Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Question...

franktribe
Apprentice

Firmware Question...

To preface, my Orbi system is rock solid. I have an RBR50 and 2 satellites. I am using Ethernet backhaul and do not have any issues with it. My wifi calling works when roaming. My Ring devices work great. It has been running very well on Firmware V2.3.1.60. That firmware feels very reliable on my system. I am investigating V2.3.5.30. But, I don't see any benefits, the bug fixes don't seem to apply to me. So, my question is more about the firmware release cycle and process. If I decide to skip this firmware and another one is released, do I need to upgrade to V2.3.5.30 before going to the next version? Or can I skip V2.3.5.30 and upgrade to the next version when it comes out?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@franktribe wrote:

If I decide to skip this firmware and another one is released, do I need to upgrade to V2.3.5.30 before going to the next version? Or can I skip V2.3.5.30 and upgrade to the next version when it comes out?

Only one firmware update has required an "intermediate step".  That was when the size of Orbi firmware exceeded the maximum that the installer was programmed to handle.  Netgear produced a special firmware release for the sole purpose of changing the maximum firmware size.  My guess is you can be pretty confident that you can skip this release and update to a new one when you want to.

On the "down side", suppose that someday you do need to install an intermediate firmware before making the "ultimate leap."  You do not have to endure the intermediate firmware for an extended time.  Simply update, then update again.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@franktribe wrote:

If I decide to skip this firmware and another one is released, do I need to upgrade to V2.3.5.30 before going to the next version? Or can I skip V2.3.5.30 and upgrade to the next version when it comes out?

Only one firmware update has required an "intermediate step".  That was when the size of Orbi firmware exceeded the maximum that the installer was programmed to handle.  Netgear produced a special firmware release for the sole purpose of changing the maximum firmware size.  My guess is you can be pretty confident that you can skip this release and update to a new one when you want to.

On the "down side", suppose that someday you do need to install an intermediate firmware before making the "ultimate leap."  You do not have to endure the intermediate firmware for an extended time.  Simply update, then update again.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@franktribe wrote:

To preface, my Orbi system is rock solid. I have an RBR50 and 2 satellites. I am using Ethernet backhaul and do not have any issues with it. My wifi calling works when roaming. My Ring devices work great. It has been running very well on Firmware V2.3.1.60. That firmware feels very reliable on my system. I am investigating V2.3.5.30. But, I don't see any benefits, the bug fixes don't seem to apply to me. So, my question is more about the firmware release cycle and process. If I decide to skip this firmware and another one is released, do I need to upgrade to V2.3.5.30 before going to the next version? Or can I skip V2.3.5.30 and upgrade to the next version when it comes out?

Glad to hear your Orbi is working well.  My sugesstion, leave it alone.  NG changed their FW auto update policy to where now they only push (auto) updates that contain major revisions/updates.  Often people feel the urge to update and end up with problems.  

With regard to your update progression questions, your best bet is to get on over to the NG support / download section. (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx#download)

They talk about who's on first and who stole second.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If the system works, don't fix it. Smiley Very Happy

You can also upgrade to v30 and test it out if you want too. If it doesnt' work, you can revert back. NG isn't pushing FW updates via auto update anymore. They are letting users know thru the UI that there is an update should one be availalbe. User can manually download FW files and install them as well. I prefer this method myself. 

Good Luck. 

@franktribe wrote:

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the system works, don't fix it. Smiley Very Happy

You can also upgrade to v30 and test it out if you want too. If it doesnt' work, you can revert back. NG isn't pushing FW updates via auto update anymore. They are letting users know thru the UI that there is an update should one be availalbe. User can manually download FW files and install them as well. I prefer this method myself. 

Good Luck. 

@franktribe wrote:

Didn't I just say this...??

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Also be sure to save off a current backup configuration to file for safe keeping for each version of FW you get loaded. Comes in handy when you want to save time after FW updates. 

Good Luck. 

@franktribe wrote:

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Also be sure to save off a current backup configuration to file for safe keeping for each version of FW you get loaded. Comes in handy when you want to save time after FW updates. 

Perhaps.....However, not necessary IF you take the hands off approach.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7