Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Target release or pace?

Chuck_M
Mentor

Firmware Target release or pace?

Anyone out there have any idea of the "pace" of firmware releases?  (e.g. about every 6 months, etc)?

Is there a schedule that they are shooting for on Firmware releases?

How about the Orbi Ap?

The reason I ask is that I see a lot of issues with software and firmware and am wondering what the pace of cleaning all these issues up is.

Someone has to have an idea -- 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
ChristineT
Admin

Good afternoon Obri Community! 

Thanks for the shout out @ekhalil!! 

@Chuck_M - Thank you for providing your feedback here! @ekhalil is correct in that we are expecting a new Beta firmware to be released in the upcoming weeks.  I have sent you a private message with the link to the Beta Community for Orbi. I recommend subscribing to the board so you can be alerted when the new beta firmware is posted.

I'll also review the thread you have mentioned and be sure to reach out to those folks as well! 

Kind Regards to all,

Christine

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What problems are you having with your system? Some problems are not FW releated. 

NG doesn't post when FW updates are forthcoming. You can look at the relased FW and the dates they are released to get an idea of when FW updates happen.

Post what problems your having and lets see if we can help find out weather it's FW related or something else. Users have posted seeing various issues in all the different FW versions. Some we have been able to help resolved with troubleshooting steps. There are many factors that can cause issues with wifi routers besides bad FW. 

Message 2 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

Thank you for telling what I can and cant post or ask questions about. (</sarcasm>)

I had no idea you were in charge. </evenmoresarcasm>

There are a litnay of issues with the Orbi App, Firmware shortfalls, firmware functional requests.   It sure would be nice to know if there is a plan to resolve any of those -- or a focused weight of effort.  You know, put the customer first and keep them informed?

A forum based community is there for the exchange of information, not just the type of questions a single person wishes they had been asked.

My question about firmware and software schedules was for my own curiosity after reading pages of issues that all end with "what version of firmware are you running?" or continually trying to refresh the orbi ap to get it to display devices on the network.

I guess Netgear's release schedule is super top secret and no one out here has a need to know.  

My Orbi setup is working just fine.  I want more functionality and am curious as to when it may be coming.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

My responsed was in regard to having you post more information if you were having problems, not to tell you what can and can't be posted. 

FWIW, no router mfr posts when or what or what will be forth coming. Thats never been made public. Why should it be, it's based on what router mfrs decide to do for there products and how they want to market them and develop them. Yes it would be nice to know what maybe coming down the pipe, however it's been like this for a while now. Kind of industry wide as well. It's up to companies to deside one what they want to make public. NG is in charge, not me. 

Good Luck.  

Message 4 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

So -- after that brief hiatus, let's go back to my original community question since this is a community forum and we dont really expect any Netgear-led official tech support to go on here... Just normal discussions between us low-life customers being kept in the dark....

Has anyone tracked or noticed the PACE of fielding of pervious versions of either/or Firmware or the Orbi app?

E.g. historically have they updated quarterly, annually etc? or has it been totally random?

I would suspect that based on the past, one could deduce how Netgear plots out future iterations.

Why do I ask??

Do I have issues with my system?  No.  Would I like additional capabilities that will come with future development?  Yes

This was the precise reason I abandoned Luma... Luma decided to not support their product with routine firmware upgrades and app support.

What are other reasons I would like to know?

Does the Orbi app suck?  YesEspecially on an android.  You cannot connect remotely, it doesnt display the network diagram properly and is all around clumsy.  Does the Circle App work well?  No.  It is also clumsy and very limited.

The potential of Orbi is great; but the current implementation needs work.  By understanding the above, perhaps users can get less frustrated with the usual barrage of workarounds and resets with hope things will continually improve

In case you want to know, I have the AC3000 and two sattelites with current firmware loaded.  I have about 120 wireless devices of all types; mostly speakers and home automation devices.  Cox is my internet provider at ~350 on a good day and Arris cable modem.  My two sattelites are hard-wired back to the router and I have an unmanaged switch or two for the wired side of the system.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 5 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

So -- after that brief hiatus, let's go back to my original community question since this is a community forum and we dont really expect any Netgear-led official tech support to go on here... Just normal discussions between us low-life customers being kept in the dark....

