Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Update Problems for Orbi RBK50

lrmasonjr
Aspirant

Firmware Update Problems for Orbi RBK50

Can't update the firmware for the RBS50 or RBR50.  Both satellite and router are running firmware V2.0.1.4_1.0.0.6 and it's working with a Verizon FiOS router.  I tried the automated method and got an error "service unreachable"  When trying the manual method, I downloaded the proper .img file but it failed to upload getting an error message  "The firmware file is incorrect."  I've tried multiple RBS firmware versions for the satellite and tried this both through the normal network management screen and logging directly into the satellite's IP address--no joy.  Tried netgear tech support but they could not solve the problem even after a full system reset.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware Update Problems for Orbi RBK50

Try using a intermediate FW version before upgrading to v.16. I ran into same issue setting up my friends 50 series kit a couple of weeks back:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

The version i used is listed in that link...

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 6
lrmasonjr
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I tried to use interim firmware versions and even tried to downgrade to a lower version than the one that's on my system (V2.0.1.4_1.0.0.6).  No luck.  The automatic option yeilds "service unreachable" and the manual option still kicks back an error that states "The firmware file is incorrect...."  I'm using the Orbi in AP mode with a direct LAN to LAN connection with a Verizon FiOS router.  Have double checked to make sure I'm using the RBS file for the satellite.  Is this defective hardware?

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using?

Did you download the same version file that I used? it worked for me...

I would factory reset the router and after you ensure you have ALL the correct files for the system downloaded, disconnect the router from the FIOS, and disaconnect everything else accept for 1 wired PC. I used IE11 to do the upgrades on my friends system to get it updated. I had the satellite connected wirelessly in the same room and upgraded it first, then the router. Then updgraded the satellite to the next v.10 version, then the router. Once both were on v.10, I connected the router to the ISP modem and the router found v.16, I used the routers web page this time to update BOTH satellite and router at the same time with out downloading the FW files.

If you can't seem to get the system updated correctly, I would contact NG support and ask for help and information on this...Possible that something is faulty and needs to be RMAd.

Message 4 of 6
Procedure7
Aspirant

When you buy a router from Verizon will not let you update a Firmware and it will vulnerable for attacks is anyone has a solution to update a Firmware on the Orbi 50 V2.0.1.4_1.0.0.6 it says service unreachable.  

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Manually download the FW files from NGs support site for the model Orbi that you have. Update the satellites first then the Orbi router last. Use wired ethernet cable connections with each device for this process.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@Procedure7 wrote:

When you buy a router from Verizon will not let you update a Firmware and it will vulnerable for attacks is anyone has a solution to update a Firmware on the Orbi 50 V2.0.1.4_1.0.0.6 it says service unreachable.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7