the green blinking lights on the ethernet connection itself.  All devices are working, the only change is the firmware.

What happens when one of the devices is powered off and back on?  Does the device report getting an IP address from the Orbi after restart?

Message 6 of 13
cgfsd
Aspirant

When I reboot a device it says no internet connection and does not get an IP address from the Orbi.

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@cgfsd wrote:

When I reboot a device it says no internet connection and does not get an IP address from the Orbi.

And the WiFi connected devices are "just fine"?

Darn.  I wish the Orbi ethernet ports had activity LED's like switches and PC's do.

Sometimes, the Orbi just loses it's mind and the only thing left is to do a "factory reset".  This sucks big time if there are a lot of devices which have IP addresses assigned in the Advanced LAN Setup.

Message 8 of 13
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Had a similar issue when updating to v2.3.1.60. I had to do a factory reset of the satellites and router, then reconfigure the entire system from scratch. (I took screen shots of my configuration so I could replicate the whole thing.) One thing I've used from the beginning of my ORBI experience (almost 3 years) was to make IP address reservations for all my devices, wired and WiFi. This can be done via "Advanced" tab>"Setup">"LAN Setup". I also limit the number of IP addresses the ORBI will give out. (I use my devices+5 as a rule of thumb.)

The process can be lengthy and repetitive, but doing this while all the devices are disconnected/powered off solved my problem when I put everything back online. Been very stable and speedy since that time--about 2 months. One additional hint is the ORBI (for whatever reason) needs 15-20 minutes to "settle" and display correct information in the browser GUI. Be patient and methodical and you'll have all your devices back online. Keep us postedon the progress or if you have other questions. Good luck!

Message 9 of 13
cgfsd
Aspirant

Ok, so a Vulcan mind meld and factory reset sounds like the next course of action.

I dont have a complicated setup, just a lot of devices.

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

One other trick that I have used is to WAIT until after all of the device assignments have been made before defining the SSID.  i.e. leave the Orbi with the default SSID while doing the definitions.  That way, none of the devices will get connected and learn an IP that it different than the one I want it to have.  After all of the assignments have been made, then go back, set the SSID and password to what it should be, and restart.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to turn OFF ALL devices while doing the reset. Use just one PC and setup the RBR from scratch. Once thats done, turn on just 1 device at a time. Go in and set a IP address reservation ON the RBR for each device as you turn them on. They should get an IP address. 

Message 12 of 13
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Yep. I does suck to have to do this as I have 35+ devices. Took about 2 hours to do all the steps, i.e., turn off all the devices (except one wired iMac), factory reset the ORBIs, reboot, configure from scratch, power up the devices and reserve IP addresses. Good luck!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7