Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update error

Stallion69
Tutor

Firmware Update error

Everytime i try to check for updates on formware, it gives me a "Firmware Check Error". I am currently on version 2.3.1.44.  Can anybody help please...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Using the mobile app or web browser? 

Try a full power OFF of the ISP Modem and Orbi system for 30 seconds. Power ON the modem first and let it sync. Then power ON the RBS and RBR. Let it come to ready. 

Check the FW upate with a wired PC and web browser with the RBR.

@Stallion69 wrote:

Everytime i try to check for updates on formware, it gives me a "Firmware Check Error". I am currently on version 2.3.1.44.  Can anybody help please...

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Stallion69 wrote:

Could you please describe how you are checking for firmware updates?  Is it using the web interface and the "Firmware Update" page under Administrarion on the Advanced Tab, or are you using the Orbi app?

Thanks

Message 3 of 13
Stallion69
Tutor

I am using my ORBI App....

Message 4 of 13
Stallion69
Tutor

I am using the ORBI App to check for Firmware upgrade

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, it seems there have been several posts recently about the Orbi "app" generating errors when trying to do a firmware update.

I have little experience with the app myself.  My practice is to open a web browser and navigate to the Orbi web interface.  The app will show the IP address of the Orbi router, so I navigate to http://<ip of router>, and enter the administrative login ("admin") and password.  Under the Advanced Tab->Administration->Firmware Update, I either wait a minute for Orbi to look for updates or click on the "Check if a new firmware update is available."

As a confirmed "luddite", I much prefer the web interface to the Orbi app.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about the Orbi app not working for checking on FW updates over in the Orbi app forum. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

NG needs to know about this if they don't already. @Blanca_O 

Message 7 of 13
Stallion69
Tutor

How do you update using the web interface?  I am having some issues.

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Stallion69 wrote:

There are two ways to update firmware using the web interface: automatic and manual.

To do an automatic update open a web browser and navigate to the Orbi web interface. i.e. http://<ip address of the router>.  (In the app, click on the picture of the house, then Settings, then Router settings.  My router's IP is 192.168.1.1)  Enter the administrative login ("admin") and administrative password. Under the Advanced Tab->Administration->Firmware Update, I either wait a minute for Orbi to look for updates or click on the "Check if a new firmware update is available."

If the automatic update doesn't work, a manual update requires two steps:  First, use a web browser to locate the Download page for your Orbi model.  Download the firmware files for router and satellite.  Once they are on your PC (Mac?), extract the image (.img) files from the zip file.  (Is there a zip file extractor for iPhone and Android?  Beats me!)  With the web browser, navigate first to the satellites and click on "Firmware Update" on the satellite home page.  After the satellites, go to the Firmware Update page (as above), only this time click on the Manual Update tab and follow the directions.

Hope this makes sense.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the suggestions. Let us know if you need help. 

@Stallion69 wrote:

Message 10 of 13

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for finding the link.  Will save lots of typing (and errors!) as this question comes up all the time.

I do have a tiny "quibble" with using orbilogin.com, which implies that the Orbi DNS function is operating correctly.  By the time people get desperate enough to perform a manual firmware update, things are not going well with their Orbi. Also, I seem to recall several users posting problems with "cannot reach orbilogin.com"  (If the Orbi is in AP mode, does the primary router resolve orbilogin.com to the correct IP?)

Message 12 of 13

@CrimpOn wrote:

I do have a tiny "quibble" ....

Only one? Netgear's documentation is horrid and usually out of date.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7