Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.7.3.22, a poll

autigers1970
Aspirant

Firmware 2.7.3.22, a poll

So I have an RBR40 with two RBS20 satellites and the 2.7.3.22 firmware just showed up in the app as an update. I’m currently on 2.6.2.104.

I’ve seen some threads here with bricked main routers and other issues. I was wondering if I could get an informal poll on people’s results here. If you’ve updated to 2.7.3.22, could you post your result here? I’m a little wigged out. We’ve been dealing with major internet problems for months now and just had a solid week or so of no issues after finally switching ISPs. So I don’t want to break the Orbi. But I do like to stay on top of security updates.

So, what are you experiences?
Message 1 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend if your system is working. Keep what is currently loaded on it. 

Message 2 of 53
JCR-PDX
Initiate

Don't do it.  Seems like at least every other update causes me issues that are seemingly random.  Right now, the network drops internet connection but still broadcasts network and connections appear to be ok.  Already spent a week on it without issues.  Last time it took me four months to solve a similar problems.  Netgear!!!!!?????!!!!!!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 53
CrimpOn
Guru

What is that saying?  "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

If the system is working well, I would feel no urgency to mess with it.

But, do not be surprised when one day the firmware is updated by Netgear.  Unless you look at the Orbi management interface every day, it may be some time before you realize this happened.  Or... as some have posted, it will become all too apparent.

Message 4 of 53
alokeprasad
Mentor

Seems Ok on RBK50 installations in 2 households (one with 2 satellies, the other with 1 satellite). 

Both households are using wireless backhauls.

Message 5 of 53
Aggie88
Apprentice

I was leery when mine updated from 2.5.2.4 to 2.7.3.22 about a month ago.  I've rebooted once in that month so it has been pretty stable for me.

Message 6 of 53
inteller
Apprentice

seems pretty responsive so far, only had it for a few hours though.

Message 7 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended that the Orbi system be fully powered OFF for 1 minute then back ON after the system has received or has been updated. 

Message 8 of 53
Gudel2
Apprentice

I have a RBK50 V1 and was having issues connecting to my devices.

I decided to just connect to router alone then satellite.

That worked for me.

Message 9 of 53
pdeethardt
Apprentice

For what it's worth (knock on wood) my system has been running for a week now on 2.7.3.22 with no issues. I have an RBR50, RBS50, and RBS50Y. I upgraded each satellite manually, waited for them to fully reboot, then upgraded the router. I was a little worried because the last manual upgrade I did caused some issues on the router where the login web page would not load, but I was able to complete the update using the app. No issues at all with the upgrade process this time.

Message 10 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you reboot these devices or power them OFF then back ON after the update or just continue to use the system as is? 

@pdeethardt wrote:

For what it's worth (knock on wood) my system has been running for a week now on 2.7.3.22 with no issues. I have an RBR50, RBS50, and RBS50Y. I upgraded each satellite manually, waited for them to fully reboot, then upgraded the router. I was a little worried because the last manual upgrade I did caused some issues on the router where the login web page would not load, but I was able to complete the update using the app. No issues at all with the upgrade process this time.

Message 11 of 53
pdeethardt
Apprentice

Just continued to use the system as-is. I haven't down the full power down with any of the updates I've applied so far, and I haven't noticed any issues.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you reboot these devices or power them OFF then back ON after the update or just continue to use the system as is? 

Message 12 of 53
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I should add a disclaimer that I am having some issues with my RBS50Y rebooting, but that was happening prior to the firmware upgrade. I think it's a power issue possibly, but I'm still troubleshooting. The RBS50Y is a recent addtion to my system. The RBR50 and RBS50 have been in operation for about a year now.

Message 13 of 53
Gudel2
Apprentice

Yes I have the same issue rebooting
Message 14 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. 

I presume the FW is on the RSBY is up to date?

Might factory reset the RBSY and setup from scratch...

