Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware RBR40 2.5.1.16 keep disconnecting and auto update again after downgrade

kawaiikoibito28
Aspirant

Firmware RBR40 2.5.1.16 keep disconnecting and auto update again after downgrade

I had a RBR40 and RBS40 which was working fine ever since I bought it last year. But since yesterday the firmware got auto upgrade to 2.5.1.16 and it had been disconnecting every few mins. I tried to use the belwo telnet trick to force it not to upgrade but it still upgrade back to 2.5.1.16 whenever it detect internet connection (I even pull out the internet line when I do the downgrade so it won't auto upgrade it when I work on the orbi satellite downgrade). I also tried to block the keyboard with fw.updates1.netgear.com, netgear.com and such but it still auto download the firmware again and installed it. I'm really appreciate if someone can help on this because I'm in the mid of Working from Home and the internet is disconnecting every few mins on my remote session and it's really frustrating and feeling helpless. Thanks

1) Launch your favorite web browser and go to <Router IP Address>/debug.htm

2) Login <username> <password> when prompted

3) Check Enable Telnet

4) Start a Telnet session.  I use Putty.  Enter the <Router IP Address> Telnet is using port 23

5) You can skip this step if you like.  I am calling it out for illustration purposes only...  

Type nvram show | grep auto_* <ENTER>

You will see a list similar to this:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep auto_
vpn_access_mode=auto
wl_auto_antenna=1
set_auto_agreement=0
orbi_auto_upgrade=1
ipv6_autoConfig_dns_assign=0
ipv6_autoConfig_dns1=
ipv6_autoConfig_dns2=
upnp_enable_autoScan=0
ipv6_auto_dns_assign=0
bas_auto_conn_flag=0
orbi_auto_upg=0
autofw_port0=
ipv6_auto_dns1=
ipv6_auto_dns2=
qos_auto_bandwidth=0
green_enable_autorefresh_status=0
enable_dev_auto_refresh=1
wl_rate=auto
auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1
root@RBR50:/# root@RBR50:/#

The 3 configurations highlighted above you will want to update the value from =1 to =0

orbi_auto_upgrade=1

auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1

6) To update run the following commands:

nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0  <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_update=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

7) Type the following commands to confirm the 3 configurations are set to =0

nvram show | grep orbi_auto_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_check_for_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_update <ENTER>

😎 After you confirmed the 3 configuration values are set to =0 then type nvram commit <ENTER> (this step will save the changes)

9) Type exit to terminate the telnet session

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware RBR40 2.5.1.16 keep disconnecting and auto update again after downgrade

Try a full factory reset on the Orbi system after v16 is loaded. Setup from scratch to see if the system stablizes. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 32
kawaiikoibito28
Aspirant

Let me try to start from scratch tonight if that helps. 

Message 3 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted...

Message 4 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Keep us posted...

I am having the same issues after being auto upgraded to 2.5.1.16 on my RBR50. Last 2 days have been horrible and its affecting my ability to work from home.

Anyone figure anything out yet?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@TimmyTechTV wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Keep us posted...

I am having the same issues after being auto upgraded to 2.5.1.16 on my RBR50. Last 2 days have been horrible and its affecting my ability to work from home.

Anyone figure anything out yet?

Message 6 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

I was asking Kawaii if they had tried yet.

That said, as a software engineer, nothing you have in that list should need to be done after a firmware upgrade. If you have to factory reset to fix an issue, Netgear needs to fix their QA process.

My system has been rock solid for 2 years before this FW upgrade. Someone at Netgear dropped the ball, again...

Message 7 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

You have your options. Factory resets are valid and necessary in troubleshooting problems with any networking device. There maybe bad configurations or issues seen that cause problems. Not nessarily FW or coding problem. Factory resets have been apart of networking troubleshooting for years. Yes at most of the time, they shouldn't be needed however when needed, they do come in handy and have and do solve problems. Been many posts where they do. 

I'm on v16 with my RBK50 and haven't seen any issues since loading it. Working very well for me. 

If the newer FW isn't working for you, then you may want to revert back if you don't want to do a reset. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

I do appriciate your help, this is just pretty annoying.

I've run 5000+ server labs with crazy network setups, and while I have had to reset managed switches and routers before (even F5 NLBs), I guess I'm just used to that being called out by the company ahead of time in the upgrade instructions. Difference between enterprise and consumer I guess.

