Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware 2.7.0.70???

Greg00001
Star

Firmware 2.7.0.70???

Just happened to open the Orbi app and it said new firmware.  I then went to the Orbi's webpage and it said new firmware was available.  When it checked it said no new firmware and the new firmware available disappeared.  Captured this though.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 2.7.0.70???

Probably a mistake. 

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Circle-quot-Something-Went-Wrong-quot-on-new-RBR50-install/m-p...

@Greg00001 wrote:

Just happened to open the Orbi app and it said new firmware.  I then went to the Orbi's webpage and it said new firmware was available.  When it checked it said no new firmware and the new firmware available disappeared.  Captured this though.

Message 3 of 22
kf0s
Aspirant

Well, interestingly I selected to have it to the update and the router went to the new version but the satellite didn't. The satellite still connects so hopefully I'm not messed up.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

I have the exact opposite problem.  Manual says to update satellites first.  I did this thru the app and the satellites went from 2.5.1.16 to 2.5.2.4.  using the automatic firmware on the phone app and thru web interface, the router RBR50, will not take it.  It goes thru the setup and then it still says the version is 2.5.1.16 and on the auto update page it says needs to be updated to 2.5.2.4.  I have run the auto many times.  Then tried the manual download for RBR50, no error messages given.  Comes back on and still ins on 2.5.1.16.

Then I ran the manual download and put on 2.7.0.70 on satellites.  Same thing, it won't take the version of firmware on the router. 

I went thru this a few weeks ago as my internet was dropping multiple times a day.  I did a factory reset and that seemed to work for a week or so and now back to same issue multiple times a day. 

Why is my router not updating the firmware?  I hate to have to go thru a factory reset again. 

Used to love my Orbi, not so much the last month!  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 22
Mikey94025
Hero

@EricInKY wrote:

Then tried the manual download for RBR50, no error messages given.  Comes back on and still ins on 2.5.1.16.

Then I ran the manual download and put on 2.7.0.70 on satellites.  Same thing, it won't take the version of firmware on the router.   

Is it possible you're not going through the manual firmware upgrade process correctly?  Let's use the orbilogin.com admin website method:

1. Download from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk50.aspx#download, make sure you have extracted and see the .IMG file (don't just double-click into the .ZIP file because in Windows it just peeks inside, I right-click and select Extract All).  2.7.0.70 is only for the US, I assume you are in the US.
  2. In orbilogin.com, go to Advanced... Administration... Firmware Update.
  3. Switch to the Manual Update tab.
  4. Let's upgrade an RBS first.  Check one of the satellites and press Update.
  5. A new, popup browser window appears with the IP address of the RBS (e.g., http://192.168.3.11/fwUpdate.htm).  You'll need to login as "admin" and password again.  If you get an error then the RBS is temporarily unreachable so try again later or try another RBS.
  6. Press the Browse button, select the .IMG file (not the .ZIP file and make sure it is the RBS not RBR firmware file), then press Upload.
  7. It will say "Please wait a moment" then ask you to confirm before proceeding.

If you're seeing all of the above and the satellite is not upgrading to the new firmware version, then I can't explain what's going on.  🙂

Verify the RBS firmware version by going directly to its website (don't just rely upon what the RBR and orbilogin.com says it has): Find its IP address in orbilogin.com, Basic, Attached Devices.  Then enter it into your browser (e.g., for my RBS it is http://192.168.3.11/).  After you login you'll see the RBS admin page and its firmware version displayed like: "Hardware Version: RBS50  Firmware Version: V2.7.0.70".

Message 6 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.  Yes, i have already followed all of those steps.  my satellites are at 2.7.0.70.  My router will not update to 2.7.0.70.  Tried both the manual and auto updates to firmware. 

See file attached that lists the satellites have been updated, but in the top right corner the Router is still on 2.5.1.16. 

I've gone thru the manual process by selecting the image file and applying to the router section.  It goes thru the process and then when it comes back up, it still says 2.5.1.16. 

Message 7 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

and yes, i have selected the RBS img file for satellites and the RBR img file for the router. 

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try IE11, Edge or Firefox. 

Be sure to clear out ALL browser caches before and after loading FW files.

Disable any security browser add-ons that may prevent FW from being sent correctly.

Factory reset the RBR and RBS. Disconnect the RBR from the modem and all devices accept for 1 wired PC. You can send FW directly to the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250 if you reset the RBS and wait 5 minutes. Log into the RBS web page using admin and password. 

Message 9 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

Ok, this is still not working.  I did a factory reset, twice now, each time holding down the reset until the amber light blinks (approx 10 seconds).  I disconnected everything but one wired pc.  typed in 192.168.1.1 (when i try 250 as suggested it doesn't find anything) and it took my previous admin and password.  It didn't erase any settings.  It didn't reset to factory.  I did this a few weeks ago and it wiped out the SSID, passwords, etc.  Not this time. 