@pdeethardt wrote:

I should add a disclaimer that I am having some issues with my RBS50Y rebooting, but that was happening prior to the firmware upgrade. I think it's a power issue possibly, but I'm still troubleshooting. The RBS50Y is a recent addtion to my system. The RBR50 and RBS50 have been in operation for about a year now.

Message 15 of 53
pdeethardt
Apprentice

Yeah, the RBS50Y is running 2.7.3.22 as well. That's one of the reasons I eventually decided to upgrade, so all components were running the same firmware version. I have a couple of things to try before doing a factory reset, so I'll see how those go first.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 16 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

@pdeethardt wrote:

Yeah, the RBS50Y is running 2.7.3.22 as well. That's one of the reasons I eventually decided to upgrade, so all components were running the same firmware version. I have a couple of things to try before doing a factory reset, so I'll see how those go first.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 17 of 53
Mooose
Luminary

The update bricked my router.

This has happened before, and I have managed to recover through TFTP, but not this time. My RBR50 now appears to be truly FUBAR.
Message 18 of 53
punkorambo
Guide

I woke up one day and had 2.7.3.22 auto installed on my RBR50 and one RBS50. This was a few weeks ago and I haven’t had any problems. All my settings look the same too.
Message 19 of 53
Yosmany21
Aspirant

I found my way to these forums after 2 years because of the 2.7.3.22 firmware.

I'd tell you not to do it. This is the first firmware update where I've had major issues.

My upload speeds dropped to 1 mb, one of my 2 satellites keeps dropping off and reconnecting randomly. After the updated I had about 10 duplicate IP addresses creating conflicts . Devices wouldn't just auto reconnect. On many of them had to forget the network and readd it. And now 50% of my devices in the Orbi app and web based router management tools show offline or not even connected when they actually are connected.

This sucks.

My understanding is that I have perform a factory reset, but that seems like a pain in the butt especially if I have to re-enter the SSID and password for 70 devices and reconfigure the router from scratch.

It's like Netgear didn't test this firmware out at all. It's bad. Really bad. But maybe it's just me.
Message 20 of 53
CrimpOn
Guru

@Yosmany21 wrote:
My understanding is that I have perform a factory reset, but that seems like a pain in the butt especially if I have to re-enter the SSID and password for 70 devices and reconfigure the router from scratch.

Sory you made a beginner mistake. Every time I insall a new WiFi router or Factory Reset the one I'm using now, I put in exactly the same SSID/password . That way, all my devices reconnect automatically. And, if I decide to "go back" to the old WiFi router, it is a simple swap and the devices reconnect again.

Also, when I want to change the Password Recovery security questions, I am required to enter the old password and then new password (two times).  I just use the same password for old and new.

Message 21 of 53
Yosmany21
Aspirant

If I factory reset the router do I have to factory reset the satellites? Is there a Best practice to follow when doing a reset of your system with two satellites?
Message 22 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

If you reset the RBR it's best to reset the RBS as well. Initial steps after a FW update is to power OFF the RBR and RBS and ISP modem. 

If this doesn't work to resolve odd isssues, then a reset would be next step.

@Yosmany21 wrote:
If I factory reset the router do I have to factory reset the satellites? Is there a Best practice to follow when doing a reset of your system with two satellites?

Message 23 of 53
HTWingNut
Guide

I thought it did mine too (RBR40). But after being persistent, doing a 7 second reset, 30-30-30 second on off on reset, and then powered off then on again (without reset), it eventually booted back up. But weird thing is that it didn't update to 2.7.3.22 it stayed on 2.6.2.104. Maybe that's a good thing.

Message 24 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR40-Firmware-Update-2-6-2-104-to-2-7-3-22-not-working/td-p/2...

@HTWingNut wrote:

I thought it did mine too (RBR40). But after being persistent, doing a 7 second reset, 30-30-30 second on off on reset, and then powered off then on again (without reset), it eventually booted back up. But weird thing is that it didn't update to 2.7.3.22 it stayed on 2.6.2.104. Maybe that's a good thing.

Message 25 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7