Has anyone tracked or noticed the PACE of fielding of pervious versions of either/or Firmware or the Orbi app?

E.g. historically have they updated quarterly, annually etc? or has it been totally random?

I would suspect that based on the past, one could deduce how Netgear plots out future iterations.

Why do I ask??

Do I have issues with my system?  No.  Would I like additional capabilities that will come with future development?  Yes

This was the precise reason I abandoned Luma... Luma decided to not support their product with routine firmware upgrades and app support.

What are other reasons I would like to know?

Does the Orbi app suck?  YesEspecially on an android.  You cannot connect remotely, it doesnt display the network diagram properly and is all around clumsy.  Does the Circle App work well?  No.  It is also clumsy and very limited.

The potential of Orbi is great; but the current implementation needs work.  By understanding the above, perhaps users can get less frustrated with the usual barrage of workarounds and resets with hope things will continually improve

In case you want to know, I have the AC3000 and two sattelites with current firmware loaded.  I have about 120 wireless devices of all types; mostly speakers and home automation devices.  Cox is my internet provider at ~350 on a good day and Arris cable modem.  My two sattelites are hard-wired back to the router and I have an unmanaged switch or two for the wired side of the system.

I agree with you. I think that there are currently few SW bugs that need to be fixed and therefore a soon SW update is needed.

According to a recent message from @ChristineT "NG is working on a new firmware to be added to the beta forum in the upcoming weeks.". I really hope that this will be coming soon.

Please PM @ChristineT if you don't already have access. 

Message 6 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

Good stuff and the kind of info that is useful!

The beta community has about 17 pages of folks who have asked to be part of it, but I never see anyone actually IN it... I know if a beta doesnt exist there is no work to do, but does the beta community remain active between releases?

Message 7 of 17
ChristineT
Admin

Good afternoon Obri Community! 

Thanks for the shout out @ekhalil!! 

@Chuck_M - Thank you for providing your feedback here! @ekhalil is correct in that we are expecting a new Beta firmware to be released in the upcoming weeks.  I have sent you a private message with the link to the Beta Community for Orbi. I recommend subscribing to the board so you can be alerted when the new beta firmware is posted.

I'll also review the thread you have mentioned and be sure to reach out to those folks as well! 

Kind Regards to all,

Christine

Message 8 of 17
Flash008
Luminary

With all the focus on beta testing for Orbi. Is there anything Netgear wishes to share concerning Orbi Pro? For those of us who paid more for the “PRO” version, along with the commitment that PRO would be business centered, with business features.

Anything? A schedule software release date?

An estimate on feature requests?

Anything?????

Message 9 of 17
ChristineT
Admin

Good afternoon @Flash008,

In case you haven't already seen the latest update, please visit SRR60 / SRS60 Firmware Version 2.2.2.20 for firmware posted as of 12/17/18. I'd also like to share that Orbi Pro discussions are located on a different board in the community. I only say that as we have two separate teams that support the respective home and business products and may be able to respond to your inquiries more quickly. 🙂 

Best Regards,

Christine 

Message 10 of 17
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

@ChristineT

Any chance I can get that link also ?
Message 11 of 17
Joechang
Apprentice

IPV6 connection is dropping constantly, pls be noted.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-IPv6-Stops-Working/m-p/1688275#M49569
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 12 of 17
alstsmith
Apprentice

Hi @ChristineT 

Sent you a PM, I'm keen to jump onto the Orbi beta firmware too if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Message 13 of 17
updatedmike
Aspirant

I was a member of the beta community at one point but don't seem to have access.  How may I obtain this access again?

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make your beta FW requests here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@alstsmith wrote:

Hi @ChristineT 

Sent you a PM, I'm keen to jump onto the Orbi beta firmware too if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make your beta FW requests here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@updatedmike wrote:

I was a member of the beta community at one point but don't seem to have access.  How may I obtain this access again?

Message 16 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@updatedmike wrote:

Please PM your interest to @ChristineT 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7