Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update Nightmares - The Never Ending Saga...

OrbiDemigod
Apprentice

Firmware Update Nightmares - The Never Ending Saga...

It's been almost 1 year since my Orbi has been unplugged, serving as a $400 brick in the corner of my shelf, still staring at my Orbi everyday, as a reminder that this company wasted $400 (plus tax) of my hard earned money. Part of me wants to cry, and the other part of me silent, angered, betrayed a company could ever do this to its customers.

I have moved on to the Netgear XR500 Gaming Router ($300) the past year. A decision I don't regret as the brand is still Netgear.

Let the stories begin...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
Ajzach
Initiate

Thanks a lot ...I did as suggested and problem solved

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the manual FW file load on your system and then factory reset and setup from scratch? 

Others reported this method worked for them.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

I always use this method on my Orbi and NG routers. Even after autoupdating. 

I believe the problem is in the autoupdate process and how that system applies FW to users systems. Just doesn't seem to do a correct application of FW that allows the user to continue using the router and causes problems soon after it's applied or breaks something internally. Seen this with my system in beta testing. After doing a FW re-load manully AND a reset and setup from scratch, the system works as expected. Aside of oddities of Access Controls not working, and Daisy Chain seem to be broke or working in reverse on v210, it's overall working. 

Have you asked about an RMA? 

Message 2 of 20
Ragar99
Luminary

To answer you question all Netgear has done is slow down the delivery of firmware updates which does reduce misery given their spiffy auto update feature. 

My suggestion is use Orbi's in AP mode only, I've only had one issue since going to AP mode shortly after purchase a year+ ago.  That is what these things are good for...wifi, so AP mode and pair with a good router is the way to go.

Message 3 of 20
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Coming here, I have often wondered what percentage of the Orbi installed base are represented. Looking at Amazon and Best Buy, there seems to be a lot of content people, and looking at tech mag reviews Orbi is always up there. I have had my Orbi system for over a year. Netgear modem, Orbi set in router mode. Through all the firmware updates I have had exactly two events: One satellite disconnected and was stubborn in reconnection, but with a bit of manipulation came back on line and continued to perform just fine. The other event was daisy chain doing wierd stuff. After figuring out what that was all about and doing a work around, everything came back great. Currently I have 28 devices hooked up to Orbi, and over Christmas with hosting a house full, there were 40. No one complained and everyone was able to do what they wanted to do on line in every corner of the house, without affecting my home devices operations at all. My house is about 2600 sq. ft. and people were doing their facetime out in the detached pergula, or in front looking at a guest's new truck and googling to see if he really got a good deal.

Just saying. For everyone who needs to tell about looking at a brick for a year, despising the choice they made, there are countless others who have had a year or more worth of experience, shaky firmware updates and all, of getting their money's worth. I bought Orbi for coverage with performance (believe me, it is not the most unobtrusive design out there but it does have big antennas). I retired my trusty RT-ac68U and Netgear extender and instead of having 5GHz fall off the clifff with distance from the old trusty Asus (and extender signals are sucky at best), have the available wifi connections I need with signal strengths that never drop below -50 db, and run -30 to -40 db at ten feet from router and each satellite. 

Message 4 of 20
dorqus
Guide

FWIW I've had really no issues with the Orbi's (RBR50 and one RBS50) in router mode, connected to my Optimum cable modem (can't recall the brand, and I'm not in the same room as it is right now)   I'm using firmware 2.2.1.210.  Don't have a complex setup, not a huge house, router and satellite are connected wirelessly, I don't have ethernet anywhere in my house.
So it's Optimum -> Cable Modem -> RBR50.
I have a printer and Raspberry Pi connected to the satellite, everything else (a mix of iPhones, a few Android tablets/phones, X-Box 1, two "smart" TVs, a laptop, some chromebooks, Mac Mini are all connected wirelessly.  Since I installed the Orbi I've not had a single issue with Netflix on the smart TVs - previously with the Optimum branded D-Link router I'd have to power cycle the TV or the WiFi router to get Netflix to works.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Message 5 of 20
Ragar99
Luminary

@JoeCymru wrote:

Coming here, I have often wondered what percentage of the Orbi installed base are represented. Looking at Amazon and Best Buy, there seems to be a lot of content people, and looking at tech mag reviews Orbi is always up there.

Using Fakespot, most Orbi products on Amazon score pretty poorly.  The other thing to consider is if a product like Orbi works for 90%, fails for 10% vs Google wifi at 99% and 1%, you'll have 10x pissed people posting on the Orbi product forum, yet each can have 4+ stars on Amazon.

Message 6 of 20
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Then again, looking at the Google WiFi and Velop and other mesh router communities, it all is strangley reminiscent of our own.

Message 7 of 20
gdclark1041
Tutor

I recently installed an RBR50 with one Satellite; replacing my previous, two-year old R8500 Nighthawk. The Nighthawk lost connectivity to the Internet, but still would broadcast local Wifi (LAN). So, I thought this would be a good time to try something new (Mesh). So far, the experience has not been flawless, but overall, it has shown to be a good investment. I upgraded to the latest FW shortly after installing, manipulated a few configuration settings and have integrated my MOCA (TIVO) network with the new configuration. My experience has been good, although I lost my MOCA network for a period just before New Years and had to reconfigure. 

Overall, I have no significant complaints, but do question why some confguration settings are offered (Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, etc.) while others are not (QOS). I'm still testing some of the available features to determine if using any will make a performance differnce, but overall I I'm extermely satisfied with my decision to go this route. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 20
ChristineT
Admin

Hello Orbi Community Members,

Happy New Year to all of you! I'd like to take an opportunity to chime in (if I may).

