Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware 2.5.1.16

CrimpOn
Guru

Firmware 2.5.1.16

Noticed post today stating that new firmware was automatically installed and the Orbi immediately started having problems.  Went to Advanced Tab, Administration, and "sure enough", my RBR50 says that it "downloaded" 2.5.1.16 and is ready to update.

So this is a real pickle.  Netgear is not "silently pushing" 2.5.1.6 to the Orbi.  On the other hand, the Orbi web interface Home Page now has a prominent announcement "A new firmware upgrade is available. Get here to get it."  We have moved from "the support page shows new firmware if you want to try it" to "new firmware is available, get it here."

So what do we make of this?  Is it still "my fault" if I click on this link, install new firmware, and "something goes wrong"???

I cannot contact Netgear for support.

As Pooh says, "Oh, bother."

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.5.1.16

"and is ready to update." Doesn't mean it was actually applied. I know on mine I saw the notification of the new udpate on the Home page at the top. This only means that the RBR detects a FW update, and that it hasn't applied it. 

Look at the FW version loaded at the top right of the screen. IF it's still your prior version of FW, then the update hasn't been applied, it's just letting you know there is an update available and it's up to you to update to it. You'll have to select OK to update the system.

FYI, My 50 series is running v16 currently in AP mode. No problems seen thus far. 

Message 2 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

Firmware 2.5.1.16

I just update my firmware to 2.5.1.16 from 2.5.1.8 last week. I notice all wireless device having frequent loss internet/wireless connection. After 5 days trial new firmware, I decide to rollback firmware to 2.5.1.8 for both router and satellites. Kindly advice me  any solution on frequent internet/wireless disconnect issue. 

Thank You

From Malaysia

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch after manually loading v16. I recommend manual download of the FW files, apply the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

Factory reset and walk thru the setup wizard. 

@jijun1964 wrote:

Firmware 2.5.1.16

I just update my firmware to 2.5.1.16 from 2.5.1.8 last week. I notice all wireless device having frequent loss internet/wireless connection. After 5 days trial new firmware, I decide to rollback firmware to 2.5.1.8 for both router and satellites. Kindly advice me  any solution on frequent internet/wireless disconnect issue. 

Thank You

From Malaysia

Message 4 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

Can I do following method,  I reset RBR50 => Update firmware for both Router and Satelllite => Restore backup setting. 

Please advise. Reset RBR50 is the last choise for me.

Message 5 of 20
zero71
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues. Constant wifi dropping since the new update. I think I will try to roll back too. I only upgraded because circle was broken, but its not worth this hassle.

Message 6 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

I agree with you, I done firmware update before, at least 2 time, just update and reboot. Done, don't have issue like this. Why need to reset the router to update firmware. I don't think this will solve wifi connectivity issue.
Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended to update the RBS first then RBR. Yes you can reapply a backup configuration to file. Be aware that if you notice problems after applying the backup file, you'll need to reset and setup from scratch again, then not apply the backup file to see if the problem clears. Some backup configuraton files from prior versions may cause problems. It's commended to setup from scratch if this happens then make a new backup file with the newer FW loaded. 

@jijun1964 wrote:

Can I do following method,  I reset RBR50 => Update firmware for both Router and Satelllite => Restore backup setting. 

Please advise. Reset RBR50 is the last choise for me.

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? This should be tried after the FW update if you experience problems. I haven't seen wifi problems with v16 loaded on my RBK50. Ya, I reset mine. Running solid.

Message 9 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

I already reset my RBR50 and RBS50. Update RBS50 frimware to 2.5.1.16 and update firmware RBR50 to 2.5.1.16. Then restore all parameter and off/on router and connect to Internet. All done. Under monitoring wifi conection loss.
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@jijun1964 wrote:
I already reset my RBR50 and RBS50. Update RBS50 frimware to 2.5.1.16 and update firmware RBR50 to 2.5.1.16. Then restore all parameter and off/on router and connect to Internet. All done. Under monitoring wifi conection loss.

Message 11 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

I will set the router and wifi setiing follow your advise. At current update, wifi disconnected still occurred more frequent compare to 2.5.1.8 firmware.
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

So even with v2.5.1.8 you still saw disconnections? 

Message 13 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

I mean firm 2.5.1.16 more frequent. I days at least 4 to 5 time. If firmware 2.5.1.8 1 week about 7 time.
Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Well even if your seeing problems with FW regardless of version, seems that your system or your ISP service needs to be looked at. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem if your using cable ISP services.

@jijun1964 wrote:
I mean firm 2.5.1.16 more frequent. I days at least 4 to 5 time. If firmware 2.5.1.8 1 week about 7 time.

Message 15 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

I already confirm wireless connect lost due tu RBR50 it self, pc using cable connection to RBR50 still can connect to internet, not for wireless. I can conclude firmware 2.5.1.16 even worse than 2.5.1.8.
Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If your seeing disconnections on Wif on both then I will presume that the problem is else where, either in your environment or some thing near by maybe that is causing this problem. I'm on v16 right now and have had it loaded since it came out a few months ago. Have not seen one drop in wifi for internet yet. I'm gonna try updating to v32 sometime this weekend I think.Something you can try as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-50-series-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-32-FW-Release/m-p/19...

Though I feel it may not help either. IF you have been having problems for a while, need to find out where the problem is. 

Try running thru this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR20-RBS20-2-5-1-16-firmware-observations/m-p/1897766/highlig...

I would turn OFF all RBS and just run the RBR to help narrow things down. 

Any wifi neighbors? 

Try turning down the power on the RBR radios as well. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 18 of 20
jijun1964
Guide

Just update frimware to v2.5.1.32 for router and satellite. Under monitoring.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7