Reply

Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

rjantigua
Guide

Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

I see in another thread that people are upgrading their RBR50 routers to 2.3.5.30 with success.  I got the prompt on the Orbi app that this version was available for upgrade and I pushed the button to start the upgrades.  When completed, I saw that both satellites and router were upgraded to 2.3.5.30.  After a few min, the satellites were not connecting to the main router.  After spending a long time trying to debug the issue (restart the units, reset -- not to factory, etc.) I went to double-check the Netgear website to downgrade and saw the documented version for RBR50 is 2.3.1.60 on the product support page. I I also did a search and found that 2.3.5.30 was for the RBR40 model!

 

So what version should I be running??  I did eventually downgrade to 2.3.1.60 and got full use of my network again, so I'm a little disappointed if this upload push was in error for my device(s) model.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Hi @rjantigua

 

Were you able to update the firmware to 2.3.5.30? Firmware is already posted on our support site https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30

 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 33

All Replies
CrimpOn
Sensei

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

My RBR50 "found" this firmware update, which sort of indicates that it is indeed intended for the RBR50/RBS50 products.  And, my router and satellite both updated firmware successfully.

 

Sad to hear that your update was not successful.  And, to be honest, I was a bit surprised that Netgear did not conduct even a short beta release of this version.  They must have been overly confident.  It is also a good thing that the Orbi will not stubbornly "auto-update" every time the user tries to revert to an earlier version.

I love my Orbi.
Message 2 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Try a factory reset on the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Check the FW updates after checking to see if the RBS connect to the RBR. You might re-sync the RBS while in the same room as the RBR first, then if they connect, place them back at there remote locations. 

 

I had mine in the same room and used the auto updater to update, the update worked and system seems to be doing ok. 


@rjantigua wrote:

I see in another thread that people are upgrading their RBR50 routers to 2.3.5.30 with success.  I got the prompt on the Orbi app that this version was available for upgrade and I pushed the button to start the upgrades.  When completed, I saw that both satellites and router were upgraded to 2.3.5.30.  After a few min, the satellites were not connecting to the main router.  After spending a long time trying to debug the issue (restart the units, reset -- not to factory, etc.) I went to double-check the Netgear website to downgrade and saw the documented version for RBR50 is 2.3.1.60 on the product support page. I I also did a search and found that 2.3.5.30 was for the RBR40 model!

 

So what version should I be running??  I did eventually downgrade to 2.3.1.60 and got full use of my network again, so I'm a little disappointed if this upload push was in error for my device(s) model.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 3 of 33
rjantigua
Guide

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

I still don't understand why the website has 2.3.1.60 as the latest version to use with RBR50, while a search on 2.3.5.30 shows that it's to be used with RBR40. I understand that it will work with my model, but to me if something happens to the device, all the company support team has to say is that the version is unsupported. Can anyone point me to a page or info that says 2.3.5.30 is supported on model RBR50/RBS50??
Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Don't be confused. NG sometimes pushes FW to Orbis for users to install if they wish before posting on the support download page. The support page seems to be last that gets updated. 


This version if valid for the 50 series Orbi. Its install and IS running on my RBK50 system. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 5 of 33
Nick_Wilson
Aspirant

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

I seem to be having frequent disconnects on iOS as well as Android devices. It seems to revert to using cellular which isn't right. I haven't noticed issues on other devices on my network, but since I upgraded to v2.3.5.30 on both the router and satellite I've been having these types of issues. I am debating to do a factory reset and restart with the v2.3.1.60 firmware instead and leave this one till it's been proven to be more stable. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Please make a new post and we'll help you out. 

Try a factory reset with v30 loaded and setup form scratch. IF this still fails, post a new post and we'll make some suggestions. Or post here about your experiences with v30:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Firmware-2-3-5-30/td-p/1773214/jump-to/first-unread-messag...

 

V30 is working here for me with my iPhones and Android devices using v30. 


@Nick_Wilson wrote:

I seem to be having frequent disconnects on iOS as well as Android devices. It seems to revert to using cellular which isn't right. I haven't noticed issues on other devices on my network, but since I upgraded to v2.3.5.30 on both the router and satellite I've been having these types of issues. I am debating to do a factory reset and restart with the v2.3.1.60 firmware instead and leave this one till it's been proven to be more stable. 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 7 of 33
Nick_Wilson
Aspirant

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Thanks, I factory reset with the existing firmware and will monitor for the next few days to see if the situation improves. I appreciate the quick answer!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Sounds good. Keep us posted. Smiley Wink


@Nick_Wilson wrote:

Thanks, I factory reset with the existing firmware and will monitor for the next few days to see if the situation improves. I appreciate the quick answer!