Now will try a third time to factory reset.  Not sure what is going on.  Still have my satellites at 2.7.0.70 and router at 2.5.1.16 firmware.  And yes, it's still dropping internet at least twice a day.  It's not an intermittent things.  My modem is up the whole time.  The only way to bring it back each time is do a reboot of the router. 

Message 10 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you try to update the RBR to v70, Then see if the RBS will connect there. IF they do, look at the connected clients page and see if the RBS have a IP address from the RBR. Use this IP address to see if you can access the RBS web page and use the same log in and PW as you have currently set on the RBR after you update the RBR to v70.

If this fails, you can try this with the RBS to see if they will take v16 FW using TFTP:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.

I updated my RBK50 and one RBS50 this past weekend for some testing. Then downgraded to v4 on the RBS first then RBR. Both downgraded with out problems. After that, I downgraded to v16 on the RBS first then RBR. Still working well. 

Message 11 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

I appreciate everyone's help.  I may have not been clear.  I started the updates to the firmware with the RBS first, i have two of them.  They both went to 2.5.2.4.  then when i did the RBR to 2.5.2.4, it would not take it.  It runs thru the whole process of messages and it's waiting and then it comes back to log in again and it still says 2.5.1.16.  

Then i tried 2.7.0.70 on the RBS, success again.  Still RBR would not work.  I've tried Manual, wired, Firefox, Edge, etc.  

I also tried to factory reset and i hold it for the amber flashing and when it comes back up its my saved password and my SSID is still there.  

guess i will just continue to reboot the router multiple times a day when it drops the internet.  

I don't have accees to Win7 PC to try the TFTP. 

I can't even find the 2.5.1.16 FW for the routers/satellites on the support page.  It only shows 2.5.2.4 and 2.7.0.70. 

Thanks

Message 12 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

i found .16 in the previous versions section.  will try to get them all back to same version and see if I still get the drops. 

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@EricInKY wrote:

I appreciate everyone's help.  I may have not been clear.  I started the updates to the firmware with the RBS first, i have two of them.  They both went to 2.5.2.4.  then when i did the RBR to 2.5.2.4, it would not take it.  It runs thru the whole process of messages and it's waiting and then it comes back to log in again and it still says 2.5.1.16.  

Then i tried 2.7.0.70 on the RBS, success again.  Still RBR would not work.  I've tried Manual, wired, Firefox, Edge, etc.  

I also tried to factory reset and i hold it for the amber flashing and when it comes back up its my saved password and my SSID is still there.  

guess i will just continue to reboot the router multiple times a day when it drops the internet.  

I don't have accees to Win7 PC to try the TFTP. 

I can't even find the 2.5.1.16 FW for the routers/satellites on the support page.  It only shows 2.5.2.4 and 2.7.0.70. 

Try this:

Unplug the Orbi router from everything.

Leave the power supply plugged into the router with it unplugged from the wall.

Press and hold the power and reset button for 30 seconds.

While holding the rest button in, plug the Orbi router into the wall and turn it on, still holding the reset button. 

Do not let go of the reset button until you see a red power light, then release and wait.

The router will reset, then the white light will come on.

Wait until the white light is pulsing, then turn off the router and plug it back into the ISP modem.

Reboot your ISP modem, turn on the Orbi router and set it up as if it is right out of the box. 

Once the router is back up, perform a manual firmware update using 2.7.0.70. 

Once the firmware is updated, re-sync your satellites.

Hopefully this works. 

Message 15 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

OK, still very frustrated, spent many hours today, doing the hold the reset with the power and the cord unplugged from the wall.  Plug back in and get the red light.  It will take a few mintues to boot and then it might for a mintue display Orbi41 as factory SSID, but it won't connect to internet.  I type in the password on the bottom of the router and it still won't connect.  using the app on an ipad.  Then all of a sudden my old SSID pops up.  I can connect to it, but no internet and then the light goes solid magenta.  I hardwired to the router and typed Ipconfig /all and the ethernet shows the default gateway as  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe64:4246%19

I try to thru browser log in to 192.168.1.1 or orbi login and nothing, it times out and says i'm not connected to the internet. 

When it's in the blinking white phase i pull up the app and have tried both using the QR code and manual setup and it goes thru the whole thing, pops up a window "Join Orbi41 network" i click join and it comes back and says "Can't join Orbi 41" 

i even unplugged the sattelites and tried just connecting the RBR50.  

Pulled out my old netgear router and connected it to modem and it's up in 15 seconds.  So, its not my ehternet cable to modem (already replaced that) and it's not my ISP, as I'm up an running on an old AC1760 R6400.  

Going on about 19 months with this system, it shouldn't fail inside 2 years for $400! 

Is there any other option or has my orbi died?  

