Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.7.3.22, a poll

fmalloy
Luminary

@JCR-PDX wrote:

Don't do it.  Seems like at least every other update causes me issues that are seemingly random.  

Now, you don't have a choice. 

My RBR/RBS20 all silently updated without any notice at 2am. You can't stop it, which is very unfortunate.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 27 of 53
fmalloy
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FW updates can be blocked. 

Yeah, with a lot of hassle and an additional router.

No thanks.

Message 28 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Users choice though. 

Message 29 of 53
fmalloy
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Users choice though. 

To buy another router, and block site access? LOL, no thanks.

Here's a wild idea - put an option in the router software to NOT automatically install FW updates.

Brilliant concept.

Message 30 of 53
CrimpOn
Guru

This illustrates the essence of the community forum.  There are any number of things that Netgear could or might do.  The plain fact is that the community has no control or even influence over such decisions.  What community members can do is describe what can be done by users.  The most obvious choice is to accept.  "It is what it is. Live with it or buy something else."  For users who do not want to accept what Netgear has provided, there are ways to block automatic updates.  Not easy. Not free.  What the community cannot do is dictate how Netgear programs the firmware.

Message 31 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Brilliant concept.

@CrimpOn wrote:

This illustrates the essence of the community forum.  There are any number of things that Netgear could or might do.  The plain fact is that the community has no control or even influence over such decisions.  What community members can do is describe what can be done by users.  The most obvious choice is to accept.  "It is what it is. Live with it or buy something else."  For users who do not want to accept what Netgear has provided, there are ways to block automatic updates.  Not easy. Not free.  What the community cannot do is dictate how Netgear programs the firmware.

Message 32 of 53
pdeethardt
Apprentice

It does seem like a no-brainer for them to add a setting to enable or disable automatic updates. Any idea why they are pushing out this version so hard? Is there a significant security glitch fixed that isn't immediately evident? I'm a newbie to the Orbi system, having only had a system since the summer of 2020, but in that time I've only had one update automatically pushed to my system, and in that instance it only updated the router and not the satellite.

For what it's worth, I've been running 2.7.3.22 for about 25 days now, and aside from a rebooting issue that's still occuring on my RBS50Y, my RBR50 and RBS50 have been rock solid.

Message 33 of 53
alokeprasad
Mentor

Probably some serious security issues.  They list some of them (typically after a fox is available) here

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/ 

Message 34 of 53
jkevincook
Aspirant

I've had the Orbi Mesh for over a year and had issues from day one.  TERRIBLE support from Netgear.  Many were solved but multiple problems remain:

1. Access control randomly blocks machines.  One day it blocked EVERY DEVICE. I couldn't access the admin control panel nor use the Orbi App on my phone.  NG Said the only solution was a full facdtory reset of all devices
  2. If users are connected to the Orbi Voice - they cannot access internet.  If they connect to the main router or the other satellite then they are fine.  So I disconnect the Orbi Voice.
  3. Post factory reset of all devices, and upgrade of firmware as directed by NG support, Only the RBS40 can connect.  The light ring on the RBS40V goes from white to blue to extremely fast flashing white.
  4. When the RBS40V is plugged via Ethernet access control blocks my desktop computer which is also connected via ethernet.

Topology:

CM1200 -> Wired to RBR50->Wired Backhaul to GS108

GS108 Wired to RBS40V

GS108 Wired to RBS40

GS108 Wired to All LAN devices

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, GS108|Gigabit Switches, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite, RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 35 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you post in the Orbi with Voice forum since you seem to have problems surrounding the RBS40v:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice

@jkevincook wrote:

I've had the Orbi Mesh for over a year and had issues from day one.  TERRIBLE support from Netgear.  Many were solved but multiple problems remain:

1. Access control randomly blocks machines.  One day it blocked EVERY DEVICE. I couldn't access the admin control panel nor use the Orbi App on my phone.  NG Said the only solution was a full facdtory reset of all devices
  2. If users are connected to the Orbi Voice - they cannot access internet.  If they connect to the main router or the other satellite then they are fine.  So I disconnect the Orbi Voice.
  3. Post factory reset of all devices, and upgrade of firmware as directed by NG support, Only the RBS40 can connect.  The light ring on the RBS40V goes from white to blue to extremely fast flashing white.
  4. When the RBS40V is plugged via Ethernet access control blocks my desktop computer which is also connected via ethernet.

