Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

red1ak
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  I get better service by turning off the RBS50 and just connecting to the primary RBR50, so frustrating.  Did you resolve your issue?  I feel like it started happening around the firmware update.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on both RBR and RBS? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain isn't needed for just one RBS, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@red1ak wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  I get better service by turning off the RBS50 and just connecting to the primary RBR50, so frustrating.  Did you resolve your issue?  I feel like it started happening around the firmware update.

Message 27 of 33
red1ak
Aspirant

Has a full factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on both RBR and RBS? 

I reflashed the RBS50 with the 2.3.5.30, and it was working fine for about 32 hours, and then started having the degraded performance again.  Pretty riduculous that resetting back to factory is the standard practice for fixing things after a basic firmware upgrade.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Just under 2000 sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Just over 30 ft.  Backhaul status reads good for for the satellite.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Lots of distance between myself and neighbors (only one other wifi is visibile).  2.4Ghz is set to Auto and 5Ghz is set to a clear channel, which is the same configuration I had on 2.2.1.212.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

I have not tried Beamforming or MIMO.  I'm wired into my satellite and I still randomly get degraded service.  I turn off the satellite and connect to the router while sitting right were my satellite is, and I get much better performance (though not quite as good as when the satellite is working).  WWM is enabled

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain isn't needed for just one RBS, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Armor, Circle, and Daisy Chain are all disabled.    I've rebooted the Router and Satellite many times, router always seems to be working fine, but the satellite is hit or miss.  If the satellite initially starts to work, it is only a matter of time until it goes into a degraded performance.

I'm going to revert to 2.2.1.212 to see if I have the same problems, which I never had before the upgrade.  If I still have the problems, I'll go back to 2.3.5.30 and do a factory reset, cause rebuilding my network config sounds like sooo much fun!  If it is related to a bad firmware, fine, but if it is a device failure, I am 13 days out of my warranty and it will be last netgear product I'll have ever purchased.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz anyways.

Beamforming should be enabled anyways. 

If the RBS is wired ethernet to the RBR, then Daisy Chain should be disabled. 

Is the RBS directly wired to the RBR or thru a LAN switch? 

@red1ak wrote:

I reflashed the RBS50 with the 2.3.5.30, and it was working fine for about 32 hours, and then started having the degraded performance again.  Pretty riduculous that resetting back to factory is the standard practice for fixing things after a basic firmware upgrade.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Just under 2000 sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Just over 30 ft.  Backhaul status reads good for for the satellite.

Lots of distance between myself and neighbors (only one other wifi is visibile).  2.4Ghz is set to Auto and 5Ghz is set to a clear channel, which is the same configuration I had on 2.2.1.212.

I have not tried Beamforming or MIMO.  I'm wired into my satellite and I still randomly get degraded service.  I turn off the satellite and connect to the router while sitting right were my satellite is, and I get much better performance (though not quite as good as when the satellite is working).  WWM is enabled

Armor, Circle, and Daisy Chain are all disabled.    I've rebooted the Router and Satellite many times, router always seems to be working fine, but the satellite is hit or miss.  If the satellite initially starts to work, it is only a matter of time until it goes into a degraded performance.

I'm going to revert to 2.2.1.212 to see if I have the same problems, which I never had before the upgrade.  If I still have the problems, I'll go back to 2.3.5.30 and do a factory reset, cause rebuilding my network config sounds like sooo much fun!  If it is related to a bad firmware, fine, but if it is a device failure, I am 13 days out of my warranty and it will be last netgear product I'll have ever purchased.

Message 29 of 33
red1ak
Aspirant

I'll enable beam forming, but still don't expect that to fix the issue.  My client computer is hard wired to the Satellite, and the satellite is using the wireless backhaul to the router.  Anything connected to the satellite suffers from a degraded connection when the satellite decides to go out.  If I want to fish wires through my wall, I'm sure that would resolve the issue too, but that's why I bought a mesh router . . .

My client device isn't using 2.4 Ghz, but I've updated that too.  Thanks for trying to help out.  

Message 30 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok, you mented wired with the RBS, I though it was wire connected with the RBR. Ok then. Give some of the suggestions a try. You can downgrade the RBS to v212 to see if that changes anything. 

As a test you might just place the RBS say 25 feet away and see if there is any difference as well. Just a a quick test.

Keep us posted. 

@red1ak wrote:

I'll enable beam forming, but still don't expect that to fix the issue.  My client computer is hard wired to the Satellite, and the satellite is using the wireless backhaul to the router.  Anything connected to the satellite suffers from a degraded connection when the satellite decides to go out.  If I want to fish wires through my wall, I'm sure that would resolve the issue too, but that's why I bought a mesh router . . .

My client device isn't using 2.4 Ghz, but I've updated that too.  Thanks for trying to help out.  

Message 31 of 33
Dfran1
Apprentice

I still have slower WiFi speeds on the satellite, I have had this for a few firmwares now, reset and setup from scratch has not fixed it.  Going back now also does not fix it, 

I have not tried moving the satellite closer to the router, but when I first used the orbi it worked great!!

now I don’t seem to have any problems using this with this problem.  But like I said I should not have this issue, also as I did not change locations of anything. 

All is working great with orbi except slower speed on satellite during Speedtest, maybe someday Netgear will fix this problem, I’m certainly under 30’ from router to satellite, I will try moving satellite closer one of these days but it should work at its current location, as it did until the firmware updates. 

Orbi is still the best router I have used to date. 

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS should be 30 feet or farther from the RBR, not closer.

Even have trying different FWs and resets and 30 feet or more distance, if the speeds at the RBS seem slow, possible that the RBS is faulty and needs to be replaced.

@Dfran1 wrote:

I still have slower WiFi speeds on the satellite, I have had this for a few firmwares now, reset and setup from scratch has not fixed it.  Going back now also does not fix it, 

I have not tried moving the satellite closer to the router, but when I first used the orbi it worked great!!

now I don’t seem to have any problems using this with this problem.  But like I said I should not have this issue, also as I did not change locations of anything. 

All is working great with orbi except slower speed on satellite during Speedtest, maybe someday Netgear will fix this problem, I’m certainly under 30’ from router to satellite, I will try moving satellite closer one of these days but it should work at its current location, as it did until the firmware updates. 

Orbi is still the best router I have used to date. 

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7