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 9 of 33
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Hi @rjantigua

 

Were you able to update the firmware to 2.3.5.30? Firmware is already posted on our support site https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30

 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 33
rjantigua
Guide

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Thanks for the update. I think pushing the update before updating the site can cause confusion if the site doesn't document support of the version with the model in question.

I work from home (read long hours), so I'll have to try it late in the night. I'm just realizing as well that with houses and devices becoming more and more connected, any network downtime has to be scheduled as if I'm upgrading a production server. Sigh. I'll try it again within the next couple days.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

The push to users system are for users to try if they wish to. NG isn't forcing updates anymore. So users dont' have to do FW udpates if there systems are working. If the files are not on the download site then it means FW is still being tested to ensure good operation before NG posts them. 

Let us know how it goes. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 12 of 33
Nick_Wilson
Aspirant

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

It's been 5 days now since the factory reset to restore settings back. I continue to run on the updated firmware with no further issues at all with disconnects on devices. Thanks for all the input in resolving my original question - looks like smooth sailing. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Thanks for letting us know. Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink


@Nick_Wilson wrote:

It's been 5 days now since the factory reset to restore settings back. I continue to run on the updated firmware with no further issues at all with disconnects on devices. Thanks for all the input in resolving my original question - looks like smooth sailing. 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 14 of 33
rjantigua
Guide

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

I ran the update following the suggestion of starting with the satellites first.  They updated fint with no issues.  The router started fine but wouldn't come back, staying on the screen indicating that the update was in progress for over 20min (I didn't want to reset the router thinking it might still be updating the firmware for some reason).  My laptop is hardwired to the router, so thinking it might be my stack, I reset my ethernet connection (no luck), then rebooted with no luck either. Then I tried going in via wireless, and lo and behold the login prompt popped up and I was able to get in. Both satellites showed up fine. I eventually went back to an ethernet connection with no issues.

 

Then as I'm about to log off, I noticed that one satellite (Sat1) disconnected. Configuration is: Router in the basement, Sat1 on 1st floor, and Sat2 on second.  Sat1 (closest physically to the router) was the one offline.  Tried sync, power switch, unplug for 30sec...no luck.  I also noticed that neither the blue or magenta lights displayed.  Tired of running the stairs in the middle of the night (morning) I switched to my laptop on the first floor which normally connects wireless to Sat1. No internet, but it was connected.  When I powered down Sat1, it connected to the router and I could log into the console and verify I was on the router and Sat2 was up. Then I hit the reset button on Sat1 (no luck), then I tried one more time holding it down to get a factory reset (flashing amber light, right?), and it eventually came up with the eventual blue light.  I debate if it got to factory reset, because the node name and IP came up as before (Does it get that info automatically from the router??).

 

Anyway, All three nodes are up for now and will monitor to see if anything happens over the next week or so. My apologies for being verbose, but I wanted all my trials and tribulations here in case it helps someone else.

 

Just one other thing:  When I previously updated to 2.2.1.212, then, 2.3.0.32, then 2.3.1.44, and then to 2.3.1.60 I had zero issues with either the router or satellites.  This v2.3.5.30 was a different animal.  Even when I had the initial issues with 5.30 and rolled back to 1.60, it went without a hitch, other than warning me that I was installing an older version.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 33
Geoff_C
Aspirant

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

I have upgraded frimware on RBR50 / RBS50 to v2.3.5.30 which I only use in WiFi mode (not as a router). Have notices since the upgrade 2.4Gz WiFi keeps disappearing. 5GHz is very stable. Anyone else seeing this?

 

Also took a long while to sync with Satellite.

 

Am thinking of going back to v2.3.1.60. Any one have any issues downgrading?

 

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 16 of 33
rjantigua
Guide

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

I successfully downgraded from 2.3.5.30 to 2.3.1.60 with no issues. I noticed both of the issues you mentioned: the 2.4GHz dropping on one of my satellites when I go to that interface.  The long sync I'm attributing to a (now) standard sync process.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 33
Geoff_C
Aspirant

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?


@rjantigua wrote:

I successfully downgraded from 2.3.5.30 to 2.3.1.60 with no issues. I noticed both of the issues you mentioned: the 2.4GHz dropping on one of my satellites when I go to that interface.  The long sync I'm attributing to a (now) standard sync process.


I have also managed to successfully downgrade to v2.3.1.60 and stability seemed to have returned. As does the speed of sync. I think it will leave it alone now and let Netgear go back to the validation team with the big reject stamp for v2.3.50. Not sure how this got through quality control. Very pleased that firmware updates are now not automatic. Thanks for responding.

Message 18 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Did you two try a factory reset after loading v30 on your systems and setup from scratch to see if this helped any? I myself and others are working on v30 with out any problems...Just curious here. 