Message 16 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@EricInKY wrote:

OK, still very frustrated, spent many hours today, doing the hold the reset with the power and the cord unplugged from the wall.  Plug back in and get the red light.  It will take a few mintues to boot and then it might for a mintue display Orbi41 as factory SSID, but it won't connect to internet.  I type in the password on the bottom of the router and it still won't connect.  using the app on an ipad.  Then all of a sudden my old SSID pops up.  I can connect to it, but no internet and then the light goes solid magenta.  I hardwired to the router and typed Ipconfig /all and the ethernet shows the default gateway as  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe64:4246%19

You will never connect to the internet until you perform a setup again, as if you just purchased it. 

Are you disconnecting the satellites and the router from the ISP modem?

When you see the Orbi41 SSID pop up, can you connect to that WIFI SSID, using your phone? If so then you are ready to perform the router setup. Plug the network cable in and follow the setup instructions. At this point your Orbi router should be pulsing white.

If all of a sudden your old SSID pops up, then you have not successfully reset the Orbi router. 

Message 17 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

Yes, the only thing i leave in is the power cord.  And I unplug that from the wall.  I hold down power and reset for 30 seconds, then plug in while still holding reset.  The Power light comes on red and then i let go of reset.  

When you see the Orbi41 SSID pop up, can you connect to that WIFI SSID, using your phone? 

Now it is only showing my old SSID.  i can't get it to bring up Orbi41 anymore.  and it will show that available for about 5 minutes.  When i connect to it, via phone, it says that it won't let me join.  Then it will hang trying to connect saying no internet. 

I've tried this with the modem connected and without.  Multiple times.  Then it eventually drops the orignal SSID and the light on the orbi goes solid magenta and the SSID disappears.  Ive tried typing in in manually on my phone and it says could not find. 

I just don't understand why factory reset is not working.  Both the 30 second method and the hold til the amber light blinks.  

Message 18 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@EricInKY wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

Yes, the only thing i leave in is the power cord.  And I unplug that from the wall.  I hold down power and reset for 30 seconds, then plug in while still holding reset.  The Power light comes on red and then i let go of reset.  

See if this works.

Try holding the reset button in longer. It should reset at least after the red light blinks. 

Then plug the router into the ISP modem and connect your computer to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable. Launch a web browser and visit orbilogin.com. If a login window opens, enter the user name and password. The user name is admin and the default password is password. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Message 19 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

Thanks MrBig

Tried that as well.  says site not available when i go to orbi login.  I ended up buying the tech support from Netgear and spent 2 hours on the phone with a very patient tech.  We did all the suggestions above, even did one where i held reset and unplugged and plugged in the power cable 6 times.  When we connected via ethernet cable and pulled up the IP address for the default gateway it showed it as 192.168.1.250, not .1.  It would let me log in but it brought up the interface that looks like it's a satellite not the router.  At that point she said it's done.  It's somehow corrupted and there is no way to get it back.  I asked her about FTP the firmware and she didn't seem to have that.  

So, i may try that one last time, to get the firmware loaded via FTP, but other than that I'm buying an RBR50 on amazon and during setup, i will add my satellites.  $100 including shipping.  

Message 20 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@EricInKY wrote:

Thanks MrBig

So, i may try that one last time, to get the firmware loaded via FTP, but other than that I'm buying an RBR50 on amazon and during setup, i will add my satellites.  $100 including shipping.  

The Renewed RBR50s are hit and miss.  

The statement

"this pre-owned product has been professionally inspected, tested and cleaned by Amazon-qualified suppliers"

is false.

So if you have issues right out of the box, send it back and don't waste your time. At least Amazon offers the free return.

Good luck.

Message 21 of 22
EricInKY
Aspirant

While I'm waiting for the arrival of a hopefully solid renewed RBR50, i'm not giving up.  

The tech support mentioned that something caused my router to turn into a satellite.  Hence the IP address assignment being .250 and some other things.  While searching for a replacement, i came across on ebay RBR50's that had been converted to RBS50.  So i found an article on reddit that walks thru the steps to do this, and thought that i could reverse the commands that change it from Satellite to Router. 

i'm able to login to the orbi via 192.168.1.250/debug.htm with my credentials.  Then i enabled Telnet.  logged in via telnet and this is where the instructions of converting it I'm getting different results.  

The response to the read commands of the board_data and board_model_id are not what is listed in the instructions.  It should return values ike 1101 or 1201 and it returns “r 5”.  Same with model, it should return RBR50 and it returns “?r BD”

I still tried to make the changes.  I’ve even tried to turn it into a satellite and then the hopes of maybe going the other way.  Put whenever I do the tftp commands to put the file on the router it ends up failing after several minutes.

So, overall I guess I have given it my all.  Will be interesting to see if I get a good RBR50 if this current one that seems to be in RBS mode, will be able to be used as an additional satellite. If not, i'll see if i can get a few dollars for parts on ebay. 

Appreciate the community support! 

Love the concept of Orbi and for 18 months, but seems to be a royal pain right now. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7