Of course, they don't auto push those updates either. 😉

Message 9 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

While I can appreciate your experiences and expertise in those environments, you'll need to understand that Orbi and home class HW will be different and when it comes to Orbi systems, they seem to be there own animal and have there own uniqueness about them. Especially when it comes to configurations and FW updates. Since being a volunteer here in the NG forums, I've seen many issues with Orbi, both HW, FW and user mis-configurtations. FW updates are in particular have been problematic over the years and yes, NG has put out put both good and bad FW. I and others have come to the conclusion that if users don't see problems after a FW udpate, then thats good. Keep going. For those that do, a reset maybe needed and for the most part does resolve the problem. It's been a mixed bag for everyone and for those of us trying to help out, it's just one thing that needs to be done to try and help the users get there stuff working. 

I for one keep resets as my primary step when FW updates are seen. I have mostly reset after FW updates have been released. Doing this for me and my systems just ensures that the system is working well. I have on occasion not done a reset and I have seen issues there which were corrected by a reset. So for me, this gives me reason to reset and do a clean setup from scratch. I can do the setup from scratch while sleeping however not everyone can do that and shouldn't have too all the time. FW updates and what gets pushed out by NG seems to be a on going problem since the start. It was even worse a couple of years ago when NG pushed FW to everyones systems regardless if they wanted it or not. Many systems broke after this. So after many complaints, NG re-configured what they were doing and only pushes out major versions in FW updates, minor versions are sent at notifications to users and it's up to users if they want to apply those or not. 

I still prefer manually downloading files and applying them myself. Setup from scratch, then save off a backup config to file. Doing this has afforded me good operations with Orbi systems. 

Message 10 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

Looks like doing the factory reset has worked, I did change my SSID and am slowly adding systems back to make sure that it isn't an issue with the number of devices. 

Message 11 of 32
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Just to add a little more to this, I’ve been through the whole telnet thing, but since Netgear stopped forcing auto updates, I’ve endeavored to minimize the number of changes to default settings on the off chance I’ll have to factory reset, which unfortunately happens all too often.
Once you get settled on this level, any new updates will be presented via notification, but not forced.
Message 12 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear the reset worked. Sometimes there maybe lingering code from prior FW or a configuration that gets stuck in the system. Just needs to be cleared out. 

After you get it all setup, be sure to make a new back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

@TimmyTechTV wrote:

Looks like doing the factory reset has worked, I did change my SSID and am slowly adding systems back to make sure that it isn't an issue with the number of devices. 

Message 13 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

Well, looks like I spoke too soon. 😞
Multiple times over the past hour where I basically have to reset the router to make it work again.
Message 14 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

Ok, after a lot of serching I've attempted these steps. So far it's been stable, but I'm not holding my breath.

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400 as default
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=1200
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit
Message 15 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

If it fails, try downgrading FW.

Message 16 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

4 hours with no drops so far. Will update again in the next day or two.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

Sadly it is still happening. This time though the entire router restarted.

Basic Infomation
 CPU Load12.0098%
 Memory Usage(Used/Total)141MB/495MB
 Flash Usage(Used/Total)2945MB/4096MB
 Network Session(Active/Total)3810/65536
 System Uptime00:02:46
Message 19 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you downgrade FW on the RBR and set same configuration? 

What is the mfr and model# of your ISP Modem or ONT? 

@TimmyTechTV wrote:

Sadly it is still happening. This time though the entire router restarted.

Basic Infomation
 CPU Load12.0098%
 Memory Usage(Used/Total)141MB/495MB
 Flash Usage(Used/Total)2945MB/4096MB
 Network Session(Active/Total)3810/65536
 System Uptime00:02:46

Message 20 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

I just downgraded the FW to 2.5.1.8 and applied the same settings to the router and satellites. 

I've seen a bunch of stuff about "too small of a house" for the system, but we have ~4000sqft house with 3 floors. So far neither of the satellites have had issues and our devices don't have issues unless the router reboots or the WAN dies and I have to manually reboot it. I even tried last night with no satellites and it still has the same issue.

Cable Modem is an Arris SB6183

Internet ISP is Comcast

Message 21 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

And nope. Just dropped again after ~40mins

Message 22 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem should be fine then. I had this modem however never had my Orbi connected to it. 

Using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router? CAT6 is recommended. 

You might contact NG support and see if they can review your debug logs. router IPaddress/debug.htm. Enable WAN/LAN packet capture as well. 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Message 23 of 32
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

Thanks for all the help. I'm willing to share the logs with someone if that helps, but I can't really afford to spend more time with this not working, so I'm headed out today to buy something different.

Message 24 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Find something that works better. 

Do you have a prior router by chance? If you so, you might try connecting that router up and use it as just a router. Disable any Wifi radios on it, then configure the RBR for AP mode. Something to try while you get in contact with NG support. They'll need to look at the logs. Ask about an RMA as well. 

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7