@OrbiDemigod - If you chose to give your Orbi WiFi System another try, I'd like to specifically address a possible issue with updating the firmware on an Orbi system that has been offline (unplugged) for an extended period of time. It is possible that the number of updates that have been provided during this period may not allow you to cleanly update to the current firmware version since there may be some dependencies that were introduced in a previous firmware version that has not yet been installed on your system.

Please update the system to firmware version 2.1.4.16 prior to updating to the most recent version. 

Here is a helpful article that provides instructions on how to manually update your system: How do I manually update the firmware on my Orbi WiFi System?

Please note: if your system is not RBK50 please browse by product: Orbi - Browse by Model

• There are two files you'll need to download. One for the Router (RBR50) and another for the Satellite (RBS50)
  • Once you have updated your system to firmware version 2.1.4.16 you should be able to use the automated process within the Orbi Admin Console to check/install updates. 

I am happy to work with you directly if further assistance is needed. 

Thank you one and all for your input on this topic!

Best Regards,

Christine 

Message 9 of 20
Ajzach
Initiate

'"Hi All

I just bought a RBK50 AC 3000 and am struggling to update the firmware, first off I bought the product at a heavily discounted price here in the swiss market from a shop that was closing down, so the product was in their shelf for a long time. Thus te FW the RBK and RBS use as is default from the box is  V1.4.0.18 , and I am trying to update it to the latest.

I read up the some prvious posts and thus tried to download the FW manually and then update the FW , but I keep getting "Please select correct configuration file" message and so am not able to upload the downloaded FW . What should I do? from my post it should be clear that I am a total noob at this, I was expectig an out of box and easy to setup/ pdate device...Please help

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to update the satellites first then the router. 

You need to download an intermediate version of FW for both Satellites and router, lets try Version 2.0.0.74. Also download the recent v210 version as well for both. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Have the satellites connected to the router with the currnet version and send the intermediate version of FW to the satelites first. Then after those are updated, update the router. Once both are on the intermediate version, send the v210 to the satellites then send it to the router. Then you should be all caught up. I would do full factory reset after v210 is applied and set everythinng up from scratch. 

After you set up the router and system, do a Backup of the router to file. Save this file for later use if you need to factory reset the router. Saves time on setup after the reset. 

@Ajzach wrote:

'"Hi All

I just bought a RBK50 AC 3000 and am struggling to update the firmware, first off I bought the product at a heavily discounted price here in the swiss market from a shop that was closing down, so the product was in their shelf for a long time. Thus te FW the RBK and RBS use as is default from the box is  V1.4.0.18 , and I am trying to update it to the latest.

I read up the some prvious posts and thus tried to download the FW manually and then update the FW , but I keep getting "Please select correct configuration file" message and so am not able to upload the downloaded FW . What should I do? from my post it should be clear that I am a total noob at this, I was expectig an out of box and easy to setup/ pdate device...Please help

Message 11 of 20
Ajzach
Initiate

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Mark this solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@Ajzach wrote:

Message 13 of 20
ChristineT
Admin

Hello Orbi Community,

I'd like to take an opportunity to acknowledge some of the frustration that is being expressed here as it relates to previous firmware updates that introduced a performance issue for a number of users. Within a recent firmware version, we were able to discover and fix the root cause of this very complex issue that plagued some but not all Orbi customers. I can confirm we have received highly positive feedback about the latest firmware and strongly encourage users to ensure their Orbi systems are updated accordingly. 

With that said, I'm happy to work directly with any of you if further assistance is needed. 🙂

Best Regards,

Christine  

Message 14 of 20
tgarvey
Tutor

Hello Christine, it's good to see someone from NG posting.  I am among the many who have had, and are still having chronic satellite disconnect probels with my RBR 40 router and three RBS 20 satellites.  I have tried the various suggestions that Furry has posted, to no avail.  You mention a recent new FW update. You've also mentioned that a new FW update is coming in the next few weeks.  Can you clarify?  I'm on 2.2.1.210.  When I "Check" for updates, it says there are none, so I assume that's the latest.

Thanks,

Tom

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and ask about a beta version of FW if available. There was a post regarding asking for help from Community members for beta FW testing. NG doesn't post when FW updates for forth coming. Always check NG support web page to see what is the latest for your model Orbi. v210 is currently the lastest. 

Have you done a FW file re-load on the system, factory reset and setup from scratch. Others reported doing this and it helped get there systems working better. 

Did you contact NG support about an RMA as well? 

@tgarvey wrote:

Hello Christine, it's good to see someone from NG posting.  I am among the many who have had, and are still having chronic satellite disconnect probels with my RBR 40 router and three RBS 20 satellites.  I have tried the various suggestions that Furry has posted, to no avail.  You mention a recent new FW update. You've also mentioned that a new FW update is coming in the next few weeks.  Can you clarify?  I'm on 2.2.1.210.  When I "Check" for updates, it says there are none, so I assume that's the latest.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 16 of 20
Warshock
Aspirant

Hi Christine,

I just experienced the nightmare just this morning. Now my RBR50 is dead as a brick
Message 17 of 20
DickDuke
Apprentice

@tgarvey wrote:

Thanks,

Tom

I have a very similar setup, and can confirm that the latest firmware has made a substantial POSITIVE impact on performance. My previously unreliable RBR40 is now rock solid.

BTW You’ll have better luck following the manual update process - just remember to ALWAYS update the satellite firmware before updating the router.

Message 18 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Warshock

Have you tried resetting the router? 

Please contact support to better isolate the issue for possible hardware problem

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 19 of 20
Warshock
Aspirant

Hi Blanca,
Yes I did. I followed the instructions on hoe to reset it
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7