Topology:

CM1200 -> Wired to RBR50->Wired Backhaul to GS108

GS108 Wired to RBS40V

GS108 Wired to RBS40

GS108 Wired to All LAN devices

Message 36 of 53
higgs02
Aspirant

I've been reading a lot lately about various security vulnerabilities on Netgear devices, so I thought it might be time to update my RBR50 and RBS50, since it's been over a year since I've updated them.  But lo and behold, some sneaky elf has updated them both for me!  On the one hand, I'm happy that it went so smoothly that I didn't even notice.  But on the other hand, I don't appreciate Netgear performing an update that could have potentially knocked my home (and now my business) offline!  And without even a heads up that they're going to be doing so!

If critical security vulnerabilites have to be fixed, at least let us know so we can be prepared if something goes sideways.  Pulling stunts like this behind our backs just reinforces the belief that Netgear really cares very little for their customers.

Message 37 of 53
abacka_08
Aspirant

I don’t know who posted the below message but it’s like I wrote it myself. I am dying every day with all the issues that I am experiencing since I am upgraded to 2.7.3.22.

This is the first time in my life that I am posting anything in any forums, that’s how frustrated and desperate I am for a solution. No, I don’t intend to buy the latest and the greatest from Netgear to solve the problem.

I have an RBR40, no ISP router, with 3 satellites, I am experiencing the same issues described below and what’s worst I don’t know what the solution is. I can’t contact support. have tried everything possible, I have downgraded twice to the previous version and twice it had auto-updated. There is no freaking way to turn-off auto update. I hope someone from Netgear support monitors this forum and acts on this because it’s a horrible horrible experience.

————————————————

I found my way to these forums after 2 years because of the 2.7.3.22 firmware.

I'd tell you not to do it. This is the first firmware update where I've had major issues.

My upload speeds dropped to 1 mb, one of my 2 satellites keeps dropping off and reconnecting randomly. After the updated I had about 10 duplicate IP addresses creating conflicts . Devices wouldn't just auto reconnect. On many of them had to forget the network and readd it. And now 50% of my devices in the Orbi app and web based router management tools show offline or not even connected when they actually are connected.

This sucks.

My understanding is that I have perform a factory reset, but that seems like a pain in the butt especially if I have to re-enter the SSID and password for 70 devices and reconfigure the router from scratch.

It's like Netgear didn't test this firmware out at all. It's bad. Really bad. But maybe it's just me.
Message 38 of 53
CrimpOn
Guru

@abacka_08 wrote:

My understanding is that I have perform a factory reset, but that seems like a pain in the butt especially if I have to re-enter the SSID and password for 70 devices and reconfigure the router from scratch.

This is incorrect.  A Factory Reset erases all user configurations. But, during the setup, simply set the SSID/password to what it was before the reset and all of those 70 devices will immediately connect.

Since I have done a huge amount of 'tinkering' with my Orbi, the process I follow is to:

• Save a copy of the configuration to my PC (Mac, laptop, whatever).
    This is found on the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), on the Advanced Tab, Administration Menu, Backup Settings.
  • Perform the Factory Reset.
  • Connect to the router again, and it will begin the setup process.
  • Enter the bare minimum of information until you get to a page that offers the option to "Load a saved configuration."
  • Doing this will restore all user settings, including the previous SSID/password.
  • The router will reboot and everything will reconnecct.
  • Takes about 15 minutes

I am at a loss to explain how some customers experience nine kinds of hell with firmware V2.7.3.22 whereas my Orbi has been on this firmware since Sept 22 and works the same as always.

Message 39 of 53
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I am at a loss to explain how some customers experience nine kinds of hell with firmware V2.7.3.22 whereas my Orbi has been on this firmware since Sept 22 and works the same as always.

Same here. Aside from the issue I'm having with the traffic meter not resetting at the first of the month and the device manager list not correctly showing active devices (I've experienced this issue starting with firmware version 2.7.0.70 I believe) I have not had any stability or connection speed issues with my system. My system consists of an RBR50, RBS50, and RBS50Y.

There must be a common bond somewhere between the people having issues. Maybe a defective run of hardware since a factory reset doesn't resolve the issues? I'm at a loss as well. 

Message 40 of 53
vodaholic
Guide

I just use Voxel's firmwares. Improves the stock firmware without changing the interface and only has stable releases. Also changes the firmware numbering so Netgear can't auto update your router. It's not hard to revert back to stick should you want to either

Voxel's Firmware (voxel-firmware.com) 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 41 of 53
Retired_Member
Not applicable

May be firmware related. Every morning wired speed drops to 50mbps or so. Reboot and it goes back to 900 (gigabit service.) does this sound like a hardware or software issue?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 42 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

I guess not since the user removed themselves from the forum. 

@Retired_Member wrote:
May be firmware related. Every morning wired speed drops to 50mbps or so. Reboot and it goes back to 900 (gigabit service.) does this sound like a hardware or software issue?

Message 43 of 53
mrDickens
Aspirant

About that.  i had a typo in my username.  which is apparently not forgivable.  i removed that username...but cannot re-join/access the forum using my email (authentication failed.)  so, we try again as my cat.

My RBR50 starts out with a strong 900 mbps signal after a reboot.  a couple of hours later...it's down to 40 or 50 mbps.  wired connection, speedtest to Verizon.  this has been happening for a while.  It's over 4 yrs old.  I wouldn't mind replacing it, but i read so many other threads dealing with Netgear software issues.  It's hard to justify. The new 6e is intriguing....but i'd be happy if the RBR50 worked.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 44 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Try Voxels FW to see if that helps any...

Message 45 of 53
mrDickens
Aspirant

i got his .img file and did a manual install (i think).  it bricked my RBR50. just get a glowing white light.  is there any way to recover or revert?

Message 46 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Should get you back. You can try loading up v2.5.2.4 here...

One thing that Voxels FW. You need to read the notes and be aware. https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/
I forgot to also let you know, you need to revert the RBR and RBS back to NG stock version 2.5.2.4 prior to loading Voxels FW. 

I guess he's only working to develop on v2.5.2x only as I believe he ran in to issues on v2.6 and later versions. So If you can get stock FW back on the RBR, then you can apply Voxels FW. You can't apply his FW on top of v2.6 or v2.7 stock FW. 

Also if you get voxels FW back on to the RBR. His Factory Reset was not working correctly last time I checked. Not sure why he could not fix it. Smiley Frustrated However if a FR is needed, you have to apply NG stock version 2.5.2.4 again back on to the RBR, then factory reset while stock is loaded, then re-apply Voxels FW. I have not loaded his FW in a while so I don't know if he ever fixed the FR issue on his FW. Really makes using his FW a hassle sometimes. Though users seem to like and and seems to work well. 

Message 47 of 53
mrDickens
Aspirant

thanks.  where do i get  v2.5.2.4?  i don't have any saved .img files.  i guess in the same place...

Message 48 of 53
CrimpOn
Guru

All previous firmware files for the RBR50 are here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download 

Click the Plus Sign (+) to open the list.

Message 49 of 53
mrDickens
Aspirant

I threw in the towel.  The Orbi had been rock solid.  Now it's mostly just a rock.  Ironic twist: I grabbed an Asus AX XT8, and it also only showed 50mbps download - wired (same as the Orbi, when it had firmware.)  The AX has pretty good software, and shows the connection speed of each of the RJ45 ports...and WAN showed 100Mbps.  Their web site for troubleshooting said to check your cables to make sure they are at least CAT5E for gig speeds. (CAT5 only supports 100Mbps).  you know what happened when i checked the cable from the wall to the router...CAT5.  been there for years?  no idea why it ever worked at gig speed, or why it stopped.  When i found a legit CAT5e and plugged it in, ASUS identified the port as 1gig and it is giving me those speeds.   hard lesson for a $6 cable.   I'll use the Asus for a while.  Too much drama with Orbi atm.  I'll see how the new 6e stuff works.  i might not be smart enough to get that to work tho.  Moral of the story...more CATs are always better!

Message 50 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7