@Geoff_C wrote:

@rjantigua wrote:

I successfully downgraded from 2.3.5.30 to 2.3.1.60 with no issues. I noticed both of the issues you mentioned: the 2.4GHz dropping on one of my satellites when I go to that interface.  The long sync I'm attributing to a (now) standard sync process.


I have also managed to successfully downgrade to v2.3.1.60 and stability seemed to have returned. As does the speed of sync. I think it will leave it alone now and let Netgear go back to the validation team with the big reject stamp for v2.3.50. Not sure how this got through quality control. Very pleased that firmware updates are now not automatic. Thanks for responding.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 19 of 33
Geoff_C
Aspirant

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

 No ... I wanted to avoid a Factory Reset as I did not want to waste a huge amount of time setting up the system again. I use it just for WiFi distribution and did not want to have to start again.

 

As I said, I am delighted that the firmware downgrade appears to have fixed the issue and stability has improved.

 

I think I might now go back to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it mode" and leave firmware update alone unless something major goes wrong.

Message 20 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Try a manual FW file load by downloading the next FW update should you feel inclinded next time. A factory reset is recommended and it helps to ensure the FW is installed well and any mis-configurations will be cleared out. 

 

Yes, if it works, don't fix it is a good method as well. 

 

Enjoy. 


@Geoff_C wrote:

 No ... I wanted to avoid a Factory Reset as I did not want to waste a huge amount of time setting up the system again. I use it just for WiFi distribution and did not want to have to start again.

 

As I said, I am delighted that the firmware downgrade appears to have fixed the issue and stability has improved.

 

I think I might now go back to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it mode" and leave firmware update alone unless something major goes wrong.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 21 of 33
Dfran1
Guide

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

-upgraded today 

-did a factory reset RBS50 first , waited, then RBR50

-generated a new key 

-reset RBS50 using reset button as I lost connection after generate new key

(not sure if this was needed but I also wanted to make sure of slow Internet on RBS issue below)

-RBS was still not showing online even after a few power cycles so I just went out to do errands and when I came back 1 1/2 hours latter the satellite was connected finally, must have just needed time to sync. 

 

-Every device, iPad, 2-iPhones, 3-apple tvs 4K, and lots of other devises so far are connected perfectly and no disconnects at all yet. Will certainly post back if I find any problems. 

-One of my WiFi cameras has weak WiFi but works. 

 

-Now the problem I have and had with many firmware versions, sometimes the RBS satellite would give me full speed the first few days of a new firmware then after a few days or so I only get 1/4 to 1/2 the full speed of my ISP on devises connected to the satellite RBS 5G band(but this version was the slow speed after flash), BUT when these same devises connected to the main RBR 5G , I get full isp speed on Speedtest downloads.  I think this may be a common problem of these Orbi devices as another thread I read somewhere in this forum stated by some.  If there is a fix for this please advise.       

 

 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 22 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled? For one RBS, disable Daisy chain...

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.


@Dfran1 wrote:

-upgraded today 

-did a factory reset RBS50 first , waited, then RBR50

-generated a new key 

-reset RBS50 using reset button as I lost connection after generate new key

(not sure if this was needed but I also wanted to make sure of slow Internet on RBS issue below)

-RBS was still not showing online even after a few power cycles so I just went out to do errands and when I came back 1 1/2 hours latter the satellite was connected finally, must have just needed time to sync. 

 

-Every device, iPad, 2-iPhones, 3-apple tvs 4K, and lots of other devises so far are connected perfectly and no disconnects at all yet. Will certainly post back if I find any problems. 

-One of my WiFi cameras has weak WiFi but works. 

 

-Now the problem I have and had with many firmware versions, sometimes the RBS satellite would give me full speed the first few days of a new firmware then after a few days or so I only get 1/4 to 1/2 the full speed of my ISP on devises connected to the satellite RBS 5G band(but this version was the slow speed after flash), BUT when these same devises connected to the main RBR 5G , I get full isp speed on Speedtest downloads.  I think this may be a common problem of these Orbi devices as another thread I read somewhere in this forum stated by some.  If there is a fix for this please advise.       

 

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 23 of 33
Dfran1
Guide

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Yes I disabled daisy chain, one of the first things after factory reset.

1,150 square feet , raised ranch
Router in middle of the basement 4” from ceiling
Satellite is 20-30 feet , 2’ above floor on 1st floor in south room north corner of front of house.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 24 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.3.5.30 valid for RBR50/RBS50?

Possible that speed issues come from the RBR being in the basement. Basements are not good for wifi routers. Can be problematic. 


@Dfran1 wrote:
Yes I disabled daisy chain, one of the first things after factory reset.

1,150 square feet , raised ranch
Router in middle of the basement 4” from ceiling
Satellite is 20-30 feet , 2’ above floor on 1st floor in south room north corner of front of house.

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 5180 views
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements