Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Confusion

Crew60
Aspirant

Firmware Confusion

Hello All, Here it goes. Trying to figure out all this firmware update confusion. I have an RBR50 AC300 and 2 Satellites. I see all this new firmware but is it auto pushed by Netgear? Do I need to manually update the Routers and the Sats? I am getting mixed signals and if stuff is working now do I leave alone? I see sporadic performance issues going to some of my 2.5 GHZ systems etc. Please give me some sound references which way to go on this. Will updated firmware help me out?

Thanks

Crew60

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it goes...

@Crew60 wrote:

Hello All, Here it goes. Trying to figure out all this firmware update confusion. I have an RBR50 AC300 and 2 Satellites. I see all this new firmware but is it auto pushed by Netgear? Do I need to manually update the Routers and the Sats? I am getting mixed signals and if stuff is working now do I leave alone? I see sporadic performance issues going to some of my 2.5 GHZ systems etc. Please give me some sound references which way to go on this. Will updated firmware help me out?

Thanks

Crew60

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Please let us know what your current fw is for both the router and satellite before we answer with specifics.

The end result is you should work to get version .44 installed to gain benefit of all the tweaks and fixes.

How you get there will depend on what current fw you have.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Note:

If you’re manually updating the firmware using a browser, you cannot update the firmware directly to v2.3.0.32. You must first update the firmware to v2.2.1.212 on the RBR.  After updating the firmware v2.2.1.212, your Orbi router will reboot, and then you can update to v2.3.0.32. You can update RBS directly to v32. Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly.

If you are located in the following regions Japan (JP), Australia (AU) and Canada (CA) please hold off updating to FW 2.3.0.32  

@Crew60 wrote:

Thanks

Crew60

Message 3 of 7
DickDuke
Apprentice

In most cases the latest firmware is a good idea, as there are often security and stability improvements. However, if manually updating is intimidating and you are happy with your current performance, you could simply wait until Netgear pushes an update out automatically. The risk, if any, would be minimal.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it goes...

@Crew60 wrote:

Thanks

Crew60

Message 5 of 7
Crew60
Aspirant

Updated firmware manually on both router and satellites.
A little time consuming and not for the novice tech person. Follow all the instructions. There was one Satellite I had to reboot a couple of times for it to take the update. Auto Updates from Netgear really suck FYI
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Ya, we know setting up is time consuming. Auto updates are problematic. Why I like loading FW files myself. 

Make sure you do a backup of the config to file for safe keeping and later use. Smiley Happy

Glad it's working now. Enjoy. 

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7